1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Monk straps: Any regrets?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by brandall10, Dec 28, 2009.

1. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

2. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

^^^Looks good.

3. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

Thanks. My all time fav shoe.

4. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Thanks. My all time fav shoe.

They're lovely.

I still prefer the Jermyn II.

5. MarkI

MarkI Senior member

Buy them you wont regret it

6. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

7. ninetofivereject

ninetofivereject Senior member

kind of a cool name for a band too,now playing....DOUBLE MONK!!!!!

8. Leather man

Leather man Senior member

No regets
    Bonora
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Barrett
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

I have never seen monk shoes like your Barretts before but I love them! The apron top style/grained leather/double strap combination really works!

9. Fantastic Mr Foxx

Fantastic Mr Foxx Senior member

I think after reading this thread, I'm going to get a pair (by Santoni). I have also been wrestling with the thought of purchasing a pair of brown double monkstrap shoes and today is the day that I'm really convinced that owning a pair is a pride. Thanks

Regards

Fantastic Mr Foxx

10. brandall10

brandall10 Senior member

Just got 'em (apologies for crappy iphone pic). The fit is outstanding using same size as 337. [​IMG]

11. IST66

IST66 Senior member

This is my "Lowndes"
    [​IMG]

12. mechanical pencil

mechanical pencil Senior member

Has Alden ever made a double monk?

Single looks pretty good though, mmm....

13. Francisco D'Anconia

Francisco D'Anconia Senior member

Dump GF, get monks. Snuggle into SF's bosom for comfort.

^ Best advice here save the SF bosom thing. Just find another girlfriend. There's plenty of qalified candidates available.

Alright, you guys got me. I'm doing it! PLAL has them in my size, but the only remaining caveat is I avoid buying stuff on credit if at all possible, and if I can't wait till next month then this will be a credit purchase, December being what it is. So I just sent a note asking when they believe the online cutoff from C&J will be.

My girlfriend has been pretty supportive of all my StyleForum-enthused purchases to this point. She just said no to these and to the Weymouths for my first C&J purchase (ended up getting Audleys, although she preferred the Hallams).

^ GF said no to the C&J Weymouth!! Get your balls out of her purse and dump her regardless of whether she warms up to the Lowndes.

Just got 'em (apologies for crappy iphone pic). The fit is outstanding using same size as 337.

[​IMG]

^ So, now that you have the Lowndes on your feet, any regrets? Do you still hve the same girlfriend? Whay does she say about the Lowndes?

My brown AE Moras, modified to replace the rectangular stainless steel buckels with more traditional, and less "blingy" brass. I love these shoes. The only comments I hear about them are flattering....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. brandall10

brandall10 Senior member

^ Wow, those buckles look great, really dig the more classic vibe of the shoe.

Girlfriend's still in the picture. She had an unenthusiastic "nice shoes", but I just walked around the living room in crappy chinos (raining today). So they haven't been put to the test so to speak. No regrets at this moment. They feel freakin' fantastic on my feet, best dress shoes yet. Not sure if it's being a monk or simply the last, but it somehow feels roomier yet more conforming to my foot compared to the 337.

15. Sixth_Sense

Sixth_Sense Senior member

My C&J Lowndes were delivered today (purchased them from Bodiley's)

BEAUTIFUL SHOES! Unfortunately, I cannot wear them right now as I do not want to expose them to the weather conditions in NYC right now...blah

Can't wait to test them out next week.

16. woolymammoth

woolymammoth Senior member

17. Shikar

Shikar Senior member

^...thanks for the reminder, will wear mine tonight!

Regards.

18. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

Resurrecting this thread -- is there a pair of double monks that one would recommend as the best? I see G&G has some, JL, C&J, etc. but I don't know which one to get. Thus, I come to SF for recommendation. I generally dress more fashion forward for lack of a better word (slim suits, etc.).

19. woolymammoth

woolymammoth Senior member

Not fashion forward but... I think the John Lobb Wallace makes the list for best double-monk. Dark brown museum and black museum pictured.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  20. Needsmoreshoes

Needsmoreshoes Senior member

I'd have to argue for the GG Mayfair on the TG73 for best looking double monkstrap. Primarily on the fact I like that Bespoke England has a really transparent MTO system and also for GGs solework; I've never seen anything quite as great on JL