• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Monk Strap Shoes

DandySF

Reaction score
After looking at some monk strap shoes I was initially interested in getting a pair.  However, after some additional thought, I realized that all of the shoe's visual interest, the buckle and strap, would be lost under the trouser cuff.  All that would be visible is the long laceless front of the shoe.  It seems it would end up looking like some sort of a boot, which is not my preference.  

Have others given any thought to this concern or had experiences contrary to my expectations?  

The shoe in question is made under Brooks Brothers' private label, Peal & Co.  I was initially drawn to the burnished quality of the brown shoe.  I need to determine if a fresh pair from the box will have a similar color quality or if the floor sample has benefited by being handled by many oily hands.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a fan of the Monk Strap style. BTW, Zappos is the best site for shoes. Great service. I particularly like the Belvedere brand. And, recently, became aware of the Vigotti shoes. They have their Neal style on sale right now in limited sizes (unfortunately, not my size )
sad.gif

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
monk strap looks bad. I don't own any and don't plan to. Supposedly, a bit of the strap will show under the trouser's break.

luc

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really like monks. No, they don't look like boots. When you're walking or sitting, the buckle will show (unless you're wearing pajama-type trousers that are two inches longer than necessary).

jtgudbln

Reaction score
I bought that pair of Peal monks and wear it primarily with a blazer. Unless you are wearing your trousers very long, there will be some visual interest in the strap and buckle. I've gotten many compliments on the beauty of these shoes. Give them a nice shine and you will be surprised. I've worn monks since I was a kid.

-Jim-

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Do you stand in one place all day? The strap and buckle on my monkstraps sometimes show when I'm walking and always when I am sitting.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I love 'em too. They do sort of look like boots. A little. If they're made from good skins and you polish them up to a high shine, that long expanse of leather from the throat to the toe is just gorgeous.

HitMan009

Reaction score
If they're made from good skins and you polish them up to a high shine, that long expanse of leather from the throat to the toe is just gorgeous.
Speak the gospel, Manton.... Speak the gospel

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love 'em too. Â They do sort of look like boots. Â A little. Â If they're made from good skins and you polish them up to a high shine, that long expanse of leather from the throat to the toe is just gorgeous.
have to agree with manton. but I love anckle boots and monk straps.

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love 'em too. Â They do sort of look like boots. Â A little. Â If they're made from good skins and you polish them up to a high shine, that long expanse of leather from the throat to the toe is just gorgeous.
I love them also. The slight resemblance to boots stops with the low top of the shoe. And the whole of the shoe leather is not encumbered with that mess of laces. The elegant leather strap is much more attractive, and may also be more comfortable if you have a higher bone over the instep or arch. Styles can be found with the toe and vamp in practically as many configurations as with laceups. While some may prefer other styles because of their personal taste, I can see no reason to "hate" them.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own one pair of monkstraps and I love them. They're more comfortable than lace-ups and my heels don't slip like they do in loafers. The monks are very, very comfortable (I think I must have high arches). My monkstraps are also medallion captoes and IMO look very sharp. Since some of the pants I wear have tapered legs and are too short to cuff (I have a 36" inseam), the buckles show quite a bit when I'm moving or sitting. I plan to buy many more pairs of monkstraps. It seems you either love 'em or hate 'em.

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen a white buck in a monk strap style shoe?  I believe I may have seen them long ago, but cannot remember for certain.  Anyway, that could be a distinctive and very sharp summer shoe.  If there was a real good way to deal with the buckle mark on the strap.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I love monks as well, a pair of well made black monk straps should be one of the first purchases made when building a shoe wardrobe. And they do look somewhat like boots when you are standing, which I like.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads