• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Monk strap or Penny loafer?

Semin Park

Reaction score
I'm still a student, just graduated secondary school (high school) in Europe, and I am going to get a new pair of shoes.

I would like to become fashionable, but still I need to think about building my basic wardrobe, so here's the question.

I already have a pair of classic black oxford, so this time it's either going to be a dark brown penny loafer or a dark brown monk double strap. I'm thinking of getting it from Meermin.

This shoe will be worn either with a suit (in casual occasions) or with casual clothes (even with shorts in the summer, without socks). So if it were you, which would you pick? Also, would suede be better, or would leather look better? I think suede will be hard to fit with a suit as well as to wear it without socks, so I'm leaning towards leather, but I'm open to other opinions and suggestions, so please share your wisdom with the newbie :)

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing penny loafers with a suit will get you slapped by the Styleforum police (we are global). With the monkstraps you may receive a brow beating, but if you move quickly, you'll live to see another day.
Welcome to Styleforum.

Semin Park

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

When I say 'suit', I'm talking about a casual look, but is that not acceptable?

http://www.maxmayo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/navy-grey-cognac-double-monks-men-style.jpg

This is kind of similar to what I'm aiming for, although I am going for a much darker monk strap as I don't want the whole attention to be on my foot...

What would then be a good shoe to buy that could pull off both a casual suit look and a real casual (shorts and shirt) look, if you don't mind answering?

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no one shoe that does everything well. I can't think of a single shoe that works well with a suit or with shorts. Really though, why would there be? These looks are at the extreme ends of the formality spectrum.

Semin Park

Reaction score
Yeah you're right. I thought I've seen people wear shorts with monk straps and pull it off great, but now that I search again, I think I saw something else.

Then how about chino pants with monk straps? Is that okay? I think I've seen that combination often in preppy style with a blazer on top.

I think I'll search a little more on which shoe goes well with what style and come back :)

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you are better off getting 2 pairs. One for casual suits/sport coats/chinos, and a completely different pair for shorts.

Semin Park

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.

With my current broke student money, I can only afford one, so I think I'm going to go for dark brown double monk strap and wear it with casual suits and chinos.

I have a couple pair of espadrilles for shorts anyway, so no problem with that.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it's an interesting question. My own list of shoes to wear with shorts is a short one and includes neither of your choices.

Having said that, obviously there are many pics on SF of guys pulling off penny's and shorts. But at the other end of the "loafer spectrum," the only suits I've seen paired with loafers to good effect are very casual/seasonal suits like linen, seersucker, etc.

So, given the two options, a penny loafer might technically qualify. But practically speaking, you are probably better off selecting your next two pair, buying one now and the other when funds allow.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As for shoes with shorts, I have a hard time figuring this out. So far I have come up with Allen Edmonds Sanibel and Preston. Any other recommendations?

SimplyLime

Reaction score
Monk strap with shorts tried it, very hard to pull of the model look.

Stick with loafers for more casual outfits (chino pants, shorts)

Stick with monk straps on dressier casual outfits (chino pants, slacks)

IMO monk straps are somewhere between loafers and laced up shoes
could be used to dress up casually or dress down formally

Advice: Get one of each (double monk straps pref in dark brown/tan and loafers in any brown)

Last edited:

Balfour

Reaction score
Oh, whatever you do please avoid double monks. It's such an iGent cliche, and they look fussy. Someone once commented "leprechaun's shoes" (forget who), and the expression stuck with me.

A single monk has long been established as a classic in England (although again not to my taste).

As for loafers, one can certainly wear loafers with suits. In the real world this happens all the time (and not just by the Dilberts of this world, Prime Minister Cameron and President Bush for example often wear / wore loafers with suits). Tassled loafers with suits in an American classic. But starting off I'd aim to learn the rules before deciding which ones to break.

In your position, you're covered for suits with your oxfords. I'd consider looking at bluchers in mid-to-dark brown for maximum versatility, picking up a cheap loafer (Sebago) or boat shoe as well to cover off the shorts.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Get the basics sorted then move along to get some flexibility.

Do not wear loafers with a suit. Tasseled or otherwise. This is emphasised by the fact that if Cameron and Bush threw them on why would you?

Double monks work superbly well and are in no way a cliche, Balfour says they look busy and they can do, fair enough. Done well, they look very good look :nodding:

Balfour

Reaction score
Get the basics sorted then move along to get some flexibility.

Agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleav

Do not wear loafers with a suit. Tasseled or otherwise. This is emphasised by the fact that if Cameron and Bush threw them on why would you?
Double monks work superbly well and are in no way a cliche, Balfour says they look busy and they can do, fair enough. Done well, they look very good look
nod[1].gif
As you say, there are different perspectives on this. I would encourage anyone attracted to the double monk to consider a classic single monk as an alternative.

Last edited:

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

As you say, there are different perspectives on this.  I would encourage anyone attracted to the double monk to consider a classic single monk as an alternative.

Fair enough.

Do not wear loafers or tassels with suits.

It's still my opinion Balfour. Without what you call a throwaway remark

I didn't introduce those characters you did. I am not the one obsessing here....

Are you putting those individuals up as style icons for anyone, SF or otherwise, to emulate?

Nonetheless, in my opinion do not wear loafers or tassels with suits. Ymmv.

Classic single monk? Sure, I have them, DM, I have them. Levels of formality or difference therein... I wear with suits. I understand the rules but also appreciate that I like to do what I want to do sometimes.

If someone asks for an opinion, I'll offer it.

Thank you though. :satisfied:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads