• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Monk strap buckles

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never owned a pair of monk strap shoes, but I intend for this to change soon. Are the bukles on monk straps intended to be functional, in the sense that they are there to tighten or loosen the shoe, or are they pretty much just decoration? If they are meant to be functional, should the shoe fit so that it buckles at the middle hole? Has anyone ever had a problem with the hole getting stretched by the pressure from the buckle? Thanks, HS.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hopkins_student
I've never owned a pair of monk strap shoes, but I intend for this to change soon. Are the bukles on monk straps intended to be functional, in the sense that they are there to tighten or loosen the shoe, or are they pretty much just decoration? If they are meant to be functional, should the shoe fit so that it buckles at the middle hole? Has anyone ever had a problem with the hole getting stretched by the pressure from the buckle? Thanks, HS.

AFAIK, they are not meant to be used as actual buckles. But I don't have any.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Some monks have hidden elastic, such that they can be slipped on and off. But others have true buckles that have to be undone.

Personally, I'd rather depend on leather than elastic.

Yup, I have both types: the elastic in a pair of Magli's and the leather in a pair of very old Church's.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine are all functioning. And all leather. I did have a pair that had some elastic built into the strap but they did not flex enough to allow me to take the shoes off (much less put them on) without undoing the buckle.

I have also had the hole stretch because of my constantly going for a tighter fit. However, that was probably due to the shoes being a smidgen too big which I seem to have come to terms with and now buy a half-size smaller. Current ones have no problem.

b

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hopkins_student

I have the Grenson felstead, and came to the conclusion that it is not meant to be buckled and unbuckled after the pin tore up the back of the buckle the first time I adjusted them. I may be in the minority, but I find myself buying most monk straps (C&J's Saville, EG's Oundle)1/2 size too big and slipping them on like loafers. Your mileage may vary.

Bic

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
The straps and buckles of my C & J's are definitely functional.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bic Pentameter
I have the Grenson felstead, and came to the conclusion that it is not meant to be buckled and unbuckled after the pin tore up the back of the buckle the first time I adjusted them. I may be in the minority, but I find myself buying most monk straps (C&J's Saville, EG's Oundle)1/2 size too big and slipping them on like loafers. Your mileage may vary.

Don't they slip?

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never simply slip my monkstraps on and off; I always buckle/unbuckle them. The elastic looks like the weakest part of the shoe to me, so I stress it as little as possible.

pejsek

Reaction score
I think on the better shoes (and in the original incarnation) the buckle is meant to be functional (though as we can see on this thread there is also the faux strap with elastic). I have a couple of pairs of EG monks as well as a classic model from Church's and they all have a functional buckle. You can usually slip the shoe off without unbuckling, but I wouldn't advise putting it on the same way. As for how much the strap will need to be tightened, I think it just depends on your foot. The strap isn't really there to completely control the fit; it's more of a secondary adjustment and, as such, shouldn't be subject to too much strain.
Here's a monk I like quite a bit, though the buckle may prove a bit flamboyant for some tastes:

http://www.sinner.jp/sample/design-o..._09/index.html

Not cheap for a rtw shoe, though--$1628-$2080.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
there are monkstraps with functioning buckles (many of which come with a little elastic band underneath so you can pull to adjust to tighter cinches without tearing the stitching underneath the leather, the elastic is to give a little slack while you cinch it up)

and there are the nonfunctioning buckled shoes called 'monkstrap designed' shoes that are mostly just a plain vamped loafer with strap and buckle ornamented across the vamp rather than a horsebit, penny aperture, or tassel.

ferragamo is known to have a style like this in their Lion? style monkstrap design loafers from last year.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
They slip a bit more than my lace ups, but not enough to cause me any concern. I use a shoe horn, and have never had a problem. My Savilles are particularly comfortable.

Bic

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
there are monkstraps with functioning buckles (many of which come with a little elastic band underneath so you can pull to adjust to tighter cinches without tearing the stitching underneath the leather, the elastic is to give a little slack while you cinch it up)

and there are the nonfunctioning buckled shoes called 'monkstrap designed' shoes that are mostly just a plain vamped loafer with strap and buckle ornamented across the vamp rather than a horsebit, penny aperture, or tassel.

ferragamo is known to have a style like this in their Lion? style monkstrap design loafers from last year.

I have one pair of Ferragamo monkstraps with a functioning/functional buckle. Nice shoe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 27 17.6%

Forum statistics

Threads