• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Monk Strap Advice

Green Lantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMHO go with the Sid's. More substantial stance and sole. Leather is better quality and will shine longer and better. The Carminas are at their top form now...will only look lesser over time. Sole is thin and stitching is subdued. Sid's are English and Carminas of Spain. Spain produces great leathers but I find the Italians and English provide best workmanship with the same materials. I liken the Carminas to Magnanni top line, but still produced in large quantities. The Sid's seem to be produced in lesser quantity since they are bench made.

Anachronist

Reaction score
The Sids look like they've been made by Crockett & Jones. I have several shoes from both makers and, whilst looking more fragile, the Carminas hold up wonderfully and I cannot confirm tat C&Js are more robust or that the leather quality is markedly better. So I suggest first going by fit and then by looks.

aj2603

Reaction score
I think both are very good quality shoes. You can’t go wrong with either. I would say decide based on the looks of the shoe.
Decide depending on what ur wardrobe is. If u have trousers with r a bit relaxed fit then go for the thicker sole . If u have more of slim fitting trousers or plan to buy more in the future, then go for the thin sole

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 58 17.6%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 110 33.4%
  • 8”

Votes: 99 30.1%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 10.9%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 4.0%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.1%