• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
@Caustic Man, and you Southern Trad Thread guys, you could probably do something there ? Khakis, field jackets, etc...

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the by, for those of you interested in whether kids in the 50s and 60s obsessed over Ivy style details, Boyer seems to emphatically be saying "yes" they did.

There could certainly be some source bias going on here. Boyer has had a lifelong obsession with ivy-style fashion, it could certainly taint his perspective (both in the moment and in hind sight) on how much the average college kid or ivy leaguer was obsessed with the details of ivy style. I do however agree that there were probably certain circles where the details of your clothes (hook vent, 2 button cuffs, etc.) worked as an identifier of social status or an indicator of your New England prep school. From what I've read, the late 60s were particularly interesting period in the ivy league as outgoing classes conformed to trad ivy style while underclassmen wore a distinctly more casual style. even today on campus I still see kids lean into the ivy-style with tweed jackets, scarfs, and blazers but, from what i have seen, they lack the hallmark details that people often talk about

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

20190616_084351.jpg

Artigas

Reaction score

Epicure

Reaction score
A first fit post in this thread for me. It's an attempt at something tradly, taking inspo from an outfit I saw worn by @Caustic Man. I concede that it fails to meet the 'Southern' criterion. I also concede the jacket has too much structure, and the wrong details, including being double vented. But it's my best attempt from a rookie (read "Australian who doesn't get trad") working with the wardrobe I have. I'd welcome any thoughts.
20190723_095231.jpg

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only recently discovered Hunter S. Thompson's excellent little essay on the Kentucky Derby. Sartorially relevant bits to keep it on subject:

But now, a dozen years later, I wouldn't have recognized him anywhere but here, where I should have expected to find him, in the Paddock bar on Derby Day...fat slanted eyes and a pimp's smile, blue silk suit and his friends looking like crooked bank tellers on a binge...
[...]
Steadman wanted to see some Kentucky Colonels, but he wasn't sure what they looked like. I told him to go back to the clubhouse men's rooms and look for men in white linen suits vomitting in the urinals.

1563943744418.png

1563944093003.png

Southern Trad as seen by the eyes of a deranged Welshman:

1563944111117.png

Last edited:

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A first fit post in this thread for me. It's an attempt at something tradly, taking inspo from an outfit I saw worn by @Caustic Man. I concede that it fails to meet the 'Southern' criterion. I also concede the jacket has too much structure, and the wrong details, including being double vented. But it's my best attempt from a rookie (read "Australian who doesn't get trad") working with the wardrobe I have. I'd welcome any thoughts. View attachment 1211561

Welcome aboard! I guess being Australian, in a way you're more southern than all of us.

Very nice jacket. Heck, I like all of it. I'll leave to the more senior fellows whether that excellent tie is a bit "buisnessy" to go with the more textured items but I have a significant bias in favor of pin dots and will say I like it.

Are the folds of your pocket square a tribute to the Sydney Opera House? :)

Epicure

Reaction score
Welcome aboard! I guess being Australian, in a way you're more southern than all of us.

Very nice jacket. Heck, I like all of it. I'll leave to the more senior fellows whether that excellent tie is a bit "buisnessy" to go with the more textured items but I have a significant bias in favor of pin dots and will say I like it.

Thank you for your excellent response and for the warm welcome. Very thoughtful!

I'm certainly glad you like the outfit. I was certainly pleased with how it came together, hence my decision to pluck up the confidence and post here, even though I don't truly feel I understand what I'm doing.

If others have anything to add about the tie, I'll be all ears. To me these dots are large enough and spaced widely enough to be in polka dot territory. Perhaps I'm wrong, but my impression is that pin dots fill up a lot more space and are a lot smaller than the dots on my tie.

I'd never considered the folds of my pocket square as representing anything, but now that you point it out, there is a certain resemblance to the Sydney Opera House. Pure coincidence!

winghus

Reaction score

More like Churchill dots than pindots.

Epicure

Reaction score
More like Churchill dots than pindots.

Ah, yes!

Is that an official or known name for dots of this size and scale, or are you just referencing Churchill given his predilection for similarly dotted bow ties?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads