• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It’s hot and I’m wearing madras.

4A4CDD67-31C3-4C55-9E85-85AC91615435.jpeg

198B3302-0E65-47E1-A55B-05457E2E5B0D.jpeg

Last edited:

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not trad or prep, but the reality of September football in SE Texas:
56DDF3BF-3AAF-4D9D-9073-E4211156F959.jpeg

8529C13B-EF0A-49D7-A827-E9162C751CF6.jpeg

For the record, it poured through the first quarter and I was drenched, but 30 mins later and I’m mostly dry. Grateful for technical fabrics right now.

Last edited:

Artigas

Reaction score
Looking forward to fall. New Brooks Brothers sportcoat to go with my older Brooks tie and blue OCBD.

Very nice. Navy chinos (inevitably faded to a lighter shade of blue) were always my go-to in my early twenties, either solo or paired with a tweed or camel hair jacket (something brownish, anyway, or gray). This was before I learned that they were a "wrong" color for chinos.

Last edited:

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice. Navy chinos (inevitably faded to a lighter shade of blue) were always my go-to in my early twenties, either solo or paired with a tweed or camel hair jacket (something brownish, anyway, or gray). This was before I learned that they were a "wrong" color for chinos.

I've never heard that navy is a "wrong" color for chinos...
They are more difficult to wear in wool trousers due to their predisposition to look like orphaned suit pants, as well as some people's preference for trousers to be lighter than the jacket above them. But, even then they can be pulled off in certain situations.

What makes them "wrong" in chinos?

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never heard that navy is a "wrong" color for chinos...
They are more difficult to wear in wool trousers due to their predisposition to look like orphaned suit pants, as well as some people's preference for trousers to be lighter than the jacket above them. But, even then they can be pulled off in certain situations.

What makes them "wrong" in chinos?

I’ve always seen people say cotton’s propensity to fade as the primary reason for the dislike. Personally, I like navy chinos with a gray tweed jacket in the winter.

My go-to for separate wool pants is gray or charcoal flannel, usually between October and April (I also have several pairs of brown tweed pants as well). I tend to go cotton or linen May-September.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, the vulnerability to fading is the biggest reason I don't do navy in a chino. I wouldn't go any darker than a medium shade of "olive." I think that fading can look good on a khaki, olive, or lighter brown chino but fading on a navy pair begins to stand out and look more awkward than worn. If you have found a cloth that isn't as prone to fading then that would be fine.

starro

Reaction score
Faded navy takes on a tired charcoal quality, not desirable IMO. Some colors just work better with certain types, that's all. Navy is great for coats and sweaters, not so for pants and shirts. Gray is great for pants and suits, not for shirts. Some may find these "rules" restrictive, but I still think there are enough colors to go around.

Also navy khakis make me think of scrubs.

Artigas

Reaction score
Mine always seemed to fade evenly and gracefully, so I never had that problem. I basically looked at them as a more comfortable, dressier alternative to that other blue trouser standard--namely, blue jeans.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance, what team are you repping here?

Sam Houston State. It poured the entire time we were at the game and we didn’t have ponchos, so we got soaked. My Sperrys are still drying out lol

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads