• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought this related to this thread. Purchased some bow ties on National Bow Tie Day, and got a couple free ones:
E48360E7-CB40-4181-85D5-3E3BB610AD94.jpeg

From top to bottom:
Southern Proper- bourbon and cigars (purchased)
Southern Proper- free
Beau Ties Ltd- Alzheimer’s Association (purchased)
Beau Ties Ltd- free

This is my fifth year purchasing from these two companies on national bow tie day, and the only two I’ve received for free that don’t get regular wear are a SoPro poker one, and a BTLtd Halloween one.

Also, BB x JP Crickets slippers today:
49D0F1C5-AC55-45F7-98A9-F621DDC7F8B7.jpeg

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bow ties are a peculiar thing to me. I get the whole preppy affection for them and I heartily approve. However, for my own part I tend to stick to very conservative bow ties. Obviously they can tend to look clownish without the right kind of context but I tend not to dress in the super snotty IDGAF preppy way that would make it look okay. I always think it’s kinda fun when I see it, though.

sftiger

Reaction score
I work in a fairly casual office, and as a result I wear these L.L. Bean camp mocs in "Cactus" (I have no idea why they call it that, it's really just a matte mid-brown) pretty much everyday. And also everyday on weekends. I'm actually not sure why I own any other shoes at this point.

And just my luck - not sure if everyone saw Ivy Style's post but these shoes have now been discontinued as of last week.

I called a bunch of stores and managed to locate two pairs left in my size, so immediately bought them. One of the sales reps said someone had recently bought 15 pairs (eBay reseller?), so I felt less bad stocking up on two. Sounds like there are plenty of other options like those Rancourt ones, but sad anyway, as the Rancourt pair and others are 2-3x the price (6x the price now, as the LL Bean ones are on deep discount if you can manage to locate a pair).

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bow ties are a peculiar thing to me. I get the whole preppy affection for them and I heartily approve. However, for my own part I tend to stick to very conservative bow ties. Obviously they can tend to look clownish without the right kind of context but I tend not to dress in the super snotty IDGAF preppy way that would make it look okay. I always think it’s kinda fun when I see it, though.

I have and wear both. Typically, I’ll wear more conservative bow ties with louder stuff (seersucker, colored blazers or pants, etc), but will wear the more “whimsical” bow ties with more conservative outfits (khakis/navy blazer/ocbd).

That said, I’ve been known to break that rule.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@orange fury Yeah, the LL Bean pants did not work. They actually fit similarly to the lands end pants. The waist size is correct, not a terrible rise, but the hips are too small and cause pulling.

FCE44822-553C-4060-AD8B-668A82DBF526.jpeg

ECFCF32A-4E98-4D8A-81D5-052CFB9F0CD9.jpeg

0C437D11-1B67-4E44-87DA-A6A37D89F6D7.jpeg

EF51A34D-6BCD-4A94-BAB7-EBB724075CF4.jpeg

On the other hand, these Polo Ralph Lauren Pants I just got off eBay feel great.

B6F34374-59EA-41D3-AF31-C78BD96EFE25.jpeg

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@orange fury Yeah, the LL Bean pants did not work. They actually fit similarly to the lands end pants. The waist size is correct, not a terrible rise, but the hips are too small and cause pulling.

On the other hand, these Polo Ralph Lauren Pants I just got off eBay feel great.

Sorry to hear they didn’t work out for you! I have a bit of a butt, and the classic fit’s have ample room through the seat and hips.

As someone who doesn’t like pleats, I love the reverse pleats on those RL’s. I could see myself owning a pair of pants with single reverse pleats

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm with you. I usually don't take pictures of my lounge wear, though. Someone on SF once encouraged me to post what I wear to bed. Some things are just not appropriate for #menswear posts lol. Not slippers though. Slippers can stay.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm with you. I usually don't take pictures of my lounge wear, though. Someone on SF once encouraged me to post what I wear to bed. Some things are just not appropriate for #menswear posts lol. Not slippers though. Slippers can stay.

Pajamas would be weird imho. In theory, 5 of my 6 pairs of slippers could be worn out of the house (even though I don’t do it often), so I consider them multi-purpose enough to not be in the same vein as pajamas (ie, I wouldn’t wear pajama in public).

Still need to get these and the green pair embroidered, and still not sure where I’m going to get it done

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the record, I would and will at some point post pics of me wearing black watch pajamas, robe and slippers for black watch Friday. Just saying.

philipneri

Reaction score
It is after Labor Day, but it is still 90 degrees here in Texas. Are there any summer items that I should stop wearing?

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is after Labor Day, but it is still 90 degrees here in Texas. Are there any summer items that I should stop wearing?

Nah.

I dial back summer patterns (I probably won’t wear my patch madras stuff til next Memorial Day), but I’ll still use linen extensively. I typically adhere to the archaic “no white after Labor Day” rule, but it’s primarily because at this point in the year, I’m looking forward to tattersalls, tweeds, and a more “autumn-oriented” palate (read: earth tones).

That said, the day after Thanksgiving, expect christmas and plaid err’thang for the following month.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the record, I would and will at some point post pics of me wearing black watch pajamas, robe and slippers for black watch Friday. Just saying.

If I ever get the Brooks broadcloth pajama set (and robe) that I’ve been wanting, I might post a pic when it comes in, but that would really be it.

ULCajun

Reaction score
I started just buying fall colored shorts to get me by. Even saw some cord shorts that I’m almost interested in

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I started just buying fall colored shorts to get me by. Even saw some cord shorts that I’m almost interested in

Ehhhhh, cord shorts would be a bridge too far for me. Way too hot for shorts weather, way too cold for cord weather

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads