• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if someone mentioned this already, but I associate Southern Trad with a looser fit than NE Trad. Thoughts.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've heard this before. Overall I'd say yes, but I think southerners, like everyone else, have moved toward more slim fitting clothes in general. The influence of this on Trad style is significant IRL if not in the blogosphere. In past years though, yes I think the difference was greater.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another distinction that exists in my mind - right or wrong - is that cotton and linen seem to play a greater role with Southern Trad. I'm in jacket and tie virtually every day, regardless of the temp, but I've worn linen, linen blend, or cotton (seersucker) trousers four out of five days this week, and ties of similar makeup probably three times this week. Next week will be the same.

I realize they have their place in NE Trad as well - maybe I'm confusing a quantitative difference with a qualitative difference - but my sense is fabrics like that play a smaller role with our Northeastern Cousins.

winghus

Reaction score
Another distinction that exists in my mind - right or wrong - is that cotton and linen seem to play a greater role with Southern Trad. I'm in jacket and tie virtually every day, regardless of the temp, but I've worn linen, linen blend, or cotton (seersucker) trousers four out of five days this week, and ties of similar makeup probably three times this week. Next week will be the same.

I realize they have their place in NE Trad as well - maybe I'm confusing a quantitative difference with a qualitative difference - but my sense is fabrics like that play a smaller role with our Northeastern Cousins.

Climate (obviously) forced the use of cotton and linen before a/c was invented. Once necessity forced the use of those fabrics for a couple hundred years, it becomes traditional as well as practical. It's still a factor as anyone who has gotten into their car after it sat in a parking lot all day can tell you. 5 minutes of 140F temps while the vents cool down is murder in tailored clothing.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Another distinction that exists in my mind - right or wrong - is that cotton and linen seem to play a greater role with Southern Trad.

I would agree, and between the two I think cotton plays a larger part than linen. Linen is certainly common but not as ubiquitous as cotton IMO. Especially when you add seersucker to the equation.

JohnAAG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just want to say I've been really enjoying this thread. Regarding, the choice the choice between the dark brown or tan TS: all I can offer is I own both, and 8 times out of 10 I'll go with the tan. Sorry for the pic quality. Dark and stormy in my neck of the woods:

JohnAAG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the fact that the tan works with a broad range of colors in pants/shorts, with less contrast than the dark brown. I think it holds up well with the navy shorts in the pic, but it also tones well with light beige or light grey. It's sort of the AE Walnut of boat shoe colors.

Edit: it just occurred to me that in a thread that embraces bright colors, spectators and woven, skirted tassel loafers, the lower contrast offered by the tan may not be considered a virtue.

Last edited:

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this issue for a bit. I can understand the choice of a lighter shoe given the propensity for lighter colored clothing in the warmer months in the south. Walnut goes well with seersucker, tan, and other lighter colored suits. However I think I'd have to stick with the general tendency toward darker shoes being more versatile. You can certainly get away with lighter shoes if you generally wear lighter colors, but darker colored shoes will still go with more, IMO. Let's not forget that black bit loafers (especially in crocodile) are very southern, and it doesn't get any darker than that. Maybe we just tended toward darker shoes in Kentucky, though. We probably wore a bigger variety of cloths there too since it does get quite cold at times, to include snow.

JohnAAG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I mentioned, I do own both tan and dark brown, and I do use the latter with darker colored pants. Perhaps in opposition to the Southern style, I lean more towards minimizing contrast instead of fully embracing it (the black croc loafers with light seersucker being an excellent example). Just personal preference.

But I think this does lead to an interesting question (well, at least to me). I know from experience that living in a hot climate limits our use of many of the style strategies employed by those living in the north or true 4 season climates. Layering fabrics of noticeably different weights isn't often practical, nor is the use of certain fabrics with interesting textures (corduroy, tweeds, flannels, heavier denim). Do you think the Southern tendency towards brighter colors and higher contrast is shaped by or in reaction to the limitations defined by the temperature?

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's an interesting question. I don't think I've ever thought of it that way before. I suppose it's possible that the colors prevalent in southern dress are partly to make up for the lack of layering and textured fabrics available to northerners. I think if that is true it's only part of the story, though. As we know, the south was, and is, an important cotton growing region and I suspect that this partly explains it. Cotton is easily dyed and presents vivid colors when dyed in blues, reds, and greens. These colors, when faded, go to pinks and other pastels. Although it is possible (and common) to dye tweed, the colors do not take in nearly so vivid a way as with cotton. I think it also must have something to do with non-weather related environmental factors. People often echo the things they see in nature. Seeing a field of virgin blue-grass is as vivid an inspiration to clothing as anything. This isn't to say northerners don't have color in their environment, as anyone who has seen Fall in Pennsylvania knows. However a good part of the year is gray and dreary in many parts of the north. Not so in what you might call the "deep south". Especially in places like Louisiana and Georgia, the humidity gets so high for so long that icky green stuff starts creeping up the sides of buildings. But it certainly isn't gray.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

On a day trip to Monticello and had dinner in downtown Charlottesville by the UVA campus. Schools out but still plenty of young folks in light blue OCBD shirts and many blazers. Very encouraging. Menswear store was closed but had lots of interesting stuff in the window including many...wait for it... Allen Edmonds Strand.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ Eljo's? Been there forever. A Charlottesville institution.
This was called "The Men's & Boys' Shop" on the Pedestrian Walk. I think Eljo's is on the other side of town. Will check that one out next time. Thanks for the recommendation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads