• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely do. I haven't been to their store in Lexington but the store in Midway is great. It's a small place, but has the feel of an old-school men's store. The staff is very helpful and friendly. They are all proud of representing Mr. Rawlings and know the product well. I have some pics of the place but I can't reveal them yet. They may be part of a project upcoming.
I think they just have just the one store in Midway. Fairly close to where I'll be in Versailles.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pretty rare to find something like this, but the jacket required no tailoring at all.

crt1.jpg

AMProf

Reaction score
So I could have asked this advice question in another thread, but I'm trying to go for a southern (and slightly trad) vibe here, so this seems a good place.

The scenario: late summer wedding. Indoors. I'm a guest.

The suit: solid navy from Epaulet. Its this one:
https://epauletnewyork.com/collecti...y-barberis-4-season-pique?variant=30812069385

Note that its a somewhat casual suit, with its soft shoulders and patch pockets. Pictured here:
Vittorio_Navy_Main_d2ca238c-d11a-47f1-baef-4754aec022f8_grande.jpg

The shirt: Ledbury, light orange, linen:
Pale-Orange-Landry-5.jpg

My question to you wise souls:
1. Does this work?
2. Tie? I was thinking of a solid blue linen (which I own) or perhaps a slubby silk with a blue ground and some other color (dots, etc). Traditional silk seems too formal.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of linen shirts with smooth wool suits. It's not wrong, it's just that the difference between the textures, and tendency to wrinkle, is a little odd to me. If I were wearing a linen shirt I'd prefer to be wearing a hopsack, or some other textured wool, or a linen or cotton suit. In any case, the light orange works well with it for a Summer look. I's not use a NAVY blue tie with this combo. It would match too closely with the suit. If it is a lighter blue I think it might be ok, but my choice would be a repp stripe, or no tie at all (depending on the particulars of the wedding).

AMProf

Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of linen shirts with smooth wool suits. It's not wrong, it's just that the difference between the textures, and tendency to wrinkle, is a little odd to me. If I were wearing a linen shirt I'd prefer to be wearing a hopsack, or some other textured wool, or a linen or cotton suit. In any case, the light orange works well with it for a Summer look. I's not use a NAVY blue tie with this combo. It would match too closely with the suit. If it is a lighter blue I think it might be ok, but my choice would be a repp stripe, or no tie at all (depending on the particulars of the wedding).
I definitely see your point about the navy tie matching the suit too closely. I'm not quite a madras guy though. I do have a celery green slubby silk tie from Chipp I could try, but not sure about that combo with the orange.

kickstand

Reaction score
If this summer wedding is any like the ones I have attended lately then you'll be good with anything above a short sleeved dress shirt.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is it a sign of getting older that I don't care about Milanese buttonholes or Solaro fabric? I think Styleforum, or whoever, tries to make that stuff seem cool but I can't bring myself to care. Solaro is the cloth equivalent of those shimmery cars that change color when you move around them. Milanese buttonholes would be the absolute last thing I look for in a jacket. Maybe not even last. Even some of my favorite long-time posters (I won't name names) are going total fashion-poof, and it doesn't look good. Maybe it's just the after effect of Pitti (supposedly more subdued this year ).

It's generally the case that after exposure to Styleforum most people start to dress better, but for a select few I think they have gotten worse. Or perhaps got better then descended into poofery. Anyway, a meaningless rant but submitted for your consideration nonetheless.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not everyone goes down the same sartorial rabbit holes... Everyone here has their own peccadilloes (now there's a word I don't use very often). I just cherry-pick what I think works best. For instance, pocket squares, cravats, cuff links and tie bars are contrivances to me, sartorial splendor to others.

The Oxxford suits and sport coats I wear have handmade buttonholes. You can really only tell by looking at the reverse side. Purely psychological but I feel pretty good knowing how they were made. Same with the boutonniere-holding loop beneath the lapel buttonhole. Useless but fun. Like surgeon's cuffs. Coworkers sometimes point out that I'm missing a button, not knowing I left the last one open in a fit of sartorial douchebaggery.

I love the fact that some folks adore Milanese buttonholes and Solaro fabric, Trad clothing and Pitti posturing, and Seersucker. Even the dorks who can't tie a proper tie and let the tail hang out front are mildly amusing.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's very political of you. A product of D.C. For sure!

Whatever the case, if one is going to display sartorial docuhebaggery, it should at least be counterpointed by something exceedingly cheap. Like a bespoke pair of Lobbs with a timex watch. Doesn't work the other way around though. Also, don't leave your cuff buttons undone. It's reaching.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amusingly, it's also a conversation starter. Hooked in a few people to up their suit game after discussing the sartorial contrivance (surgeon's cuffs, tv fold PS, shoes, watch, etc.) they pointed out. I kind of like the Full Monty. No Lloyd Blankfein wearing Stefano Ricci with a Swatch. All in or all out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads