• We would like to welcome Arterton as an official Affiliate Vendor. Arterton, based in the UK, specializes in fine accessories such as garment bags, umbrellas, and shoe care, as well as fine shoes and boots from Yearn Footwear Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

MoneyWellSpent's Southern Trad Thread

elterrell

Reaction score
Just cross-posting this, so as to not destroy KW's thread.

I found this comment interesting. "Would be interested in seeing it [i.e., a seersucker suit] worn in a business context in this thread."

I guess, a little bit of backstory. I grew up in Memphis, TN, and spent every single football weekend in Oxford, MS. I rushed, was rush chair, social chair, etc., of my fraternity, and can't say I ever wore anything that was not some shade of pastel. Similarly, I went to law school in Baton Rouge, LA, and spent every single football weekend in Baton Rouge, LA.

Long story short, as far as I am concerned, seersucker can always be worn in a business context. Further, I guess southern trad - at least from my perspective - is not really a style of dress. It is just something I have done daily for as long as I can remember. Southern trad, if one can call it that, is my default dress. I feel far more at ease in seersucker or cotton than I do in tobacco fresco. Southern trad is something I actively try to distance myself from in my dress - although every once in a while, I grab a bright yellow tie, a white shirt, and an old Haspel suit, and just call it a day.

Sometimes I try to emulate northern trad - with its frayed oxford collars, and its Alden tassel loafers - and sometimes I try to emulate that southern eyetalian look - with its tobacco linen, and abundance of navy ties. But that very clearly takes effort. In contrast, if I want to dress southern trad, I dip into my wardrobe, and pull out the first thing I see.

Reaching back a few years...do you have any pics of the tobacco linen/navy ties?

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well speaking of Santa, I thought this thread was as good as any to pose this question.

Last weekend I reached way back in the closet to pull out clothes for a run of Christmas parties, including black watch and brick red wool trousers. I was reminded again that I’m not too keen on any of my non-black shoes working with those colored pants. They seem … okay. I think black would be better.

The “problem” is all my black shoes are cap toe oxfords I wear with suits and they strike me as a tad formal for an odd jacket or sweater.

So, it seems I need to either get a less formal black shoe or learn to love some shade of brown or burgundy being paired with dark red or black watch trousers.

Thoughts? Apart from “gee, maybe you shoulda thought through the shoe thing BEFORE buying those pants.”

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given it’s a Christmas party, the easy way out may be colored laces to dress down the shoe — red or green, perhaps.
A7B356A6-B1D5-441B-B475-BFF3CE41C6EB.jpeg
Thanks. Still, now that I’ve been thinking about it, I’m not opposed to getting a less formal black shoe, though I think it may be of limited use.

Last edited:

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well speaking of Santa, I thought this thread was as good as any to pose this question.

Last weekend I reached way back in the closet to pull out clothes for a run of Christmas parties, including black watch and brick red wool trousers. I was reminded again that I’m not too keen on any of my non-black shoes working with those colored pants. They seem … okay. I think black would be better.

The “problem” is all my black shoes are cap toe oxfords I wear with suits and they strike me as a tad formal for an odd jacket or sweater.

So, it seems I need to either get a less formal black shoe or learn to love some shade of brown or burgundy being paired with dark red or black watch trousers.

Thoughts? Apart from “gee, maybe you shoulda thought through the shoe thing BEFORE buying those pants.”
View attachment 1714896
Thanks. Still, now that I’ve been thinking about it, I’m not opposed to getting a less formal black shoe, though I think it may be of limited use.
Without seeing a photo, I can’t say if a Color 8 shell loafer would work (or if you own them), but it sounds like you have already determined that burgundy isn’t ideal.

I think this would be an ideal scenario for a black loafer. Certainly a shell Alden LHS or tassel loafer would be ideal, but if you don’t want to invest much due to limited use, a black Weejun would work just fine.

Featured Sponsor

Friday Challenge "Suited and Booted" VOTE NOW

• An Acute Style

Votes: 17 30.9%
  • Bernoulli

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Brennenman

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • cr2596

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Crafty Cumbrian

Votes: 7 12.7%