MoneyWellSpent's Southern Trad Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Caustic Man, Jun 13, 2016.

1. smittycl

smittycl Well-Known Member

Nice. I love Bold FU herringbone!

1 person likes this.
  2. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

Going with the tweed theme. Vintage BB jacket, Kamakura shirt, Lands End trousers, and my favorite "club" tie.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Allen Edmonds

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    3 people like this.
  3. Van Veen

Van Veen Well-Known Member

As a carpetbagger who just moved to the South (though I've worked here regularly for 4 1/2 years), I can't believe I hadn't discovered this thread yet. I don't have many fit pics, but here are some shorts fits for you from last summer. Spoilered due to mediocrity.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't know if the second one counts as "Southern" or "trad."

1 person likes this.
  4. Van Veen

I have a feeling this is due to the fact that the Ivy style that is romanticized is from the '50s and early '60s, when slimmer cuts were on-trend. There's no similar "snapshot in time" for Southern trad, which makes it so hard to define.

A lot of the followers of Ivy/NE trad treat it like a costume (intentionally or not) and are dogmatically obsessed with whether or not some specific item or detail is "trad." They'd be better served by focusing on the overall effect and developing their own sense of personal style incorporating trad elements.

It's part of what makes discussing "Southern trad" more interesting than NE trad/Ivy, whether or not you think "Southern trad" is actually determinable.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  5. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Well-Known Member

I think this is well said, and accurately summarizes many of my days getting dressed.

6. Caustic Man

Van Veen, that's an interesting idea. I'd say overall it's true that there is no popular snapshot of Southern trad, but there are ways of determining it in a general sense. I haven't directed my time and resources to looking into it yet, but maybe I will sometime. As for hobbyists, who obsess about what is "Ivy" and what is not, you are spot on. One need only look at the online discussions about it. A picture of posted on one group of two young men on campus presumably in the 60s. One was wearing pleated trousers. The howls of it not being ivy were very interesting to see. Of course, in real life none of us perfectly conform to a stereotyped look. Perhaps the ones who come closest are vintage enthusiasts, but they often look like they are wearing costume.

7. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Well-Known Member

I should've quoted the part that I was saying reflects many of my days getting dressed. In other words, obsessive doesn't describe me in this context. :D

8. Van Veen

I don't venture to the other discussion boards, but I did subscribe to Ivy Style on Facebook pretty recently. The grumbling about the lapel width on the Kent Wang jacket annoyed me. That jacket is beautiful, and I wish I had the budget and the use for it.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  9. Caustic Man

Yes, I thought the KW lapel was very reasonable. I considered that jacket myself, but I already have one very similar to it. Great value though.

10. Van Veen

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Navy cotton trews. Shitty indoor lighting. Someday I'll learn to take better pictures.

Would have been a blue shirt, but they were still damp this morning.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  11. Caustic Man

That's a weird sweater. Looks kind of like a chain link fence.

12. Van Veen

You're not wrong. It's not as drastic in better lighting.

13. Van Veen

Another thought reading this thread: early/mid-century Palm Beach style clearly had a lot of influence on Southern trad, but where's the break? The GTH Lilly-style jacket here is much more Palm Beach than Derby. It's hard for me to think of flamboyant resort wear as "trad." Maybe it's unconsciously because the rise of Lilly (1959+) tracks the fall of Trad/Ivy and coat-and-tie in general. (I'd love to look through more derby pics to see when it turned into a costume party on the men's side.) Anyway, here are some non-Southerners looking very Southern tradly in Palm Beach (credit to voxsartoria, linked above): [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Caustic Man

More crewneck and tie.

[​IMG]

Oh, and athletic socks and loafers. Bite me.
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  15. smittycl

An outstanding Professorial look. I wouldn't call it uniquely Southern, though. Kind of fits academia anywhere but the University of Hawaii. [​IMG]

16. Caustic Man

Definitely more NE than SE.

1 person likes this.
  17. smittycl

All weather dependent!

18. Caustic Man

19. smittycl

The photo of Joe Kennedy and the boys looks very NE Trad but in lighter fabrics.

20. Caustic Man

Some random thoughts as I contemplate some trad and ivy styles and yet another Pitti rolling around. Perhaps not surprisingly, this forum is very middling, especially in its approach to Pitti. People coming here will always jump all over conspicuous display of items that they believe are "luxury" or look expensive. "Alright Johnson, let's display that tie! You're never going to get ahead unless people know how expensive your tie is!" Superfluous items are a clear marker of middling as well. Take the patterned silk scarf, loosely tied round the neck, with no apparent practical purpose. Extra points if the temperature exceeds 75 degree F. The middler wants to be noticed and complimented for his clothes, therefore he displays them conspicuously. This is the type of person who is likely to utter the insane phrase "Clothes are art!" (other variants include "Fashion is art!", "Style is art!", and "Acting is an art!". All equally insane.) The icing on the insecurity-cake is the perfectly pressed shirt and trouser.

An old timer saying goes like this; "It should take someone five minutes to realize you're well dressed." The anti-Pitti, if you will.

This may be taken as my twice annual raining on the Pitti parade. Honestly though, I really do enjoy seeing some of the stuff that comes out of it, and I am very glad that people have fun and see old friends there.

1 person likes this.