1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

MoneyWellSpent's Southern Trad Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Caustic Man, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Roycru

Roycru Distinguished Member

On December 24th wore a brown herringbone tweed suit I got at the Brooks Brothers store on the corner of Post and Grant in San Francisco in the fall of 1965 when I was working for the Santa Fe Railway in San Francisco.

P1120818.jpg

Many comments about wearing the same clothes for many years overlook the most important requirement for wearing the same clothes for many years, remaining the same size.

At my 50th Reunion (in 2015) noticed many of the boys I had been at school with now looked very "Presidential". (They looked like William Howard Taft.)

For those who don't remember 1965, this is what Brooks Brothers used to call a "Sport Suit". It's a suit with welted edges and patch pockets. Most of the tweed suits came as "Sport Suits" in those days.

While on the subject of the "EGUHA" thread, does anyone have any theories (other than they don't want their ankle bracelets to show) why so many of the posters in that thread never show the lower part of their trousers and their shoes?

2. Artigas

Artigas Senior Member

I would guess that most of them post selfies, and selfies are much easier to take if they only capture the torso. Of course, a second photo could readily display the lower half.

That sport suit is great, btw.

3. sftiger

sftiger Senior Member

Fair. I wonder if, for example, aspiring young Boston lawyers (of which I am not, either location- or profession-wise) dressed like that in front of clients though. Most of the photos we see of people doing this are older and clearly in charge so have a little more leeway to dress how they want.

4. am55

am55 Distinguished Member

I think he had something else in mind:

upload_2019-1-11_15-7-9.png

5. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Stylish Dinosaur

6. am55

Bit late to this one, but I think the grey odd jacket is one of the hardest to pull off "very well" as opposed to just passable, and to be honest I don't personally have a go to combination to go with it... or didn't until now. This is really good, although I can't explain why, and I will shamelessly copy this exact combination in the future. Minus the sunglasses.

In fact I was looking for an excuse to buy a red-edge linen square from Poszetka...

7. Caustic Man

8. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior Member

Have an odd and enduring fascination with this mode of dress given no cultural connections at all. Other than South, as in Africa, as in the bad old days. How would Roycru's look look on a 6'7", 250 lb skinhead rugby player I wonder?*

(* I already know the answer.)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 5:52 PM

9. am55

[​IMG]

10. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior Member

Can one pull off bald trad? I can't remember seeing it.

11. am55

From Burn After Reading:
    upload_2019-1-13_13-33-54.png upload_2019-1-13_13-34-5.png upload_2019-1-13_13-34-21.png upload_2019-1-13_13-34-39.png

12. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior Member

Not wearing a fucking bowtie, ever. Limiting.

13. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Distinguished Member

Armor for a very cold and wet Sunday morning. Harris Tweed, oxford cloth, corduroy, and double leather soles.

20190113_084509.jpg
    20190113_084702.jpg

14. Caustic Man

Hey buds. There is an interesting conversation going on in WAYRN about Ivy style and Mod style. I have tried to describe our aesthetic in this thread as follows and I'd like to know if you all think I got it right:

"[O]ur aesthetic is simply a rejection of the put-togetherness of other SF looks that seem overly perfect. And I mean PERFECT. A fit pic that has obviously been agonized over, with the tie knot perfectly done, the pocket square folded just-so, the shirt pressed to a high starch. We don't want that. We just want to look like regular Joes who wear excellent clothing in an under-wrought way."

So did I accurately describe the aesthetic in this thread or am I wrong?

15. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Distinguished Member

While I suppose everything you said is true, it doesn't encapsulate the "southern trad" look specifically. It could describe any guy aspiring to be well-dressed without looking overly contrived. But then again, there are plenty of the stereotypical "southern" motifs that are tossed around in this thread that I don't wear. So, perhaps it does accurately define things here. :eh: