• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the Aran/Fisherman suggestions. I went with LL Bean because I was already placing a holiday order there.

I have been thinking about getting my first waxed jacket. Everyone I know recommends the Beaufort. But what do you all think of the Barbour Beacon Sports Jacket? It is based upon the jacket that Daniel Craig wore in Skyfall. I have a proclivity of buying movie-inspired clothing. For example, when I bought my first Baracuta, I bought a red one because of James Dean instead of buying the generic navy blue one.

I love my Beaufort (it’s probably my single favorite item of clothing I own), but if you want the one Craig wore, you won’t be happy with another style

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is it Southern Trad to have dreams about crappie? Nevermind. I know it is. :)

ffsr.jpg

sftiger

Reaction score
Everyone I know recommends the Beaufort. But what do you all think of the Barbour Beacon Sports Jacket? It is based upon the jacket that Daniel Craig wore in Skyfall.

Unless they've changed the sizing, last time I tried one on I found that they run extremely small. I'm a 40-42 in most sport coats, a large in most clothing brands, a 40 in a Beaufort or Bedale which is a Medium (ish), and was an XL in the Bond jacket.

Worth checking it out in store if you can - it fit very slim vs. most of the regular Barbours which are cut very full.

JJ Katz

Reaction score
Is it Southern Trad to have dreams about crappie? Nevermind. I know it is. :)

View attachment 1088841
Well, it certainly ain't Southern Trad to wear Pitti-Sprezza collar points over yer doggone jacket collar, CM!!

No grits fe yew fer a week, mister!!

[sorry, bin lis'nin non-stop to country music on the interweb...)

Artigas

Reaction score
Well, it certainly ain't Southern Trad to wear Pitti-Sprezza collar points over yer doggone jacket collar, CM!!

How far can you depart from Southern Trad™ before it stops being Southern Trad™?

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you people made me buy a barbour on ebay and i am NOT UNHAPPY about it

philipneri

Reaction score
Well it depends how obsessed with accuracy one wants to be. James Dean’s red jacket was not a barracuta.

Very good point. I am not so obsessed with complete accuracy. Bond's Barbour was not actually a Barbour Beacon either. It was a Barbour x To Ki To collaboration that is no longer available.

I was talking to my brother. He convinced me to get a Beaufort. It is the more practical choice. I don't need another slim-fitting jacket like the Beacon. I have plenty of those. My real need is some outerwear which I can layer over blazers and chunky sweaters. Hence, the Beaufort being the more sensible choice.

New question. What are you thoughts on Sylkoil vs Traditional Waxed? I am guessing everyone prefers the traditional waxed.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They are just different. Sylkoil is actually the older and, if you like, more traditional way of treating the jackets. Waxed, or Thornproof, is, I believe, what most people think of when they think Barbour. I have both. Both do a nice job of keeping the rain out. Thornproof has a stronger smell to it. Think old Army tents. Personal preference if you ask me.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very good point. I am not so obsessed with complete accuracy. Bond's Barbour was not actually a Barbour Beacon either. It was a Barbour x To Ki To collaboration that is no longer available.

I was talking to my brother. He convinced me to get a Beaufort. It is the more practical choice. I don't need another slim-fitting jacket like the Beacon. I have plenty of those. My real need is some outerwear which I can layer over blazers and chunky sweaters. Hence, the Beaufort being the more sensible choice.

New question. What are you thoughts on Sylkoil vs Traditional Waxed? I am guessing everyone prefers the traditional waxed.

My Beaufort is Sylkoil, I’ve never had any problems with it.

Good choice with the Bedale, I’ve considered picking one up as a second Barbour.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads