1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

MoneyWellSpent's Southern Trad Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Caustic Man, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Stylish Dinosaur

PTO recently published a piece on the survival of small traditional menswear shops like The Andover Shop and O'Connell's. It's worth a read if you're interested in traditional clothing's place in the current retail climate.

2. MidWestTrad

MidWestTrad Member

3. Artigas

Artigas Senior Member

Anybody else pin their button-downs?

B0E14179-EE9C-4D8C-B22B-0554EE9D463D.jpeg

4. Caustic Man

I've done it occasionally but only when I didn't like how the original collar laid. It's not very Ivy style but it can add a little bit of interest to an otherwise standard outfit.

5. Artigas

Artigas Senior Member

That's actually what inspired me to do it today, though obviously I like the look in general, otherwise I wouldn't have the pin handy.

I think I will continue to do it in the future.

It's interesting you should say that, as it was by reading ivy-style.com that I was able to come around to the idea.

6. Caustic Man

I would suggest that it's very traditional. Collar bars and pins have been around for a very long time. However, if we're talking about the heyday Ivy style (say, collegiate style from around 1945 to 1965) I've seen little evidence to suggest that they were worn commonly by students. The principle, very generally speaking, is to look slouchy and nonchalant. A collar pin is neither of those things.

7. starro

starro Senior Member

Why not just move the buttons?

8. Artigas

Artigas Senior Member

Now you've got me thinking...

9. starro

starro Senior Member

I think it's very "Trad" to tweak/fix an otherwise decent garment. FYI most of the Brooks US made collars can be improved this way

10. Caustic Man

Did anyone else see the "letter from the president" of Allen Edmonds that went out in a mass email today? Phrases like "embracing the new world" and "redefined attitude" had me rolling my eyes out of their sockets. A cursory look at the new offerings and collaborations with "Artisans of Freedom," a Made in America effort, seemed to reveal mild changes, however. Perhaps more of an emphasis on rugged shoes and clothing with boots, rubber soled shoes and leather items. Southwick will be making at least some new clothing for AE. Most of the old styles are still available.

And on another note, ever try charcoal pants and seersucker? That's a Southern Fall, Caustic Man style.

orjgn.jpg

11. orange fury

orange fury Distinguished Member

I actually like that, is that a black knit tie as well?

12. Caustic Man

13. orange fury

orange fury Distinguished Member

Looks good!

Tattersall season is here: 099B59BC-6A77-4D95-B441-A03B02B6F8D5.jpeg

New Rancourt Camp Mocs (in Carolina Brown CXL):
    563EC6C3-DA2A-423F-934E-E4A171529477.jpeg

My belt has wings and beer, because football season:
    A37737D4-941A-41A7-A5F3-0A690F1970F8.jpeg

14. Roycru

Roycru Distinguished Member

Yes, also received the "Artisans Of Freedom" email from the new President of Allen-Edmonds.

For some reason, "Artisans Of Freedom" reminded me of this local restaurant.

IMG_0993.JPG

With apologies to @Caustic Man, who thinks my car is not the best looking car he's ever seen.

On the off chance any of you are around here and are looking for Liberty Station, it's near the corner of Carefree Highway and North Scottsdale Road.