1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen focusing on quality mechanical watches proudly made in China.

MoneyWellSpent's Southern Trad Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Caustic Man, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Clouseau

Clouseau Distinguished Member

Madras.jpg

2. orange fury

orange fury Distinguished Member

I only started getting slippers when I already had all the bases covered (and my shoe rotation is larger than any person would consider reasonable- but still smaller than several on SF). That said- I love wearing my slippers at home or when I’m staying at hotels. I avoid concrete because they can’t be resoled, but I wear them on carpet, hardwood, and tile/linoleum all the time. They’re just comfortable to me.

Speaking of slippers, green RLPL Collis this morning (with a photobomb):
    EA89E286-B8BE-46D7-AB7B-DBE524A13B5A.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018

3. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Distinguished Member

Got no time for all that. After growing up in a bone chilling cold and drafty house I love the freedom of being barefooted as soon as I get home.

4. Roycru

Roycru Distinguished Member

If this is "Shoes And Animals" day, here's another "Shoes And Animals" picture.

P1120095.JPG

For shoe fans, the shoes are Allen-Edmonds Oakmonts made in 1984. For dog fans, Becky the dog is an (overweight) Pug.

5. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Stylish Dinosaur

6. Caustic Man

7. Caustic Man

8. orange fury

orange fury Distinguished Member

Not quite fun shirt Friday, but why not:
    F565CA8C-CF5B-4C77-8FC1-78223AABA9A7.jpeg

Guest appearance from another one, who was insistent on taste-testing my shoelaces:
    63226D76-6FFE-46F6-981B-5BA0933A712F.jpeg

9. philipneri

philipneri Member

Hello, I am new here. I have been bouncing around several different style websites over the past two years. I finally registered for SF because of how intriguing this thread is.

I am not really a Southern Trad. I am a preppy guy from Texas. Since I wear a uniform for work, I don't really have the opportunity for seersucker suits or madras sport coats. Therefore, my preppy wardrobe is exclusively casual.

Right now, my summer wardrobe consists of the following:
    • OCBDs (white, blue, pink, yellow, blue uni striped)
    • Linen Shirts (white, light blue)
    • Chino Shorts (stone, British khaki, gray, navy blue, olive green, Nantucket red, turquoise)
    • Canvas Sneakers (white)
    • Sperrys (classic brown, blue)
    Even though summer is almost gone, I still would like get some summer clothing recommendations. Maybe for the last month of summer. Or maybe for next year. Two things I have been thinking about are white bucks and a patchwork madras shirt. But what are your thoughts/recommendations?

10. Roycru

Roycru Distinguished Member

11. Artigas

Artigas Senior Member

Both of those are on my list, and I don’t think you could go wrong with either. And being in Texas, you could probably get a little more use out of them even past the season. At least until the fall rains start.

Average summer temperatures on Nantucket peak at 76 in July, so I don’t think it’s realistic for Texans to unerringly follow New England dress rules after Labor Day. More like guidelines as our early fall is often like their summer.

12. Caustic Man

Hi @philipneri thanks for joining us. If you've been following this thread then you know you aren't the only Texas preppy in the joint :) . I agree with Art in that I dress for the temperatures rather than what I consider to be arbitrary rules as to when one season starts and the other ends. I think white bucks are a great piece to try but consider that if you dress casually then you might be using them for the same things that you use your white canvas sneakers. So you might want to consider whether you really need them. Patchwork madras is great for going casual in a preppy way but there are a ton of options out there. You'll want to consider what it is you're looking for. J. Crew has made some very interesting patchwork shirts at entry level prices the last few years that are worth checking out.

13. starro

starro Senior Member

Why aren't tennis shirts in your list? For footwear, camp moccassins and penny loafers are more casual, ergo versatile, than the classic white buck.

14. Caustic Man

15. philipneri

philipneri Member

@Artigas - Thank you for the response and your support. I agree there are a lot of summer items that would be okay to wear post-Labor Day in Texas. However, I don't think white bucks would be one of them. Some madras would work though.

@Caustic Man - I have not really been following the thread for too long. But I have skimmed through 40 pages of it in the past week. So yeah, I have noticed some Texas preppy people in it. You are right that white bucks would not add much more to my casual wardrobe that canvas sneakers do not already cover. But I am a true buck lover. I wear brown, tan, navy and gray bucks in the fall. Thank you for the J Crew tip. It is definitely one of my go-to brands for entry level items. That is where I got my yellow OCBD. I just ordered my first madras shirt from them. It is not patchwork, but it is quite colorful. I will share a picture with you all once it arrives.

@starro - I do own two tennis shirts (white and navy). I have worn the white one twice (maybe) this year. I have not worn the navy one at all. I just feel like my OCBDs look better so I usually gravitate that way. Good shoe suggestions. I have not shopped around for camp mocs much. Do you have any suggestions under $200? I own a burgundy pair of Bass Weejuns which I wear in the fall. I could imagine myself buying a tan or taupe suede pair for the summer.