• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wouldn’t reduce criticism of Sven’s clothes to the argument that he just dresses like a typical dandy and therefore all dandies should be open to the same critique. There are some dandies who, although they do look overwrought to me, actually manage to look rakish. Sven, IMO, is not one of them.

starro

Reaction score
I wouldn’t reduce criticism of Sven’s clothes to the argument that he just dresses like a typical dandy and therefore all dandies should be open to the same critique. There are some dandies who, although they do look overwrought to me, actually manage to look rakish. Sven, IMO, is not one of them.

Well you're certainly welcome to elaborate your point and provide examples of exactly what you me. For me, I could not verbalize the difference between a dandy, a fop, or a peacock.

For good measure here's Merriam Webster's definition:
a man who gives exaggerated attention to personal appearance

I think we can simplify being "well-dressed" to 2 key components:
  1. Owning quality clothing
  2. Convincing others that the clothes you're wearing have no effect whatsoever on what you're doing, i.e. that you are perfectly unaware of clothing
It's part 2 that's tricky, that requires persuasion and charisma, that relates more to what's deep down inside rather than what's covering the surface. And this happens to be the gist of my previous post.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can't say anything about my point that is more convincing than to say that not all dandies are created equal. And so what's a dandy? Even that is hard to define precisely, regardless of Merriam Webster who seems only to complicate the issue.

I'm not on board with that definition of being well dressed either. I think reducing being well dressed to two things doesn't do justice to the complexity of the issue. I think we have to live with some level of ambiguity and uncertainty when it comes to talking about those who are well dressed and those who aren't.

My only comment about Sven's clothing choices would be a simple repetition, so I will avoid that.

starro

Reaction score
OK sure. I'm not getting much in the way of opposing arguments, besides that you disagree, which makes this discussion (if it can even be called that) pretty one-sided. So I'm losing interest fast.

Before I go, here's the definition from Oxford
A man unduly concerned with looking stylish and fashionable

See a common thread? It's in the attitude; it's more about the person than the clothes. Within reason of course; it is humanly impossible to make a Joker costume look "rakish".

Now, a dandy who doesn't look ridiculous? I'm afraid that's oxymoronic. There certainly could be degrees of dandy, just as there are degrees of bad taste, but dandy has nothing in common with good taste.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While on the subject of Madras, showing how Madras can be used as desert camouflage.

P1110982.jpg

As you can see, it's about as effective as "Mountbatten Pink" desert camouflage was.

starro

Reaction score
Yes, that's the objective. I'm not interested in deconstructing this topic.

Then word of advice, don't respond to someone if you have no plan to follow through. Making like you have a point to raise when you have none is not endearing.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree, although I can’t comment on his trustworthiness I will say that I actually enjoy his channel for a specific reason. He isn’t obsessed with treading the same old menswear ground (you know, like explaining the meaning of the word Seersucker or the difference between full and half canvas). True, he does explain things like this but he also talks about things that are more esoteric and not necessarily geared toward the uninitiated. However, he does often come across as having a very superficial understanding of some things and sometimes he’s just plain wrong.

You have met him?

That’s @Orgetorix and it’s too bad that he was chosen to represent fedoracore (whatever that is). He’s actually a very good dresser and isn’t obsessed with old timey hats at all. In fact, he has posted some great things in this thread in the past.

But yeah, Sven’s look on Gentleman’s Gazette leans too much toward try-hard dandy for me. And I wear madras...
I was just going to say, it's unfortunate and a bit funny that whoever made that picture used Orgetorix. He's probably one of the best dressed posters I've seen here and on AAAC

339693b2.jpg

IMG_1274.jpg

I just realized he's also right on the 1st page of this thread!

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While on the subject of Madras, showing how Madras can be used as desert camouflage.

View attachment 1004890

As you can see, it's about as effective as "Mountbatten Pink" desert camouflage was.
I love the subdued madras.

What brand is the shirt btw? I love the collar roll on it. Also, fabric? Is it just regular oxford?

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the subdued madras.

What brand is the shirt btw? I love the collar roll on it. Also, fabric? Is it just regular oxford?

Thank you. Got the shirt from Lands' End around ten years ago. Think they called it "Pinpoint" at that time. It's much lighter weight than Oxford (and yes, it's a permanent press shirt).

On a large enough monitor, you may be able to make out the yellow monogram on the shirt pocket. It's probably easier to see one of the four embroidered monograms (it was a special order also around ten years ago) on the belt.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Then word of advice, don't respond to someone if you have no plan to follow through. Making like you have a point to raise when you have none is not endearing.

I was trying to express the fact that I think you’re ideas are too reductive while not falling into a rabbit hole of debate. Politeness compelled me to engage you to a small degree but fatigue begged me to stop. You should not take a passing critique as an invitation to a debate.

I was just going to say, it's unfortunate and a bit funny that whoever made that picture used Orgetorix. He's probably one of the best dressed posters I've seen here and on AAAC

339693b2.jpg

IMG_1274.jpg

I just realized he's also right on the 1st page of this thread!

Here’s the thing about Org: I never got the sense that he was a dandy. And that’s a good thing. He’s just a well dressed ordinary dude and that is cool to me. I’ve seen some dudes on SF go from well dressed regular guy to full on dandy influencer. They always remain well dressed but something gets lost.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads