• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Artigas

Reaction score
How are all the lonely preppies here on SF? The Italians might lose their minds over the stuff posted in here.

You don't have to be lonely--at PreppiesOnly.com

Bring a Vassar or Bryn Mawr alum home to meet mother, today!

Artigas

Reaction score
Here is another "informative" video telling you everything you need to know about the Ivy Style. Try not to laugh too hard.

I have mixed feelings about this channel. He does showcase some interesting pieces. On the other hand, his overall presentation smacks of playing dress-up, and his expressions engender distrust. And of course, his understanding of the subject matter leaves much to be desired. It makes me think of how early Japanese Ivy enthusiasts weren't fully able to grasp the style:

W. David Marx said:
Today, little about the clothing in the photo would be identified as Ivy League style—certainly not Kurosu’s porkpie hat, cufflinks, silver-colored formal necktie, and pearl tiepin. Despite Men’s Club’s position at the forefront of Ivy League fashion in Japan, nobody involved in the operation could accurately replicate the American collegiate look. Lacking firsthand experience with Ivy League students, the style in Japan was built on tiny scraps of information and Men’s Club editors’ educated guesses.

In our information age, getting the right answers should have been much more straightforward, especially for one willing to go to the trouble to produce and edit a video on the subject.

Last edited:

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always think of the unfortunate fedoracore gentleman pictured below whenever I see any of GG's videos.

xleP5Py.jpg

Last edited:

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about this channel. He does showcase some interesting pieces. On the other hand, his overall presentation smacks of playing dress-up, and his expressions engender distrust. And of course, his understanding of the subject matter leaves much to be desired. It makes me think of how early Japanese Ivy enthusiasts weren't fully able to grasp the style:

In our information age, getting the right answers should have been much more straightforward, especially for one willing to go to the trouble to produce and edit a video on the subject.

I agree, although I can’t comment on his trustworthiness I will say that I actually enjoy his channel for a specific reason. He isn’t obsessed with treading the same old menswear ground (you know, like explaining the meaning of the word Seersucker or the difference between full and half canvas). True, he does explain things like this but he also talks about things that are more esoteric and not necessarily geared toward the uninitiated. However, he does often come across as having a very superficial understanding of some things and sometimes he’s just plain wrong.

Not to mention a jerk in person.

You have met him?

I always think of the unfortunate fedoracore gentleman pictured below whenever I see any of GG's videos.

xleP5Py.jpg

That’s @Orgetorix and it’s too bad that he was chosen to represent fedoracore (whatever that is). He’s actually a very good dresser and isn’t obsessed with old timey hats at all. In fact, he has posted some great things in this thread in the past.

But yeah, Sven’s look on Gentleman’s Gazette leans too much toward try-hard dandy for me. And I wear madras...

starro

Reaction score
You have met him?

Yes, third-party witness is an apt description. Suffice it to say I got enough first-hand understanding of his business practices that I'd recommend against being a customer, client, or counterparty of his.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hm, interesting. I’ll let that comment speak for itself since I can’t add anything of relevance.

On another note, I consider this outfit to be trad. The jacket is dartless, 3r2, natural shoulders with swelled edges. Shirt is a university stripe OCBD. Trousers are Brooks Brothers. Unseen are a pair of penny loafers, pennies included. Stetson hat. Ray Bans. But anyway, just goes to show that trad can look contemporary.

4FA8C6CA-A015-498E-9615-42008984B67C.jpeg

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As @Caustic Man said, "And I wear Madras...."

P1110968.JPG

.....and unlike Sven, neither of us sell $40.00 artificial buttonhole flowers.

The only acceptable artificial buttonhole flowers are the ones sold by various veteran's organizations to benefit veterans.

Last edited:

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore an artificial lapel flower once. I didn't much care for it. It just didn't look right to me. Truth be told I don't put much in my lapel button holes at all.
Got to be better than those silk knot cuff links in lapel button holes. Dunno where, why or how that trend started but I look forward to the day it will stop.

As for GG - all I will say is that he seems to get the wrong end of the stick with alarming frequency, and I don’t know whether it’s his choice of clothes or the way they fit him but I struggle to recall a single photo of him which made me think ‘great look’ or ‘fantastic piece’ or ‘perfect fit’ etc. All too often he really does look like he’s raided his dad’s (grandad’s?) wardrobe for a never-ending game of dress up. He just doesn’t look relaxed or natural, his clothes are wearing him!

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That’s the key, his clothes do look like they wear him. I can’t speak to what he feels inside but he doesn’t look comfortable in them. Everything looks “just so.” So organized and perfect. Like a mannequin in a museum rather than a person who dresses the way he does as a matter of course.

starro

Reaction score
Since we're discussing visual impressions this gentleman leaves us, I think it's appropriate to bring up what a psychologist/neurologist calls the Ted Cruz effect (remember 2016 anyone?).

Look at this
57f6bce157540c8c728b4693-640-480.jpg
Screen-Shot-2018-02-09-at-7.04.47-AM.png

Here's the article on the "Ted Cruz effect": https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...-ted-cruz-s-facial-expression-makes-me-uneasy

Here's the two of them, on picture day, saying Cheese:
Sven-Raphael-Schneider.jpg
cruzportrait.jpg

And is it possible the gentleman goes to the same barber as Richard Spencer?
side-view-SRS-styled-undercut-900x601.jpg
nationalist_copy.jpg

As to criticism of his clothing choices, they are the choices of a typical dandy. And all criticism of the genus applies to the species.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads