STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

MoneyWellSpent's Southern Trad Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Caustic Man, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Artigas

Artigas Senior Member

CM, this seems like a good example of your statement that the Trad jacket achieves that masculine silhouette "through the shape of the shoulders and the sleeves, rather than through taking in the waist". Glad to see you are enjoying Houston, Hector excepted.

2. orange fury

orange fury Distinguished Member

Last post on Albert slippers, I promise.

Got RLPL Collis pair 2 of 2 in today:
    C1EEC634-DC62-49E8-BB8C-AF0F23C39A58.jpeg

C307FDA9-41B4-4C5D-8213-DDFDFF3E9FC8.jpeg

I actually had planned on ordering both these and the green ones at the same time, but I wanted to confirm that they would fit before I went all in. Since slippers with school crests are usually reserved for Ivy League schools (primarily through JP Crickets), I figured the only way I could get my alma mater done was to order the slippers and do custom embroidery through a third party. Still deciding if I’m going to do the seal or the logo, and still need to find a place that does custom embroidery.

That’s it for a good while for me, the green and orange pairs were the only two I had really been wanting (and since they’re fairly rare, I knew I probably wouldn’t get a shot again). The only other pair I really want is black Del Toros with a skull and crossbones embroidery, but those are regularly available, so no rush there.

Family photo, for those that were interested:
    C49A2C8A-429B-4F50-8073-E8455BACD67E.jpeg

Clockwise from left:
    Brooks Brothers in wool (England- fairly certain they’re made by Church’s)
    RLPL Collis in green suede (Italy- not sure by who)
    RLPL Collis in orange suede (Italy- not sure by who)
    JP Crickets x Brooks in suede (Italy)
    Stubbs and Wootton in velvet (Spain)
    Stubbs and Wootton x VV in needlepoint (Spain)

I’ll shut up now :hide:

3. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Distinguished Member

4. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Distinguished Member

Generally it looks good, however you would classify it. I do think there is slightly too much going on with the white tassel loafers and the patterned tie. If I was going to wear a jacket like that I would go super conservative with everything else. Maybe a solid navy knit and plain brown pennies. You gotta do you, though.

5. orange fury

I like it @An Acute Style. Just my opinion, but I’d probably change the shirt and tie- the white just seems jarring to me for some reason. What are the jacket and shoes though? I like those a lot.

This is a similar outfit I wore last summer (I’ve worn the same thing since then, but I just snagged a couple screenshots from my IG):
    5EDDC119-4811-4C28-9439-1E2F1F560AA7.jpeg AECCD029-52D7-460B-8194-79E41C03B16B.jpeg

6. Caustic Man

I like this one a little better. I think the tie and shirt are perfect. The shoes I’m OK with.

7. orange fury

I actually did the same outfit a few weeks ago with my color 8 Alden pennies- I liked the way it turned out. I do like my bit loafers though...

8. Caustic Man

I’m okay with bit loafers but those are another item that I don’t like to mix FU clothing with.

9. Lucido

Lucido Senior Member

@orange fury Deets on the bit loafers please? I've been craving a pair lately.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018

10. orange fury

Allen Edmonds Verona II in brown. I love em, super soft leather

Edit- @Lucido, sorry I couldn’t expound on this more yesterday, I was at work when I saw it. I have two pairs of the Verona II, in black and brown. When I got them, I had actually been looking at pulling the trigger on a pair of Guccis (the 1953), but got a great deal on the Black Verona’s (plus, AE had just made them eligible for recrafting). After handling and trying on a pair of Gucci’s, I actually like the AE better- the construction just seems a little bit better, and the leather a little bit softer (it feels like glove leather, though I don’t have anything to back that up- much softer than standard calf though). Not at all quantifiable, but just my opinion (though, an opinion that seems to be shared by others online). I found the brown pair discounted shortly after. I’d like to get the tan pair to round out my collection, but I don’t like how AE has raised their prices on these recently- I may use this as an excuse to check out Rancourt’s version.

The only issue I have with the Verona’s (and it’s just a preference) is that I slightly prefer the Gucci’s gold bit over the AE’s silver bit. It’s a marginally minor preference though- I had two pairs of crappy Cole Haan bits several years back that had the gold bit, and it was just something I grew to like. I’ll take the AE’s quality over the CH’s with a gold bit every time though. If I opt for the Rancourt version, those have the silver bit too, so it’s not a big deal.

The other thing, and this applies to all bit loafers, is that the sole is really thin. I got mine after I had already but a solid rotation of shoes, so mine only get worn occasionally (and only when it’s dry outside), but I’ve heard people complain how quickly soles on bit loafers wear out. They’re not a shoe you can really wear every day imho. That said, AE at least has the equipment now to resole them when it gets to that point.

Also, this isn’t to say I wouldn’t own a pair of Gucci bits at some point- I might if the right pair came along at the right price (let’s be honest, I probably will buy a pair at some point down the road), I just really like my Verona’s.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018 at 5:41 AM

11. An Acute Style

Great look. I love bit loafers. The shoes are Allen Edmonds. The jacket is Polo. I’m pretty sure your jacket is too. I am not sold on the tie, but got positive feedback on it in the WARYWRN thread. I’ll try a blue shirt next time.

12. orange fury

Mine is PRL too- I’m continuously torn as to whether this or my bone linen DB PRL is my favorite summer jacket. I would love to snag a pair of white/off-white tassels, those look like they’re suede or nubuck?

13. smittycl

smittycl Distinguished Member

F6CE8A36-F2AF-4351-A914-32144F5966A0.jpeg

Out for a play last night. Linen shirt and pants from Paul Stuart. Gave the sleeves one more roll after the pic. Kids gave me the neat Rick and Morty phone case for Fathers Day. Shoes are Allen Edmonds Shreveport.

Stifling heat coming up next week. Wearing all the lightest stuff I can find!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018 at 5:57 AM

14. Caustic Man

Jeebus that’s a clunky cuff roll. Try folding the cuff in half and rolling from there. It will look much more proportional.

15. An Acute Style

Nubuck.

Black watch madras. Not sold on the green tie. Brooks Bros jacket. Polo shoes.

E9DC091C-3E81-4E95-A705-168A96E8862A.jpeg

4D3A60CD-F24C-4AF4-9851-82479BC07A9C.jpeg

8F452F49-5E99-481B-97D6-93C9A8D26D8F.jpeg