1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

MoneyWellSpent's Southern Trad Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Caustic Man, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Colco, that is exceptional. Love the choice of a subdued green for the tie. Seersucker often temps people to wear wild ties, but staying sober with them is best IMO.

2 people like this.
  2. colco

colco Senior member

Many thanks

1 person likes this.
  3. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Very nice Colco. I second that notion CM. I think that green ties are optimal with seersucker, especially green ties of the forest variety.

2 people like this.
  4. colco

colco Senior member

Thank you Newcomer. I was unsure of the green tie (from Chipp if anyone cares to know) with the white shirt glad it came off well!

1 person likes this.
  5. smittycl

smittycl Senior member

Nice pocket square as well! Heading on vacation and will get my seersucker altered when I get back.

1 person likes this.
  6. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

With seersucker suit, My preferences, in descending order, are my:

1. Bone & white spectators
    2. White bucks
    3. Walnut/tan loafers or half brougues.

In other words, nothing I would call dark. Mine may be a minority view. But I think once you put on seersucker, trying to "formalize" with dark, conservative footwear is sorta pointless. Like someone ordering a double cheeseburger and fries but getting a Diet Coke because they are watching their weight. I'd rather just "let my freak flag fly."

I do agree with toning things down a bit with a darkish solid tie. So maybe I'm contradicting myself to rationalize my shoe preferences. By the way, the green tie posted above looks great.

Last week I wore seersucker to court on "unopposed motion day." After much deliberation I wore the white bucks. In for a penny in for a pound.[​IMG]

7. Caustic Man

Although I agree with you, I've seen people wear casual dark shoes with seersucker and I thought it was successful. Think black tassel loafers, for instance. It's tough to pull off but you can. Then again, the white trousers/black shoes look is something reasonably common in the south as well. Obviously, as my seersucker fit shows, I chose to go the route you favor regardless.

8. smittycl

smittycl Senior member

I'm reluctant to buy shoes exclusively for wear with seersucker. Walnut Strands currently in for re-crafting (likely up on lift now getting tires rotated and fluids checked).

9. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I am going to wear my seersucker suit with No. 8 tasseks.

I am not a big fan of "traditional" white bucks. I can find that they quickly become fuddy-duddy-ish or costumey (which is a risk inherent with seersucker). I don't think there is any issue with No. 8 tasseks, matching belt (really, braces would be preferable - I find that the biggest issue is the belt when it comes to seersucker), white shirt and a navy tie.

[​IMG]

On the other hand, I love these derbies from St. Crispin.

With respect to light colors, dark shoes in the south, I think the reason for this is pretty simple (at least in my view). Light colors in the south are not as inherently informal as the north. It is hotter than hades, and light colors can really make the summer palatable. Also, when the sun is beaming down, light colors just look better. There is something jarring about a solid navy suit in the middle of a Louisiana summer.

1 person likes this.
  10. colco

colco Senior member

regarding shoes, wore these:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  11. Caustic Man

This is a very good point. Contextually speaking this would account for what seems like an incongruity to outsiders.

12. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

Just picked up these Barrie Ltd white bucks from eBay. I have three pairs of white shoes now. Bluchers, wingtip oxfords and tassel loafers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. Caustic Man

Wait, you have white tassel loafers? Why have I never seen you wear these???

14. An Acute Style

[​IMG]

By Allen Edmonds.

1 person likes this.
  15. Caustic Man

16. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I gave serious thought to picking these up:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. smittycl

smittycl Senior member

My favorite maker! Only dress shoes I own as a mater of fact.

18. ReubenR

ReubenR Senior member

Guess this outfit from church on Sunday is worth sharing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  19. An Acute Style

:bigstar:

1 person likes this.
  20. smittycl

smittycl Senior member

Intersting article on J. Press in Ivy Style today. http://www.ivy-style.com/real-people-j-press-introduces-live-models.html

Interesting looks. Not sure I like the undarted suits, though. Very Trad but even Brooks basically gave up on the sack suit. (Funny to note they poached the model who works with Brooks Brothers and Attolini). There is a J Press store in DC that I've walked by but never actually visited.

Anyone ever been in one of their stores?