1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen focusing on quality mechanical watches proudly made in China.

MoneyWellSpent's Southern Trad Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Caustic Man, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Roycru

Roycru Distinguished Member

Once again getting back to clothes, over on the Ivy-Style blog (which occassionaly features some of @Caustic Man's writings) there is a picture from 1967 showing someone wearing a batik jacket.

http://www.ivy-style.com/dateline-67-madras-seersucker-and-the-rising-sunshine.html

There used to be all kinds of wonderful jackets in the fifties and sixties before the horrid hippies happened and ruined everything forever and ever.

Here's a picture of me in 1962 wearing my all time favorite jacket, a very very dark brown and black paisley cotton jacket, which I wore almost every day until it fell apart.

img792 2.jpg

2. Blake Stitched Blues

Blake Stitched Blues Senior Member

What is a Batik jacket? Google image search doesn't turn up anything useful.

3. am55

am55 Distinguished Member

He is probably referring to the dyeing pattern which is a specialty of Indonesia and usually worn on shirts these days. You could make a jacket out of it and it is in the same spirit as madras if a little less flashy (only a little).

[​IMG]

4. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Stylish Dinosaur

I have a wonderful Sri Lankan batik hanging in my living room. It’s made by a process of repeatedly waxing and dying cloth so that the dye is absorbed in some places and not others. Really good batiks can take some time to produce.

5. Roycru

There's an old saying about a tourist being someone who drives a thousand miles and then takes a picture standing next to their car.

Don't know what a person who drives three miles and then takes a picture standing next to their car is called.

P1110234 2.jpg

6. Sartorially Striving

Sartorially Striving Well-Known Member

"Californian" if you could have walked to your destination faster.

7. Caustic Man

Hah, true.

8. Caustic Man

A solid navy seersucker suit might be in my future. Here's the cloth from Gadson...

102365_Navy_fs.jpg

This Houston move is almost certainly going to happen so I'm trying to prepare (in my own way). Any recommendations on styling and features from a Texas perspective (whatever that might be)? I'm thinking triple patch, white MoP buttons, half lined, double vented. Not sure if I want to go with no front darts but I'm strongly leaning toward it.

9. winghus

winghus Senior Member

What part of Texas? That makes a huge cultural difference.

10. Caustic Man

11. smittycl

smittycl Distinguished Member

D823FCD6-6D82-48BE-B8F4-F9FF1F7183AE.jpeg

I’m still on the fence over indigo vs. navy for Seersucker. Still fixated on the Loro Piana Silk Air fabric. Leaning towards indigo even though Navy is more work-friendly. The fabric is G level with KW.

Triple patch is a bit distracting. The chest pocket draws the eye down.

My wife, an actual rocket scientist, says Houston is flat, wet and full of petrochemicals but the people are awesome, the BBQ is world-class and the Johnson Space Center is really cool. You can see Apollo Mission Control! :cheers:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018

12. am55

am55 Distinguished Member

Interesting seeing that in 1962, the 1940s fashion for shorter hemmed trousers made a comeback:

[​IMG]

13. Roycru

My blue and white seersucker suit (from Brooks Brothers) has two patch pockets and no darts.

P1090937 2.jpg

14. Caustic Man

Interesting take. I actually think I'm on board with you. Might go with a welted pocket and two flapped patch pockets on the sides. And yeah, I'm definitely going to nerd out on some space stuff.

I dig it. I'm leaning toward modeling mine after something like that.

15. matty long legs

matty long legs Distinguished Member

SF groupthink? I've been thinking about a navy seersucker suit, though with less Trad details, after seeing this on the Ben Silver site. I had the perfect occasion to wear it, a Labor Day weekend wedding at The Greenbrier, but I just found out it's black tie. Now I'll wear my usual black tie rig.