1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

MoneyWellSpent's Southern Trad Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Caustic Man, Jun 13, 2016.

1. smittycl

smittycl Senior member

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  2. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Excellent! You had BETTER post pics when you wear this. Tie dimple or no.

1 person likes this.
  3. smittycl

smittycl Senior member

Will do! Missed DC Seersucker day but assume it will be hot as hell through September. Time to break the "no white after Labor Day" silliness.

1 person likes this.
  4. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Shitty picture, better coordination. New house, still trying to figure out how to take pics.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  5. Caustic Man

That looks really good. If you intend on sending it back to KW for MTM I would suggest extending the shoulders a touch, lowering the buttoning point slightly, and lengthening the right sleeve just a touch.

6. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Those are really my exact thoughts. Honestly, for this iteration (i.e., for seersucker), I am fine with it how it is. I will probably make MTM changes going forward. Probably take in the waist of the pants a pinch as well.

1 person likes this.
  7. pleatedjeans

pleatedjeans Well-Known Member

@Newcomer that looks great! Love the lapels.

@smittycl post pictures when you get that Haspel seersucker in hand - I'm super tempted by the tan/white one and might just pull the trigger depending on how you like it

1 person likes this.
  8. Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii Senior member

I'd agree. Shoulders look a bit narrow--there's a bit of collar gap on the left side. I also think the waist on the right side looks too tight. It's hard to tell though, because it looks like you've got the coat's centerline sitting on the left side of your body. Be easier to judge everything if the coat was centered firmly.

That drag on the right thigh under the crotch seam puzzles me.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  9. leisurewear

leisurewear Senior member

Too much color?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Caustic Man

Nope. I'd have gone with a white belt, just cuz, but it looks good.

1 person likes this.
  11. smittycl

smittycl Senior member

Matching belt to shoes: always a good idea. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. Caustic Man

Well, when else would you have an opportunity to wear a white belt? ;)

1 person likes this.
  13. leisurewear

Yes agreed. I've had these shoes for a couple weeks and still haven't found the right belt. Should really just buy one online...

14. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

On the other hand, one could argue that the belt harmonizes perfectly by combining colors from the pants and the welt on the shoes, so it actually does match while not drawing too much attention to itself in an otherwise bright outfit. I think a white belt here may become a focal point towards your midsection, and "cut you in half." Instead, it comfortably sinks into the background.

1 person likes this.
  15. leisurewear

I think this is why the belt did not seem too out of place to me when I looked at it in the mirror but the problem is the welt/sole is more of a brick red instead of light brown. I was thinking something like a white/navy striped belt or some other pattern and not a solid white.

16. smittycl

smittycl Senior member

One could argue but one would usually be wrong in this case. :D

17. MoneyWellSpent

Interesting. :) Based on what line of thinking?

18. smittycl

smittycl Senior member

I've always felts belts should be a clear dividing line sight wise. The harmonization comes from matching belt to shoes.

19. MoneyWellSpent

I agree that they should harmonize with the shoes in traditional men's dress rules, and I do the same. However, in Ivy/Trad, this isn't as closely adhered to. Ribbon belts, Surcingle belts, etc., frequently don't and even can't match the shoes. Therefore, one can't be dogmatic in this arena of style due to the high variance of colors.

Interestingly, there was an article on Real Men Real Style recently that challenged the tradition of matching the shoes, and instead says that it should match the trousers. This is certainly based on the assumption that your shoes are a proper pairing with the trousers as well, which in turn means that the shoes and belt will harmonize. I can't say I always agree with this article, as I do match my belts to my shoes in general, but I do try to prevent too much contrast for the bisecting phenomenon they discuss here (see Rule #7)http://www.realmenrealstyle.com/style-rules-that-matter/

Again, this goes out the window with much of the Ivy/Trad style, but it doesn't have to. There is simply more flexibility and room for louder color, etc.

1 person likes this.
  20. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

I believe at one time that was known as the "full Cleveland," (for reasons unknown to me).

I think I'd call O'Connell's and get a couple of surcincle belts for looks like that. But, no, that's not too much color.