MoneyWellSpent's Southern Trad Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Caustic Man, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

2. Caustic Man

Two possibilities for my seersucker suit for the biggest local horse race of the year, coming up in August. Thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Id have to go with the second one. No offense, but that blue hat kinda looks like something you would see on a rap or pop artist.

4. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

^^^ I probably should have added that there isn't anything wrong with that, if it is one's style, but it just doesn't fit into any of my preconceived "Trad" categories.

5. pleatedjeans

pleatedjeans Senior member

Second vote for option 2 - I like the white square and the lighter hat, but I'd pair it with the blue tie opposed to the green

6. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

The blue hat looks a little too much like a homburg, with the tall crown with no side dimples and the upturned brim all the way around. It's a formal look that clashes with the inherent casualness of straw. It could be reblocked with side dimples and a snapped brim, and it'd be better.

Here's my seersucker outfit from Sunday:

[​IMG]

7. Caustic Man

Thanks for the responses so far. It is indeed a straw homburg, which is why I got it. A little different, I guess. I was inspired by some of Tom Wolfe's blue homburgs.

8. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Yeah...it works for him because he goes all-out with the rest of his outfit. Three-piece suits, high collars, etc. His outfits are FORMAL in a dandyish, affected way. It works for him, but I think it'd be hard to pull off as well as he does without going whole hog like he does. If you're going to pull off a blue straw homburg, I think you need a blue three-piece linen suit, spats, etc.

I have a blue Dobbs Rosebud straw fedora I wear all the time. It works really well with a variety of outfits, including seersucker.

9. Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii Senior member

I say go with the homburg. You only live once, it's a horse race, and there's little difference between a cream straw fedora and a cobalt blue straw homburg. I'd prefer a midnight blue or dark brown tie, though. The royal blue of that tie is uncomfortably between the cobalt in the hat and the navy in the hatband. And I might try to get rid of the feather. Great thread, by the way.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016

10. Caustic Man

Thanks for the advise. I'm leaning toward the blue as well, because fuck it. The tie is actually Chipp's navy grenadine, but maybe it looks brighter in the pic.

11. smittycl

smittycl Senior member

[​IMG]
    Needed resort shoes to go with linen pants for dinner and such. Ben Silver came through. Pretty awesome linen shirts as well but I have enough already. [​IMG]

12. smittycl

smittycl Senior member

Blue looks pretty nice. I have to admit that horse racing, apart from the 30 second race itself, is really dull. Looking great while partying and sipping rye at the horse race, however, is pretty cool.

13. Caustic Man

Well, as everyone knows, horse racing is a 7 hour party punctuated with intermittent racing! Nice shoes, BTW. I likey.

Also, they last longer than 30 seconds. lol

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016

14. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

White Grandi & Rubinelli linen/cotton button down x Aqua 5" Baggies x Stubbs linen needlepoints x Rolex. Was told by the #TwitFo #gang I was very #SouthernTrad

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016

15. winghus

winghus Senior member

CM, swap hats and wear the top choice, or change squares on the second. It's a seersucker suit, the square should stand out.