1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

MoneyWellSpent's Southern Trad Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Caustic Man, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii Senior member

It's your thread, so your call. Myself, I quite like the focus on Southern Trad, since one can get all one would ever need on general Trad from the AAAC Trad forum and IvyStyle. I also think SFers are a bit more discriminating when it comes to color combinations and differences in hue and saturation, which as you've noted are crucial to the difference between Southern and Northeast Trad.

2 people like this.
  2. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I agree, I say keep it with Southern Trad. We can discuss all types of Trad - especially as a means of comparison - but I kind of like the focus.

Southern trad is plainly a different animal.

1 person likes this.
  3. smittycl

smittycl Senior member

I was looking on J. Press' website and all their jackets are undarted. Eek! Sack Suit is Trad, but not for me. I was watching an Oxxford Seersucker on eBay but the measurements were not quite right for me. I think BB might be the way to go. I also have no experience with Haspel.

4. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Ok, southern trad it will remain. Thanks for the input!

BTW, BB has made both fully lined and half lined seersucker suit.

1 person likes this.
  5. pleatedjeans

pleatedjeans Well-Known Member

I've seen the Mashburn jacket in person, didn't try it on so can't speak to the fit, but it appeared like a true fitted sack jacket with soft construction...maybe something I'll consider if it hits the sale rack. Your point is well taken about the cost though, for the price of a seersucker suit I would typically be inclined to get something more flexible.

Currently I've got a pair of off-white/grey seersucker trousers - I've been wearing those with a light white shirt when it's 90+ out, but because the stripping on the seersucker is so subtle the trousers don't really read as seersucker. Stealthy southern trad? Yet to jump feet first into the full suit.

1 person likes this.
  6. smittycl

smittycl Senior member

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  7. Caustic Man

From what I've heard Haspel would be a solid choice. Nice Oxxford though.

8. smittycl

smittycl Senior member

As a Northerner it would have been amusing to wear a Seersucker made in Chicago.

9. Caustic Man

Chicago is pretty terrible but they certainly make some nice stuff here.

10. smittycl

smittycl Senior member

Oh, come now. I grew up in Toledo and have spent lots of time in Chicago. Love that town! Was just there a few months ago. Much more American than my current DC digs. I have family in Lexington so I reconnect with the South every now and again but am a dyed-in-the-wool Northerner.

11. Caustic Man

Toledo, that explains it. As I mentioned, by wife is from (very) small town western PA. She loves Chicago too. I suspect that it's mostly people from small towns who would voluntarily live in the vile crush of humanity that is a major metropolis. As the Grinch said "All the noise, noise, noise, noise..."

12. smittycl

smittycl Senior member

Well, no one calls Toledo a bustling metropolis but it's not a small town.World class art museum, symphony and zoo at a minimum. I'm German-Irish and absolutely love Poles (History major and literature lover). Chicago is awesome. Architecture, food, comedy, people, art, nothing not to love.

13. Caustic Man

It is to people from big cities...

[​IMG] (JK!)

Srsly though, Chi-Town has a lot of problems. If you've ever been to the South Side it is just heartbreaking. The fiscal problems are infuriating. Not everyone is a 2A guy, and I respect that, but it's terrible for gun owners. Then there are the issues of cost of living, police and government corruption, crumbling infrastructure, etc. On the other hand, they have a world class opera and that is super rare.

1 person likes this.
  14. matty long legs

matty long legs Senior member

1 person likes this.
  15. smittycl

smittycl Senior member

I completely understand. I just blow in as a tourist and stay in nice hotels downtown, bars, Second City, nice restaurants, etc. I don't live there and don't have to deal with daily life. I missed the "2A" thing, though. What's that?

I've owned guns since 1984 but have gotten rid of them all recently. Living in West Texas (one big rifle range) was one thing but urban life is different. Post-Newtown I dumped all my military-style weapons. Anyway, veering way off SF topics now!

Okay, today's wardrobe: Belvest light brown wool-linen blend, light blue shirt from Ledbury and green/orange/yellow Regimental. there, that feels better!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  16. Caustic Man

Yeah, you'd need to wear black tie, like, half the year to justify a seersucker dinner jacket! It's very cool though. I... I actually kinda want one.

2A = 2nd Amendment.

So post pics of the fit, already! Inquiring busy bodies want to know.

1 person likes this.
  17. ReubenR

ReubenR Senior member

I'll be your huckleberry:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  18. smittycl

smittycl Senior member

You aren't known as "Colonel" are you? Quite the Southern Trad look! [​IMG]

19. Caustic Man

A lot of those are actually not bad in a southern context. Love the madras!

20. smittycl

smittycl Senior member

I need to up my knot-tying game first. I can do a feeble 4IH but need to practice on Pratt-Shelby and Half-Windsor. This is a dimple-loving crowd. [​IMG]