1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

MoneyWellSpent's Southern Trad Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Caustic Man, Jun 13, 2016.

1. J o s h

J o s h Senior member

That did used to be the case for women. For men it was charcoal or navy!

2 people like this.
  2. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

A Public Service Announcement:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. smittycl

smittycl Senior member

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  4. Caustic Man

I saw that post. Interesting indeed. The funny things is that the very thing that critics cite to lambast preppy-dom (that it is elitist) is what attracts so many people to it. The devil-may-care attitude, the snotty defiance, even the holier than thou stereotypes are what makes the style interesting in addition to the legitimate aspects. This clash occurs, of course, because preppy-ness has gone mainstream. It's not just a few small segments of old money elites.

1 person likes this.
  5. Caustic Man

As an aside: What do you all think of turning this thread into a general Trad/Prep thread? We can still talk about Southern Trad as much as we want, of course. We would just be a more general thread for Trad/Preppy talk as well.

2 people like this.
  6. smittycl

smittycl Senior member

Makes sense. As this forum has shown there is quite of bit of overlap between Trad and Southern Trad.

7. Caustic Man

The thing is, there isn't really a central place for Trad that I have noticed. If people really want this to stay southern specific then that's fin too, though.

8. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Just cross-posting this, so as to not destroy KW's thread.

I found this comment interesting. "Would be interested in seeing it [i.e., a seersucker suit] worn in a business context in this thread."

I guess, a little bit of backstory. I grew up in Memphis, TN, and spent every single football weekend in Oxford, MS. I rushed, was rush chair, social chair, etc., of my fraternity, and can't say I ever wore anything that was not some shade of pastel. Similarly, I went to law school in Baton Rouge, LA, and spent every single football weekend in Baton Rouge, LA.

Long story short, as far as I am concerned, seersucker can always be worn in a business context. Further, I guess southern trad - at least from my perspective - is not really a style of dress. It is just something I have done daily for as long as I can remember. Southern trad, if one can call it that, is my default dress. I feel far more at ease in seersucker or cotton than I do in tobacco fresco. Southern trad is something I actively try to distance myself from in my dress - although every once in a while, I grab a bright yellow tie, a white shirt, and an old Haspel suit, and just call it a day.

Sometimes I try to emulate northern trad - with its frayed oxford collars, and its Alden tassel loafers - and sometimes I try to emulate that southern eyetalian look - with its tobacco linen, and abundance of navy ties. But that very clearly takes effort. In contrast, if I want to dress southern trad, I dip into my wardrobe, and pull out the first thing I see.

2 people like this.
  9. Caustic Man

Great post. One of the interesting things about southern trad is the context in which certain pieces are used. Sure, seersucker exists in both northern and southern trad circles, but you'd almost never see a trad person from the north wearing it in a business context.

10. smittycl

smittycl Senior member

Interesting piece in The Economist culture mag on Trump possibly killing suits.I guess Obama wears lots of Canali!

https://www.1843magazine.com/style/last-trump-for-the-suit

"The suit is much more than a clownish uniform of power. It is a wearable expression of culture, an emblem of discernment whose details transmit a sophisticated, time-honed code of craftsmanship. Barack Obama and even Vladimir Putin (who are both clients of Canali) are in their ways both politically prominent exemplars of that. But Trump? The higher he rises, the more likely it is that a generation that is already increasingly uninterested in aspiring to tailoring will be turned off it for good – repelled by the cut of his cloth and appalled by the man inside it."

11. Caustic Man

I don't know if they were just trying to generate clicks, but the idea that the suit is endangered by Trump seems a bit of a stretch.

1 person likes this.
  12. smittycl

smittycl Senior member

Yeah, I thought it was amusing, though. It's in their cultural magazine they mail to subscribers. I liked it for the Obama/Putin Canali connection.

13. Caustic Man

lol Yes, interesting subtle association there.

1 person likes this.
  14. Caustic Man

Ok, unless there are any objections I will ask the mods to change the name of this thread to "Moneywellspent's Trad/Preppy Thread". Speak now or forever hold your peace.

1 person likes this.
  15. pleatedjeans

pleatedjeans Well-Known Member

Walking to work today I saw 2 fully seersucker suited (older) gentlemen going about their business. One was even complete with straw boater/pastel bow tie. Both had tassel loafers. Granted, it is slightly cooler in DC today, but I had to admire the dedication to the look. Can't decide if they look like titans of another time, or the only ones brave enough to reject khaki/polo mediocrity. Certainly put my getup to shame.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    2 people like this.
  16. Caustic Man

There is a whole day in Washington D.C. when politicians (at least the southern ones, and probably some northern ones) wear seersucker. National Seersucker day, or something. I missed it this year because mine was at the tailor, or I would have worn it in solidarity.

17. smittycl

smittycl Senior member

I think it's the Friday before Memorial Day weekend. I really need to get one. I wouldn't say they are widespread but I've been seeing them a little more since the recent heatwave began. Very popular with lawyers for some reason. Going for the Atticus Finch look maybe? Ladies around here rock Seersucker dresses all summer long at least.

There's a J. Press store close by I need to check for one. I'm not very Trad during the week, mostly on weekends but think I can pull off Seersucker at least once a week.

18. Caustic Man

You mentioned women's seersucker. My wife is very northern even though she is from a border state (PA). The first time she got a seersucker dress, when were living in Kentucky, she couldn't understand why the wrinkles just wouldn't come out of the damn thing. I explained the nature of seersucker to her and she still didn't understand the attraction. Same reason she rarely wears linen, she doesn't get wrinkles. [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  19. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Admittedly, I am an attorney, so perhaps that is the impetus for my attraction to - and comfort in - seersucker. However, the law firm I work for represented a large manufacturer (now defunct) of seersucker suits. Much of the old guard wears seersucker every day in summer. A remnant of an earlier time, I guess. Nonetheless, my constant exposure to seersucker has certainly impacted my perception of it as proper suiting.

I think the biggest issue with seersucker suits - and southern trad in general - is how difficult it is to obtain quality trad garments. Most of the seersucker suits worn around these parts are of the ubiquitous Jos. A Bank variety. Some, Southwick or Samuelsohn, made for local retailers. The odd Haspel. Most are absolute crap. Quality is not up to snuff with some, and with others, the fit is atrocious.*

Further, seersucker - and most other summer trad fabrics, i.e., poplins - simply do not tailor very well. When I first visited Chris, I saw a pink seersucker suit commissioned by one of his Dallas clients. When I save up and dish out the big bucks for tailoring, I sure as hell ain't going to commission a cotton suit.

So for me, we are left in something of a no-mans land. Not sure exactly what point I am trying to get across.

Also, CM, funny what you said about your wife. My long-term lady-friend purchased a cotton-linen-elastane suit a while back for work, thinking it would be fun and summery. I came home one night to her manically attempting to press out the wrinkles with the iron. The next time she wore it, the fusing had come unglued, and the fabric was wrinkling everywhere - especially in the lapels.

She has never purchased anything cotton or linen again.

*I would be interested to see how Sid Mashburn's holds up: http://www.sidmashburn.com/shop/tai...-seersucker-virgil-no-2-flap-pocket-suit.html

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  20. Caustic Man

I have found Brooks Brothers seersucker suits to be more than acceptable. I've heard Haspel is good but I have no experience with them. Very curious about Sid Mashburn too, although for that price I'd probably rather go MTM.