MoneyWellSpent's Southern Trad Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Caustic Man, Jun 13, 2016.

1. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Slubby silk tie, blue stripe OCBD, and cream cotton jacket.

[​IMG]

2. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

I think I would have liked the tie better solid (not sure about those dark stripes) but I really like the royal blue type color with that shirt and jacket. It really goes with the Southern Trad ethos of non-standard, but not garish, use of color.

3. doomx

doomx Senior member

Featuring my new Collard Greens silk/cotton BT and a mid blue (hard to see in office light) SuSu jacket, part of suit.

[​IMG]

4. MoneyWellSpent

Thanks!

Yeah, the stripes are actually fairly bright in person, and even have a little sheen to them, as they are not the same slubby silk that the rest of the tie is.

They are sort of half way between a mossy green, and a true (kelly) green, and they pop out a little due to the fabric difference.

5. Caustic Man

I wish I could see the color better because I think green might look nice. I'd still wish it was the same texture as the rest of the tie, though.

6. MoneyWellSpent

This one is slightly better, but it is still just cropped and zoomed in from another day I wore it. I think the color is a little better here.

I fully agree that it would be better as a homogeneous fabric. That said, this tie has a funny story to it. It is probably the oldest tie in my closet. A family member with more adventurous taste gave it to me as a gift one year, long before I cared anything about style (that I was aware of). I had never seen a tie that looked more like a wash cloth due to the slubby silk, and I was pretty scared of it. The tie hung in my closet for about a decade, having been worn only once or twice during that time. One day, when I was beginning to care about style, and was learning about varying textures, I remembered this tie and finally learned where it fits in. I've enjoyed wearing it ever since, and of course now it is just one of many ties with slub, or some other texture besides the plain smooth silk of a business tie.

The other funny thing about this tie, is that during its decade or so of not being used, one of the only times I wore it was actually to a job interview! :cry:. I am very conservative in my business dress, so I have no idea what I was thinking. But, I actually did get offered the job, though I didn't take it.

Long story short, it isn't a perfect tie, but I have some sentiment for it and it works. :) Clothing with a story can be a lot of fun to have in rotation.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016

7. Caustic Man

Out of curiosity, may I ask what industry you work in? No specifics, of course, just wondering what the business environment is like.

8. MoneyWellSpent

I work in Clinical Research. The field is highly varied, depending upon your specific job function. I've had jobs where I was walking around a hospital wearing a white coat, and others where "business casual" is reaching. Right now, i'm on the regulatory side of it, so I can pretty much wear whatever I want, unless I have an important meeting.

9. Caustic Man

You know, it seems to me that across the board the people who dress the best on SF in general are not the ones who have a suit/tie requirement, but rather are generally free to do as they wish.

10. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Ha, I don't think I have a picture handy, but I can try to take one later this week. It's actually a great belt. Very well made, and the patina makes it difficult to date, but I'd say 1960s or early 1970s..

11. smittycl

smittycl Senior member

I would love to dress like @TweedyProf or @Claghorn every day but have to wear CBD for the most part. I find great inspiration on this forum and make great use of the looks confidently displayed here.

12. Caustic Man

Now I really want to see it.

Secretly, the reason I went into academics is so that I could wear whatever I want. [​IMG]

13. matty long legs

matty long legs Senior member

I'm in the same field and currently job hunting. PM coming.

14. Caustic Man

Topsiders arrived yesterday. I kind of wish I had gone with the white soles, but it's not a major regret.

[​IMG]

15. MoneyWellSpent

For what it's worth, I think you will find the tone on tone soles to be more versatile, if that matters.