Money Never Sleeps sartorial critique thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Recoil, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

LOL. I posted this thread 6 months ago with no responses, now we're at 4 pages.

2. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Here is a great article for how to obtain the look and feel for this sequel. This movie WILL change the way guys dress in suits. Watch for more details...

http://www.gilt.com/manual/2010/09/d...-gordon-gekko/

LOL.

3. Bull

Bull Senior member

LOL. I posted this thread 6 months ago with no responses, now we're at 4 pages.

Just keep in mind who revived it from the depths of the archives after stumbling on a few more great pics from the film. I will direct your attention to post #2 in the thread... [​IMG]

4. CMD.EXE

CMD.EXE Senior member

I shed a single tear when I found out for what roles offers were made and to which actors. When I heard Shia was to be in the movie I cried myself to sleep.

No Charlie Sheen (not a very good actor but it doesn't matter), and Shia?! Damn you Oliver and damn you Hollywood!

5. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I shed a single tear when I found out for what roles offers were made and to which actors. When I heard Shia was to be in the movie I cried myself to sleep.

No Charlie Sheen (not a very good actor but it doesn't matter), and Shia?! Damn you Oliver and damn you Hollywood!

The guy has no screen presence at all...

6. Dressed2the9s

Dressed2the9s Senior member

The guy has no screen presence at all...

Back to the satorial critique, I think its interesting the way Ellen Mirojnick uses collars to start to create the "man" look, then brings it towards the chest or shoulders to "man-up" the boy actor Shia from Transformers to a believable securities trader.

I think its cool that she purposely made Gekko look like a bum when he first gets out of prison and progresses to the old yet bold and predatory look (now updated) as he gains back his power.[​IMG]

7. mrbig

mrbig Senior member

It comes out this week here, in Aus, but I bet somewhere in the film, there's a contrast collar shirt worn with a Navy DB which looks downright god-like.

8. Bull

Bull Senior member

Agree, no Charlie Sheen = pure bullshit. #fail

9. GBer

GBer Senior member

i am so getting the gucci shoe.............. [​IMG] hope i can save enough money by then and wear it when i watch the movie
    [​IMG] Try B&S or the bay

10. RoyalPaJamas

RoyalPaJamas Senior member

[​IMG]

Try B&S or the bay

Saw some the other day at DSW (in Columbus, OH) for like $200.

11. Gordon Geeko

Gordon Geeko Member

If I had to do a primer for dressing for success on Wall Street, it would go as follows:

1 - Trader: golf shirt from an exclusive, upscale club - preferably Shinnecock: http://tinyurl.com/273qrve . Oversized, billowy dress pants - two pleats minimum. Gucci loafers. Croc belt if you're feeling snazzy. Rolex.

2 - Banking exec - upper eschelon: Oxxford suit, Gucci loafers.

3 - Banking - lower eschelon (veep): Savile Row bespoke and bespoke lace-ups, trying to impress bosses, not realizing that bosses think the look is "too slick." The smart veeps get the joke and go for Oxxford, which doesn't fit as well, but gets respect from the bosses.

4 - Hedge fund: ironic t-shirt, cargo shorts, Haviana flip flops, no shave in three weeks, but up 47 pct on the year, bosses are thrilled, and could give a fuck what the kid wears to work.

1 - Correct on balance but there are definitely a subset of traders who dress "well".

2 - Generally true, especially the loafers. Some variation in suits but the Gucci/Ferragamo loafers are almost a prereq. I think they give you several pairs once you make MD

3 - Rarely. Might have been true at some point but not anymore. Dealflow is still pretty moribund so veeps don't have much $ to burn on the Row

4 - Hedge funds run the full gamut, at least at the manager/sr analyst level. Also depends on context. When you're meeting with a management team or attending a conference its advantageous to suit up because its best not to advertise that you work for a long/short fund, (and overly causal dress is a dead giveaway). Of course if you work for SAC or Citadel they already know anyway. But there are definitely some firms that fit your description to a T

12. jamesbond

jamesbond Senior member

so he does a movie where he smokes cigars [​IMG]

You gotta go out in style my friend.

13. Dressed2the9s

Dressed2the9s Senior member

You gotta go out in style my friend.

One more day left before mn's business style changes once again!

14. LanceW

LanceW Senior member

Just purchased tickets for the 4:30 showing. There was a 1:45 but that might have been too early to leave work for, even on a Friday [​IMG]

15. Shoeby Doo

Shoeby Doo Senior member

Just got back from seeing this.

Not that great.

Gekko doesn't hit his sartorial stride till the very end.