• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Money clips: always tacky?

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For some reason I've been brought up to think that they're tacky. What does the groupthink say?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on the money clip.

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use one, and it's probably a little more showy than a wallet just because people aren't used to seeing them, but to be honest, very few people even notice mine.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A money clip draws attention to the fact that you're carrying around a big wad of money. Also, if you use cards or have a driver's license, you'll need a card case or wallet anyways.

I wouldn't get one because it would look awkward with $35 in it.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Money clip isn't tacky. Money clip is smart. Reduces pocket bulge.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a subject for a poll -that is purely to draw attention to the originator - merely personal choice.

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw
A money clip draws attention to the fact that you're carrying around a big wad of money. Also, if you use cards or have a driver's license, you'll need a card case or wallet anyways.

I wouldn't get one because it would look awkward with $35 in it.

I actually often have less than $10 in mine, because I wrap the money around 3 cards, and then have the money clip on that, so it stays together, while holding everything I need.

boo

Reaction score
I seriously use a small binder clip as a money clip. Very functional, and doesn't have the potential pretentiousness that a regular money clip might have. I have a Montblanc money clip, but it isn't the folding/clamping kind, and no longer clips tight enough when I'm low on cash.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by adrift
I like credit card holders that are a money clip at the same time. I think they're the most practical

Example

Yup - I use a similar one.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I use a simple silver clip and no one pays any attention to it and it is very useful as I use lots of cash in Thailand, and have little or need for a wallet.

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sam Hober
I use a simple silver clip and no one pays any attention to it

Me to. My wife bought me a simple tiffanys money clip for Xmas last year. I have a card wallet that Howard Yount sold last year for my cards. keeps bulges to a minimum.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnsNotHere
Me to. My wife bought me a simple tiffanys money clip for Xmas last year. I have a card wallet that Howard Yount sold last year for my cards. keeps bulges to a minimum.

Exactly - when I do use a wallet it is a slim card wallet with a couple of credit cards etc and thats about it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads