1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Moncler Sizing

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by haganah, Dec 23, 2007.

1. haganah

haganah Distinguished Member

I'm a 40S. Should I go with the size 2 or the 3 on a moncler? Both are mediums. It's a puffy jacket but I don't want it to be too baggy.

2. Gus

Gus Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

I found the Moncler to run nicely fitted and not baggy at all. I still had to go up one size from L to XL and I'm a 42.

3. haganah

I didn't want to create a new thread for this but maybe I should.

I want to buy a moncler jacket. I've figured out the size (3). I like a few different styles although I've only seen the just a few in person.

The thing that sucks is that most places only have shiny black left at this point. I was hoping for the navy. Anyway, I just wanted to tap into the collective and see what y'all thought of shiny black. Hot or not?

4. ephemeralcoherence

ephemeralcoherence Well-Known Member

My understanding is that the shiny fabric is a "classic" feature for this particular style of down jacket--I think I remember a pretty recent thread that discussed this. With my own Moncler, however, I chose to go with the "matte" black because I thought the shiny wouldn't dress up very well for those few times when I wear the parka with trousers (as opposed to the usual jeans/khakis). But obviously, that's just my opinion. I'd say the appropriate-ness of the shiny fabric really depends on your aesthetic preferences and/or where you'll be wearing the jacket.

5. haganah

My understanding is that the shiny fabric is a "classic" feature for this particular style of down jacket--I think I remember a pretty recent thread that discussed this. With my own Moncler, however, I chose to go with the "matte" black because I thought the shiny wouldn't dress up very well for those few times when I wear the parka with trousers (as opposed to the usual jeans/khakis). But obviously, that's just my opinion. I'd say the appropriate-ness of the shiny fabric really depends on your aesthetic preferences and/or where you'll be wearing the jacket.
    How about the fact that it's black over navy? I know this is a pure preference thing but I just can't make up my mind. In NY, the only times I ever see moncler jackets are on euro tourists and it's usually brighter colors.

6. ephemeralcoherence

ephemeralcoherence Well-Known Member

In NY, the only times I ever see moncler jackets are on euro tourists and it's usually brighter colors.
    Yea, for sure. I only see them on European or Japanese tourists. As for your color options, I'd say navy over black. Navy is just as wearable and easy to match as black is, at least for my wardrobe. I think black is just too common for down jackets of this sort.

7. Made in California

Made in California Senior Member

Which size jacket did you end up getting? I'm a 40 in leather jackets and a 40 in slim cut suits so I'm in the same situation as you: deciding between 2 or 3. My best-fitting jacket is 21" pit-to-pit and that would correspond to the size 2, but there's obviously some extra padding on there to account for. It seems like people are saying their sizing is snug and that I could go for a 3, but on a couple jackets (like "Himalaya"), the pit-to-pit is 23.5" which seems way too large.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015

8. TheTruth83

TheTruth83 Member

Out of curiosity, do Moncler jackets/coats ever go on sale? Offseason, black friday, etc?

9. Churchill W

Churchill W Distinguished Member

I picked mine up at Barneys on sale.