• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Momotaro

doctorman

Reaction score
UPDATE: have been wearing the 701's daily for a week (even slept in them twice). After the first day, I washed and dried them on hot to get a little extra shrink (waist shrank about 1"). After a week they've pretty much stretched back to where they were new and are a little softer.

Happy to report there are no quality issues with this pair and it has not started to fall apart. As frustrating as it was to deal with, I think the first pair they sent must have been a factory defect, compounded by them half-assing the repair which also failed. Based on this pair, I'd buy them again.

My one regret going forward is that this size 33 now fits like my regular worn-in levi's in size 31. i.e. comfortable from new and suitable for smart casual with belt and tucked in shirt. But that means it's about an inch bigger than ideal to wear sans belt with shirt untucked (how I wear jeans 99% of the time) and slides down. While the size 32 (what I wanted) was hip-bruisingly tight out of the bag, after 1 week it had almost stretched to a perfect beltless fit.

Since this is my first raw denim and a bit of an experiment, I'm considering submerging these in a lobster pot of boiling water for 10 min as part of the next wash. I've had success shrinking down cotton BJJ gi jackets in this manner.

i learned about correct sizing while purchasing a pair of momo at their flagship store in tokyo for my wife. they measured her and picked out a pair. the hips and thighs fit well but the waist was so tight that they had to use a large paperclip to bring the top button to the buttonhole to close. it was agonizing to watch but the salesperson insisted it's the right size. my wife had to carry that damn paperclip with her for the next week while traveling in japan so every time she used the bathroom she would be able to button her jeans. a week later, the jeans fit perfectly.

when i buy jeans now, i just make sure the thighs and hips fit well and i intentionally make sure the waist is really tight knowing it'll stretch even if it's uncomfortable for a few weeks. people tend end up getting their jeans too big after a few months of wear.

on the side note some of you may find this article entertaining/informative. i learned a lot and my respect for japanese denim just went up a notch (if that's even possible).

when an american company has good products, they expand, and scale up to maximize profits (think forever 21). when a japanese company has good products, they continue their pursuit of the dubious concept of perfection (think PBJ).

paulraphael

Reaction score
When i buy jeans now, i just make sure the thighs and hips fit well and i intentionally make sure the waist is really tight knowing it'll stretch even if it's uncomfortable for a few weeks. people tend end up getting their jeans too big after a few months of wear.

My exact experience. I find it odd that Denimio and Okayama Denim advise you err on the large size ... which would lead me to saggy-ass jeans that don't stay on without a belt.

With new Momos, I use a Sharpie or similar sized marker to stretch the button holes a bit. This makes it possible for me to get them on at all the first couple of days. They soften up pretty quickly after this.

broiler

Reaction score
i prefer an even higher rise, so the 666s don’t do it for me. i dont wear a belt so i prefer the waist to rest right at the hips so it has something to hang on to. some people like to taper the leg opening on the 888s for a more modern silhouette. i don’t personally do this but is see the appeal and a taper seems to be an easier job compared to other alterations.

i learned about correct sizing while purchasing a pair of momo at their flagship store in tokyo for my wife. they measured her and picked out a pair. the hips and thighs fit well but the waist was so tight that they had to use a large paperclip to bring the top button to the buttonhole to close. it was agonizing to watch but the salesperson insisted it's the right size. my wife had to carry that damn paperclip with her for the next week while traveling in japan so every time she used the bathroom she would be able to button her jeans. a week later, the jeans fit perfectly.

when i buy jeans now, i just make sure the thighs and hips fit well and i intentionally make sure the waist is really tight knowing it'll stretch even if it's uncomfortable for a few weeks. people tend end up getting their jeans too big after a few months of wear.

on the side note some of you may find this article entertaining/informative. i learned a lot and my respect for japanese denim just went up a notch (if that's even possible).

when an american company has good products, they expand, and scale up to maximize profits (think forever 21). when a japanese company has good products, they continue their pursuit of the dubious concept of perfection (think PBJ).
My exact experience. I find it odd that Denimio and Okayama Denim advise you err on the large size ... which would lead me to saggy-ass jeans that don't stay on without a belt.

With new Momos, I use a Sharpie or similar sized marker to stretch the button holes a bit. This makes it possible for me to get them on at all the first couple of days. They soften up pretty quickly after this.

All points well taken. From my 1 week of wear in the Momo 701 size 32, I was amazed how much the waist actually stretched - probably at least 2 inches total. It started out literally tight as ****. But the thighs stretched less. They started out like sausage casings and on the 2nd or 3rd day I did some light barbell squats and it felt like wearing a powerlifting suit - the pant legs were helping/forcing me to stand back up. After a week I had full range of motion (able to squat down all the way without pain) but the thighs probably would have always been tight.

I appreciate the extra thigh and ass room in the size 33 but the waist is bigger than ideal. For my next pair I def need to go with a higher rise with a tighter waist - if you're going beltless you're relying on the jean waist fabric to be as tight as a belt would be and to do that, it has to start out too tight for comfort.

Heh. That's what it comes down to - Putting in the time in to convince yourself (and your wife) that luxury item X is being chosen over luxury item Y. When I bought the AIBKs, I was itching for some more shell somethings but new shoes made zero sense in a pandemic lockdown where the stuff I owned hadn't been touched in months.

As opposed to the PBJs that have seen countless days of wear since October, and that will continue to be worn until the swelt moves in and makes jeans impossible. It made sense - for me.

I also bought into the history and heritage of Japanese Aizome hook line and sinker, which is what PBJ's multiple AI lines are all about.

Lol same here on the shells. There's nothing sadder than a shoe rack of primed and shined shell shoes with no place to wear them. I actually wore mine a few times but rocking shell captoe oxfords just to sit in a home office in sweatpants and then to do a grocery run made me feel like a gigantic asshat.

That aizome does look nice. Actually any of the make-ups with blue weft whether indigo or cobalt looks awesome. For my next pair, will probably look out for some kind of blue weft denim in slim straight or high rise tapered.

denimondenimondenim

Reaction score
My exact experience. I find it odd that Denimio and Okayama Denim advise you err on the large size

agreed, i actually target ~2 inches of stretch in the waist, which is a little more then the 1 inch rule of thumb. i do tend to lean toward looser weave denim though. my understanding is that momos are a tighter weave, so perhaps 2 inches may be excessive.

I was amazed how much the waist actually stretched - probably at least 2 inches total.

nice i saw your message pop up as i was typing mine

CMT1

Reaction score
I actually wore mine a few times but rocking shell captoe oxfords just to sit in a home office in sweatpants and then to do a grocery run

Honestly impressed that you went out in them. I've been indulging in some Haute Slobbe too but I have yet to leave the house. My personal magnum slobbis was sweats and austerity brogues, with a black velvet jacket added to really knock it into 12th gear.

mwveTVa.jpg

uvZFb27.jpg

Blam. Even now, looking at the above cracks me up.

I hope everyone has a great weekend.

broiler

Reaction score
Honestly impressed that you went out in them. I've been indulging in some Haute Slobbe too but I have yet to leave the house. My personal magnum slobbis was sweats and austerity brogues, with a black velvet jacket added to really knock it into 12th gear.

mwveTVa.jpg

uvZFb27.jpg

Very nice - is that the Carmina x Epaulet Greeley make-up in #8? In that lighting, almost looks like #4 shell. Even though they're technically balmorals, I think they'd look baller with your AIBK's.

Last edited:

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mwveTVa.jpg

uvZFb27.jpg

I'm generally not one for an austerity pattern, but your boots look.....very aesthetically pleasing. Simple, clean lines, not overly formal, and can be quite casual. Vass?

CMT1

Reaction score
Thanks H.E., Broiler nailed it! Those are the Carmina x Epaulet Greelys. :cool:

I hope you guys had a great weekend.

broiler

Reaction score
i’d recommend against boiling your denim as it may lead to permanent damage to the leather patch as well as the denim itself. i’ve seen some pics of people who did this and their patch turned into a shriveled ball sack. This can also damage the denim fibers.

Thanks man. Yeah boiling them would be a last resort if they stretch any more over the next month or so.

I am a shriveled ball sack. Ignoring prudent advice, I boiled the top of my Momos. My OCD kicked in and I couldn't stand having paid 6x for jeans that fit the same (or worse) than my mall Levi's. Knowing the risks, I held the waistband to the top of the back pockets in a pot of boiling water for 10 minutes hoping to get more shrink out of it, then threw them in the dryer on hot for an hour.

The waistband is smaller by <1" total. The leather patch shrunk somewhat uniformly by about 0.5" in both height and width like a shrinky dink and initially had a hard plasticky feel, which caused the fabric behind it to bunch up. I've applied 2 coats of leather honey and it's softened to the point of being able to flex.

All considered, it could be worse and the fit is marginally better. I just need to accept these will never fit perfectly and just wear the damn things until they soften up and get more comfortable.

1619443686061.png

Last edited:

broiler

Reaction score
I am a shriveled ball sack. Ignoring prudent advice, I boiled the top of my Momos. My OCD kicked in and I couldn't stand having paid 6x for jeans that fit the same (or worse) than my mall Levi's. Knowing the risks, I held the waistband to the top of the back pockets in a pot of boiling water for 10 minutes hoping to get more shrink out of it, then threw them in the dryer on hot for an hour.

The waistband is smaller by <1" total. The leather patch shrunk somewhat uniformly by about 0.5" in both height and width like a shrinky dink and initially had a hard plasticky feel, which caused the fabric behind it to bunch up. I've applied 2 coats of leather honey and it's softened to the point of being able to flex.

All considered, it could be worse and the fit is marginally better. I just need to accept these will never fit perfectly and just wear the damn things until they soften up and get more comfortable.

View attachment 1599972

Quick update. Washed and machine dried them after wearing these 701's all day, every day for exactly 2 months, then wore for 2 days to stretch back out. Despite making the leather patch look bad, boiling the waistband portion appears to have caused it to shrink more in the dryer, creating the fit I was going for.

These are size 33 and waist started from new (one wash) at 32.5". This stretched out to about 34.5" with wear, but after boiling the waistband and machine drying (32" out of the dryer), waist seems to have stabilized around 33.5" (after stretching back out) which is a good snug fit without belt.

I will echo others' recommendation that from new, waistband should be as tight as possible but thighs should be comfortable and will stretch much less. I'm happy with the fit now and I think this is as good as it gets without tailoring. Some initial fading is evident although as expected, these fade very slowly.

1624028165270.png

1624028181329.png

1624028211486.png

Last edited:

CMT1

Reaction score
^ Dig both the BOM-00Xs asnd E30 avatar, fellow owner of both here.

Another collab for something different to bump the thread:

thtVptN.jpg

HBZaI2t.jpg

Dwni5me.jpg

4MrgNE4.jpg

x2hrAGw.jpg

CsHQVs2.jpg

2eolJEj.jpg

nZco5Ya.jpg

Momotaro x Oris Divers 65, the strap is showing some serious color character after a year of wear.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend, as always!

Gonzo9

Reaction score
That watch was on my radar when it was announced. The fade is looking great! Wasn’t quite sure of a denim band, but I’m convinced.

The jeans are fire! Looks like Pure Blue Japan in natural indigo.

CMT1

Reaction score
Thanks, and good eye! They are PBJ's AIBK-013 from last year.

Gonzo9

Reaction score
BTW The E30 is long gone. Probably should change the avitar. Had a few over the years . Miss the ’88 M3 I sold. One of the dumber things I’ve done.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics