Momotaro

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Jbreen1, Aug 7, 2009.

1. wangerism

wangerism New Member

I have decided to write my experience on getting my first momotaro jeans. I first came across momotaro jeans when I was in melbourne australia pursuing my degree, that was in '04. I was at this shop called dakota at chapel street, which sells all kinds of street label clothing. And I saw this beautiful indigo dyed colored jeans like no other, my first touch of the jeans feels so stiff like cardboard paper. Nontheless, the sales assistant explained to me it was raw and handmade from Japan. Curious on how it looks on me, I tried it on, but didnt know what model it was then. It was so rigid and uncomfortable! And the cut doesnt sit well on me at all! I looked at the price tag and "WOW" It was aud$500+!!! Crazzyyy, will never be able to afford since im only a student then.

Years past and have bought a few evisu's, apc and nudies jeans later, I remembered vividly my first experience with momotaro, especially its peach logo at the back, but I just cant find it anywhere. I lived in Singapore and there isnt any dealers bringing in momotaros. All i see on the street are nudies and gstar, but i don't see any momotaro, so i decided to search for it. Which brings me to here, after reading tons of comments, I've decided to get it from blue owl since it is offering free shipping. I've ordered a Momotaro Grand Indigo 15oz Tight Straight Raw Selvadge Denim - Model ER007-2B Size 33. I hope it fits me well, because many have issues with their fittings. If it fits well, my next one will be copper label G017-MB. Hopefully I can finally retire my Paper denim jeans of 10yrs!

I ordered it on 14/5/12 Monday. Lets see how long it takes from the States to Singapore. Will post pix when it arrives.

p/s: Can someone tell me whats the difference between a copper label and a vintage label? Thanks in advance!

2. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

is the grand indigo darker or lighter then the deep indigo?

Found my answer here if anyone is interested.

TLDR;

Deep indigo is a "darker midnight blue" and the grand indigo is a "deep sea blue".

Deep indigo is darker.

Last edited: May 15, 2012

3. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

Every time I see one of your posts I get the instant urge to start typing in spanish, I do not appreciate your screen name lol

From what I remember we are the same size in NF and have very similar dimensions, you wear a 33 in NF WG right? So I assume that you wear a 34 in Momo, due to thigh size.

4. wangerism

wangerism New Member

deep indigo is the darkest. it has a slight tinch of grey/black look.

5. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

yay someone is awake! lol

So what is the deal with waxed denim?

Do you know what color would best describes A.P.C.'s Fall petite standard denim, it was a deep indigo but had a "shine" to it. It is not like any pair of NF denim that I have bought and I have bought every pair that is on the NM website and still not found the color I want. It was not super dark either. I hope my description is accurate enough so that someone can help.

6. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Haha - lo que quieras tú :)

I went with the 33 in the Sulphur Black WG and have enjoyed them quite a bit through the winter, although now with the heat they're up in the closet.

Story: I bought a pair of 34-tagged 705SPs off the B/S from Teger in February '11, and completely fell in love with them. Went down to Uruguay for 4 months over that summer and came back and they were too tight in the thigh (maldito asado...) so I moved them on via the forums. When the 702 came out, developed an e-obsession and purchased a pair tagged-36 from Jay. He shipped me the "smallest" 36 they had - waist only measures barely 35 inches, but has the extra allowance in the thigh. So, I'm anticipating that with a belt they'll be fine (waist is still more fitted than my WGs...)

Sort of in between. Tagged-34 201 fits great.

7. Mistral

Mistral Senior member

Vintage Label is unsanforized, meaning it shrinks with washing or soaking. Estimated numbers are in the lines of: 1" shrinkage in the waist, 2" shrinkage in the inseam. The waist could be stretched back with prolonged wear, but I must say Momotaro denim isn''t very forgiving.

Other than the fact these are shrink to fit, they also differ in weight, detailing and indigo color. The Vintage label series is made of 15.7 oz denim, dyed in the trademarked Rampuya blue. It has blank backpockets and features the white tab with a peach on it on the right backpocket.

Copper Label also doesn''t sport the white tab, while the ER (Europe Label) models do, they both have the peach arcuate on the right backpocket. Denim is made from 14.7 oz denim, which is made from the same cotton Momotaro uses in their dress shirts. Copper Label comes in one wash state, meaning the jeans get soaked/washed in the Seto Sea, which is said to add valuable minerals to the denim itself. Details that set Copper Label apart from Vintage Label besides the ones mentioned before are: Indigo dyed waistband and pocketbags, copper colored hardware. Riveted patch on the mens jeans. Women models just feature the thick leather patch with Peach Boy on it.

That should cover it, I guess.

8. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

socio vives en argentina? No creo que nuestros comaradas van a apreciar que estemos hablando en otro lenguage! jaja

Well I ordered a pair of 702s in a tagged size 34, from what the measurements on blueowl show they should be a bit looser in the leg region than my WG but I can live with that. Other than that I am expecting them to fit. I hope so at least. lol

9. Mistral

Mistral Senior member

I have allready explained this in full, just about three posts above. Read ;)

@ CalTex:

I wear a size 28 in the 0701 (which I intended to wear unsoaked for at least a year). I also have the 0702, but I found these run a tad smaller. A 28 was impossible to button for me, I sized up one from Vintage Label and the 29's fit perfect.
    Thought I'd let you know that, might be that they are really tight. Beware of the fabric also. It's very dense and thick, this is also due to the starch that gives you the idea you're trying on jeans made of stone.

10. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

Mistral,

I am currently wearing a tagged 33 NF WG Deep Indigo, these are the measurements from blueowl

* Size 33 (35" waist, 10.5" rise, 12.25" thigh, 8.8" knee, 35.5" inseam, 7.75" leg opening)

Ordered the Momo Deep Indigo 702

* Size 34 (35" waist, 10.5" rise, 12" thigh, 9" knee, 34.5" inseam, 8.25" leg opening)

Unless my intuition is off, they should work right?

Momo v. NF

Waist = same
    Rise = same
    Thigh = .25 inches smaller (Momo)
    Knee = .2 inches larger (Momo)
    Inseam = doesnt matter
    leg opening = .5 inches larger (momo)

I am expecting the momo's to be a bit less fitted from the knee down but that should not be significantly noticeable right?

I would have liked a 34.5 waist but I cant go down a size because then my package hurts. :embar: lol (seriously though, it does hurt in a NF WG size 32)

11. Mistral

Mistral Senior member

Well,

0701: Size 28 (29" waist, 9.75" rise, 10.25" thigh, 8" knee, 39" inseam, 7.25" leg opening)

0702: Size 28 (29" waist, 9.5" rise, 10.5" thigh, 7.8" knee, 34.5" inseam, 7.2" leg opening)

Measurements would have been the same, but it didn't work out for me. Measurements on the 0702 were smaller than listed on the site. Might be I got a smaller pair because of inconsistencies in the making proces... Anyway, everything went well after the exchange. Jay is superb to deal with, he even sent out a new pair before I shipped the faulty one back.

Might be that in your case everything is fine, but Jay mentioned they sometimes really pull the waistband tight when alligning it for measurement. In my case it was a no go, couldn't even allign the fly to button it up.

12. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

^you should be fine @W34 on the 702s.

that's sooo true. i'm W33 on 701s. i tried W33 702s @BiG & i couldn't button them all the way up. however, i found a practically brand new pair of 702 33s that had stretched out enough for me to get in, so i took the plunge.

i figure, since 702s are fully sanforized they'd be about the same measurement as the partially sanforized W33 701s down the line. truthfully, they are a bit stiff & tigh on the top block right now, but we'll see in a few mos & a couple of washes after :)

13. wangerism

wangerism New Member

Thanks Mistral! Very informative. So I guess vintage label has a thicker denim than copper? Hence copper suits more for summer? Quite worried on the thickness of the jeans because Singapore is a tropical place all year round 30 degree/86F. Need a lighter/thinner denim to be able to wear it everyday.

14. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Vivía allá. Ahora moro en EEUU. Do post pics when you finally soak and all -

15. eight90

eight90 New Member

Currently wearing the Copper G017-MB in Singapore. They're are fine unless you do a lot of physical activity in them, which will have the same effect on all types of jeans in this weather.

Oh, Jay of Blue Owl has some of the best service around. I initially bought 3sixteens from him and because of the service, recommended a friend who also bought a pair and I got the Momo Copper. Am now thinking of a Japan Blue. Jay will measure what he has in stock (for example, largest sz 36 or smallest sz 36) to find what you need.

Shipping takes about 2 - 3 weeks.