Momotaro

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Jbreen1, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Mistral

Mistral Senior member

Did I ever mention that you are, hands down, the most fantastic guy to deal with, when it comes to purchasing denim?

If I had spare time I would drag customers to your store... Seriously.

2. Ketawa

Ketawa Senior member

Just curious, what do you think is wrong in the area around the button fly/top block? I'm still learning here so any advice is appreciated.

3. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

There's a big crease running parallel down the side of the fly in the first pic, and in the profile shots, it kind of awkwardly cups around your butt with extra fabric underneath.

From behind, there appears to be a lot of pulling in towards underneath the crotch.

For me anyways.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  4. Ketawa

Ketawa Senior member

Ok thanks, that first crease isn't actually there, but I agree there is some extra fabric on the back. The pulling also isn't as bad as in the photo, but it's still there. Not too worried about it though since the groups I hang around with hardly care what they wear. Something I'll keep in mind for the future.

5. Ketawa

Ketawa Senior member

Couldn't resist seeing if I could improve these 201s, so I threw them in the wash then the drier on high to shrink them some more. Voila. Still not perfect, but much improved. Seems like the jeans survived alright too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ysb

ysb Senior member

looks fine to me. how much did they shrink? I'm no momotaro expert but in general jeans will stretch back to their o/w state. Drying seems to be a temporary fix, if any. if you were looking for a slimmer fit then you should look at their other cuts. what's your idea of "perfect" fit? they seem to be fitting you now in the leg.

7. Ketawa

Ketawa Senior member

It was more the top block where I thought I could improve. The waist shrunk 2" and thigh .25". I'm pretty happy with where they are now. I'd always heard Momotaro didn't stretch much at all, but it seems like they did a lot in my first ~2 weeks of wear. I'm just hoping that the machine drying will make some of the shrinkage more permanent, since they're unsanforized and I hang dried during the initial hot soak.

8. TheloniusDrunk

TheloniusDrunk Senior member

Do the 701's stretch much?

9. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

@Ketawa_ don't know what your fit preference is, but imo they were sized "to keep". 'hate spending premium time on pair that won't fit down the line when they're close to grail.

as for shrinkage, the only part that's really got "give" is the waist. it will stretch pass raw measurement if needed_ otherwise it'll stay as is, if no pressure is applied.

10. tropics

tropics Senior member

can you expand a bit on that? you are sizing TTS or "large"-ish to avoid them being too small down the line?

Ketawa, 701s look good.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  11. El Argentino

Yes - post dryer looks much more streamlined.

12. TheloniusDrunk

But if I hot wash it and it shrink, it will stretch back to pre shrunk levels? Especially in the thighs?

13. El Argentino

It's variable. In my experience, no. Post soak/dry, only the waistband is prone to stretching back out.

This is why people may employ the tub method, of wearing the denim into a bath so as to use their body as the limit of shrinkage. Then it can never get "too small"

14. TheloniusDrunk

But the bathtub method has potential for making it skintight, does't it?

15. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

"TTS " is not an absolute/standard measure, but rather a benchmark. it's just a way to gauge or estimate how one should size on a certain brand or model &/or lot# [for models that have multiple prod'n runs, ie, Samurai 710xx/500xx/5000vx , etc.].

there are several factors to consider, if you srsly wan to get into it, like:
    1) the cut configuration/proportion [ie, full repro, slim straight, etc.]
    2) individual built or body type, in reference to the cut
    3) brand/make [raw] tag sizing standard. ie, shrink-to-tagged or shrink-from-tagged
    3) jeans are hand-made [from cutting to sewing to finishing] & sometimes measurement varies between production runs__ w/c consequently affect sizing.

but, basically [putting into consideration my body type], my rule of thumb in RAW sizing_ simplified:
    _on sanforized,= the tightest size i can get into & button up
    _on non-sanforized= able to get them on & button up w/o difficulty

waistband, yea. thighs, hell no.
    i don't think any self-respecting denimhead would even consider the "bathtub method". that's just ridiculous & unnecessary. i say, size them properly & keep your dignity..

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012