Momotaro

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Jbreen1, Aug 7, 2009.

1. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Actually have been planning on this as my next pair - although the grand indigos Jay posted above are mighty intriguing.

2. Boognish

Boognish Well-Known Member

Funny you said that...when I was doing my research on which jeans I wanted, I was seriously contemplating your PBJs. Just thought they may have been too slim up top.

3. El Argentino

What size did you get in the 201s and what has it shrunken to measurements-wise? I'm almost done w/ my bulking routine and am about reaching the limit even on my 009s :feelsgoodman:

Those 007s are AMAZING denim, but very slim. I love momotaros for entirely different reasons (having purchased and sold a 705 before).

I think if someone could combine the construction of a Momo w/ the denim of a PBJ you may very well have the greatest jean ever.

4. Boognish

Boognish Well-Known Member

Went with a 34. Post hot soak, waist is 35, thighs are 13.25, knee is 9, hem is 8.75, front rise is 11 1/8, back rise is 15.25, and inseam is 37.75. Blueowl's measurements were spot on.

I'll pm you after I do a second hot soak. I'm not confident that I got all the shrinkage out. I want to be sure before I hem them.:foo:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012

5. Mistral

Mistral Senior member

El Argentino, the Grand Indigo's are an entirely different cut than the 0201. If you think the Grand Indigo's are awesome, I suggest contacting Jay and ask him if he's going to stock the 0202. It's a 0201, but then with black weft, indigo warp (same as Grand Indigo).

I, by the way, have posted some fitpics of the 0201 I was wearing for a long time. They haven't been retired yet, but as of now I'm breaking in a pair of 0701's.

Might cop a pair of 0702's too, very soon.

Would be my fourth pair of Momotaro jeans. But I can't help but loving this brand.

6. rxanderq

rxanderq Member

Hi

I'm new to this hobby and I am considering purchasing a pair of Momotaro 705SP.
    Can anyone comment on my choice of model? What is the different between 705SP, 805SP, and 905SP?

I will have to order the pair of jeans online and because I cannot try them on first, I would appreciate any sizing advice I can get.
    My waist size is about 32, however, when I buy jeans with no intention of stretching them up, I usually buy a 33 or 34, since they seem to fit comfortably when I try them on.
    I expect I will stretch this new pair out, so should I size down to a 31 or get a 32?

Thanks

7. El Argentino

Usually it's not a good idea to size down on Momotaros. The denim doesn't stretch much, if anything. A 32 for slim, or a 33 for a slightly more relaxed (yet-still-trim) fit.

8. TATE and YOKO

TATE and YOKO Senior member

0705SP is what Momotaro calls a "tight straight" and is the slimmest of the three. 0805SP is a slim straight, and the 0905SP is a classic straight leg.

It's recommended to buy your normal size with most Japanese denim (although there are some exceptions).. you'll be fine with a size 32 :)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012

9. rxanderq

rxanderq Member

Thank you your the input El Argentino and Tate and Yoko. I take your advice and purchase a pair true to size. I understand the 705SP has alreadybeen washed once, when I receive them will I need to soak and starch them or should I just being wearing them?

Quote: I do own a pair of Evisu #3 in a size 32. I've barely worn the jeans and they are bit big for me. Would Evisu be one of the exceptions?

10. Mistral

Mistral Senior member

Yeah, I just bit the bullet on a pair of the new 0702's. Somewhat like Grand Indigo but with the Vintage Label details and some difference in denim/dye.

11. pistolero

pistolero Senior member

Just saw these up on Blue Owl...they look super cool. Based on the measurements, it appears to be a different cut than the "tight straight" 0705SP...a bit more tapered maybe? Only bummer is they seem to have the pink inseam stitching, which I'm not crazy about.

12. Dave_SFU

Dave_SFU Senior member

Pink inseams are a trademark of Momotaros. Its one of the things that makes them what they are.

13. Jay-D

Jay-D Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Momotaro: Deep Indigo 0702 [​IMG] Introducing the Momotaro 0702 Deep Indigo denim. The concept of the Deep Indigo 0702 is very similar to the Grand Indigo ER007-2B which has an indigo warp and sulphur dyed weft. What makes them different is the indigo used. The 0702 uses the darkest possible indigo available, which is actually the same indigo used on the 0705sp Going to Battle series denim. This indigo is a pure natural indigo which combined with the sulphur dyed weft will create similar wicked electric blue fades as the Grand Indigo ER007-2B. Momotaro Deep Indigo 15oz "Tight Straight" Raw Selvedge Denim - Model 0702 * Momotaro's "tight straight" denim fit is slim in the top block, has a low rise, runs slim in the leg, and tapers slightly torwards the leg opening. * 15oz sanforized raw denim, expect minimal shrinkage * Super dark natural indigo warp, sulphur dyed weft * Deer skin patch * Pink selvedge, pink interior thread - both representing the peach from the "Momotaro" folklore story. * Zimbabwe cotton * Cotton canvas pocket bags * Antique copper rivets * 100% natural cotton thread * Available in sizes 28-34, 36 * Made in Japan [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]
    Link: http://www.blueowl.us/scripts/psp/VB...il&SKU=7960000 More details cane be seen on our latest blog post: http://blueowlworkshop.blogspot.com/2012/01/momotaro-deep-indigo-15oz-tight.html.

14. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

Jay, these look really good, I like that the denim is even darker than the Grand Indigos to start with, and adding the pink selvage id and pink inseam stitching is a really nice touch that I wanted to see on the Grand Indigos before. I may be remembering this wrong, but I seem to recall you saying that the Grand Indigo denim is 85% sanforized. Is that the case for this new Deep Indigo denim as well, or is the new denim completely sanforized?

15. beautiful_FrEaK

beautiful_FrEaK Senior member

and another question: is there really natural indigo used or got something lost in translation?