Momotaro

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Jbreen1, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Mistral

Mistral Senior member

I'm a 34 in Levis 501's but sized up to 36 in the Momotaro 705's. This was due to the upper thigh of the 705's being too tight. The rest of the jean fit well in the 34. The 705's are as Jay-D noted a tight straight fit where as the 201's appear to be give you more room in the thigh. I would probably go TTS in the 201's. I'm an average build not skinny/slim.

Keep in mind that while the silhouette of these two are different, the 705 also is one-wash (sanforized in case of 0705BiG - Whatever123 didn't get any shrinkage after soaks) in comparison to the 201, who they claim is semi/half/partially sanforized, but will shrink like any other STF jean.

2. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

Keep in mind that while the silhouette of these two are different, the 705 also is one-wash (sanforized in case of 0705BiG - Whatever123 didn't get any shrinkage after soaks) in comparison to the 201, who they claim is semi/half/partially sanforized, but will shrink like any other STF jean.

Actually, Gordon mentioned to me a little while back that the 201s aren't sanforized at all. He said that he had previously thought they were partially sanforized, but he found out from Momotaro that they are completely unsanforized. That is why they shrink like any other STF jean.

3. Mistral

Mistral Senior member

Actually, Gordon mentioned to me a little while back that the 201s aren't sanforized at all. He said that he had previously thought they were partially sanforized, but he found out from Momotaro that they are completely unsanforized. That is why they shrink like any other STF jean.

Probably Momotaro has stated it themselves, the Vintage Label being partially sanforized. If I'm not mistaken it's even mentioned on the leaflet that is attached to the backpocket, though I'm not sure...

But it would make sense that the Momo's (Vintage Label) aren't sanforized at all, since they all shrink a lot.

4. Jay-D

Jay-D Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Probably Momotaro has stated it themselves, the Vintage Label being partially sanforized. If I'm not mistaken it's even mentioned on the leaflet that is attached to the backpocket, though I'm not sure...

But it would make sense that the Momo's (Vintage Label) aren't sanforized at all, since they all shrink a lot.

This is correct. The men's Vintage Label (0701, 0201, 0901) use the same 15.7oz 100% unsanforized fabric.

I would not be surprised that there was a genereic leaflet mentioning sanforized which was used on all denim. Could have been a lost in translation thing. Current leaflet does not mention it.

5. whatever123

whatever123 Senior member

yup, 0 shrinkage.

6. Jay-D

Introducing Japan Blue x Momotaro:

Japan Blue is a new concept by fabric maker Collect, Co, LTD. Collect is the same fabric manufacture behind Momotaro denim and has a deep routed tradition of denim making in Kojima, Okayama. For its debut season outside of Japan, Japan Blue teamed with Momotaro to make several collaborative works.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Japan Blue x Momotaro 14.8oz Tight Straight Vintage Raw Selvedge Denim - Model JB0701 - $200
    - Japan Blue's "tight straight" denim fit is slim in the top block, has a medium rise, runs slim in the leg, and tapers slightly torwards the leg opening. This is the same "tight straight" fit used in the Momotaro line.
    - 14.8oz sanforized raw selvedge denim fabric
    - Rope dyed indigo
    - Japan Blue custom engraved antique gold finish buttons
    - Button fly
    - Antique gold rivets
    - Japan Blue logo stamp on interior pocket bag
    - Hidden coin pocket selvedge
    - White leather patch
    - Red & white selvedge
    - Blue interior inseam thread
    - 100% cotton
    - Available in sizes 29-34, 36
    - Made in Japan
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Link: http://www.blueowl.us/scripts/psp/VB...il&SKU=7992002

Japan Blue x Momotaro 14.8oz Skinny Straight Vintage Raw Selvedge Denim - Model JB0101 - $200
    - Japan Blue's "skinny straight" denim fit is slim in the top block, has a low rise, runs slim in the leg, and tapers from the thigh to the leg opening. This is the slimmest fit offered by either Japan Blue or Momotaro.
    - Rope dyed indigo
    - Japan Blue custom engraved antique gold finish buttons
    - Button fly
    - Antique gold rivets
    - Japan Blue logo stamp on interior pocket bag
    - White leather patch
    - Red & white selvedge
    - Blue interior inseam thread
    - 100% cotton
    - Made in Japan
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Link: http://www.blueowl.us/scripts/psp/VB...il&SKU=7992003

For details can be seen on our recent blog posts at http://blueowlworkshop.blogspot.com/...by-fabric.html.

7. Jay-D

Introducing Japan Blue x Momotaro: "Going to Battle" Denim Series

The Japan Blue x Momotaro "Going to Battle" denim series features many of the same design features used on the "Going to Battle" Momotaro line, including the 2 white "warrior" stripes on the back right pocket. The "Going to Battle" stripes are a symbol of Japanese tradition representing honor and strength. Theses warrior stripes have been used in many contexts in Japanese history and culture. One of the most well known associations is from the Japanese folklore story of "Momotaro" who carried a flag with two white stripes as he left to battle a band of marauding Oni (ogres) on a distant island who terrorized the region.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Japan Blue x Momotaro "Going to Battle" 14.8oz Tight Straight Vintage Raw Selvedge Denim - Model 0700SP - $200
    - Japan Blue's "tight straight" denim fit is slim in the top block, has a medium rise, runs slim in the leg, and tapers slightly torwards the leg opening. This is the same "tight straight" fit used in the Momotaro line.
    - Rope dyed indigo
    - Momotaro custom engraved brushed nickle finish buttons
    - Button fly
    - Momotaro copper rivets
    - Cowhide leather patch
    - Red & white selvedge
    - Pink interior inseam thread
    - 100% cotton
    - Made in Japan
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Link: http://www.blueowl.us/scripts/psp/VB...il&SKU=7992000

Japan Blue x Momotaro "Going to Battle" 14.8oz Skinny Straight Vintage Raw Selvedge Denim - Model 0100SP - $200
    - Japan Blue's "skinny straight" denim fit is slim in the top block, has a low rise, runs slim in the leg, and tapers from the thigh to the leg opening. This is currently the slimmest fit offered by either Japan Blue or Momotaro.
    - Rope dyed indigo
    - Momotaro custom engraved brushed nickle finish buttons
    - Button fly
    - Momotaro copper rivets
    - Cowhide leather patch
    - Red & white selvedge
    - Pink interior inseam thread
    - 100% cotton
    - Made in Japan
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Link: http://www.blueowl.us/scripts/psp/VB...il&SKU=7992001

For details can be seen on our recent blog posts at http://blueowlworkshop.blogspot.com/...to-battle.html.

8. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

What is the difference between these and the momotaro versions except for the denim ? is the construction etc exactly the same ? Do these have the back pocket rivets ?

9. whatever123

What is the difference between these and the momotaro versions except for the denim ? is the construction etc exactly the same ? Do these have the back pocket rivets ?
    what do you mean when you say the "difference ... these and the momotaro versions?" you do know the gtb's are made by momo, right?

10. y7bbb6

y7bbb6 Well-Known Member

what do you mean when you say the "difference ... these and the momotaro versions?" you do know the gtb's are made by momo, right?

there are now 2 going to battles. one directly from momo, and one japan blue x momo

11. whatever123

there are now 2 going to battles. one directly from momo, and one japan blue x momo
    ah, yeah ... i see. http://www.japanblue.co.jp/momotaro/

12. Mistral

Mistral Senior member

For what I can see for now, the stitching on the jeans is in different colours. The Momo ones have dual colors on the backpockets, while the Japan Blue ones don't (all brown, instead of brown and yellow).

Also the white Momotaro tab is missing from the backpocket and the patch is another colour. That's what I can see from the photo's.

13. Jay-D

Good observations!

Differences between Momotaro line and Japan Blue collab:
    - fabric completely different (different weight, different weave, sanforized vs. unsanforized)
    - Momotaro line is 100% Zimbabwe cotton
    - subtle design difference like the Momotaro line may use deer skin patch vs. cowhide patch, back pocket rivets vs. none, etc.
    - different design team

Similarities:
    - made in Kojima, Japan
    - same factory, same mill
    - many similar design features
    - same fit on the tight straight version

Basically Japan Blue x Momotaro denim is made to be sold outside of Japan and priced very well to compete with the APC, Nudie, N&F price points. It is a toned down version of the Momotaro line. I personally feel that the price point is incredible for what you get in this denim. Also, for those who love Momotaro but wanted a slimmer fit, the skinny straight is a really nice cut and very similar to the Naked & Famous skinny guy fit.

14. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

For what I can see for now, the stitching on the jeans is in different colours. The Momo ones have dual colors on the backpockets, while the Japan Blue ones don't (all brown, instead of brown and yellow).

Also the white Momotaro tab is missing from the backpocket and the patch is another colour. That's what I can see from the photo's.

From the way the back pockets are bartacked on to the seat, it looks like the Japan Blues also don't have the hidden back pocket rivets from the main line. I've never handled these, though, so I don't know for sure.

15. Jay-D