• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Momotaro

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ What are you wearing now?

Also, when I soaked the Sammies the water was like pitch black. It died my fingers just sticking them in the water.

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jbreen1
Also, when I soaked the Sammies the water was like pitch black. It died my fingers just sticking them in the water.

no worries bout the bleeding, there's gonna be plenty left.

are you asking what's on my main rotation?
FC 1108C [xBiG collab]
SDA 101
PBJ 007
Samurai Yamato s001j

parttime [hard to fade, anyways]:
s5000ai-10sp
SC 40400N

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's quite a rotation. What's your favorite pair?

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
as you can see, they're of different cuts/fits. don't really have 1 singular fave__ eg, like the texture on the ais and 007s :: FC for a nice slim fit :: s001j for details and curiousity [diff denim] :: SDAs and SCs for freedom & comfort.

tho' i love to whip out my older broken in jeans cuz they're friggin' badass and soft and comfy.

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
love the denim of my s002jp

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IIIrd Icon
no worries bout the bleeding, there's gonna be plenty left.

are you asking what's on my main rotation?
FC 1108C [xBiG collab]
SDA 101
PBJ 007
Samurai Yamato s001j

parttime [hard to fade, anyways]:
s5000ai-10sp
SC 40400N

SDA 101 i saw those once on a friend, they are pretty robust and sweet.

i love my PBJ 007. my favorite jean.

s5000ai is KILLER

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doctor
^^ Maybe leave them as they are now, and if they end up stretching, give them a soak then. Probably the best bet. My guess is they will stretch just a tiny bit and soaking may not be a problem.

Either way, I don't see it as a big deal.

Doc,
I'm about to pull the trigger on a pair of the 0701 as you have (at Blue in Green). Am undecided between buying a tagged 30 (31 measured, which is comfortable on me) and a 29 (30 measured, which will be snug but buttonable when new).

How much stretch should I expect in the first month or two? Would you say they stretch by one size or more? Did you notice that the thigh/knee areas stretched more than the waist?

I understand the fact that there will be shrinkage...
Any help would be appreciated - am placing the order on Sunday. Many thanks in advance.

Doctor

Reaction score
Mine were barely buttonable when new (nearly broke a finger doing them up), and they remained nice and tight without being gut-crunching. The stretching was minimal and mostly in the waist and seat. I still have no need at all to wear a belt. I recently cold soaked them (no soak initially) and they shrank a little around the waist... (basically reversed whatever little stretching had already occured). Since then they have barely stretched, if at all. They're just much softer and more comfortable to wear.

Really, as far as stretching goes, it is very minimal. They will stretch back out to their pre-soak size after a while, but beyond that, little to no stretching will occur. The thighs pretty much don't stretch unless they're really tight on you.

If you got the 29, you'd have to wait a while before soaking them. They're really stiff if you do that. A soak does wonders for the softness.

If you WANT a snug/slim fit long term (as I did), get the 29. If you prefer a more comfortable/average fit, then don't. They won't stretch out much.

It all sounds pretty ambiguous I know - in short, they barely stretch. Most stretching occurs in the waist. Make sure the thighs fit as they won't stretch.

Edit: Should mention I have worn these 7 days per week for nearly 2 months now. Just sloshed them around in a cold bath tonight for ~10min because they got filthy today. Worried that they might shrink again!

Doctor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jbreen1

Interesting. Nothing came out of the Momo's at all in the tub except for heaps of yellow starch for me (yea, I ended up soaking them). iwhelan seems to have had the same experience.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea Momo's are definitely top quality. I'm thinking about getting the 34's again but I'm also considering some Iron Heart's because the 21oz denim is sick and will be good once it starts getting cold in upstate NY.

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlyngard
Doc,
I'm about to pull the trigger on a pair of the 0701 as you have (at Blue in Green). Am undecided between buying a tagged 30 (31 measured, which is comfortable on me) and a 29 (30 measured, which will be snug but buttonable when new).

How much stretch should I expect in the first month or two? Would you say they stretch by one size or more? Did you notice that the thigh/knee areas stretched more than the waist?

I understand the fact that there will be shrinkage...
Any help would be appreciated - am placing the order on Sunday. Many thanks in advance.

obviously not Doc__ but, i fitted some Momos @ BiG yesterday. you need to be careful in sizing them. the 701s are similar to the Samurai 710 fit and are sized like the Denime 66xx. i'm a true 33 and would not dare go true on these suckers__ i'd size +2 , but +1 is doable.

201s, you can go true__ personally, i'd size 1 up, but that's just me.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many thanks for all the wisdom gents. You have no idea how nice it is to get some hands-on advice from people who actually own these, especially since these are a bit more obscure.

Think I'll go with the larger tagged 30s, which is usually how I approach a new brand/fit. Worst case, I can always justify a second pair next year if these are too big.

Cheers.

tony_stark

Reaction score
Long time haven't posted anything but glad to see folks posting stuff on Momotaro. I've been wearing a pair of 0901s for nearly six months, really putting the jeans through an acid test, heh. They still have a very dark indigo color, though the legs have faded quite nicely. Very true that little to no color comes off when soaked. Recently soaked a pair of 0701s and after 45 minutes the water was pretty clear, heh. But the jeans do shrink an inch or two after the soaking and as said below don't stretch much. Some stretching occurs after plenty of wear but not all too much. Can't hate on Momotaro.
smile.gif

bure

Reaction score
Love the denim on these jeans, but deciding which size to get now for the 201s.

I'm a true 32.5" waist and thigh measurement is usually ~12.25"... so I'm thinking tagged size 30 or 31 from BiG. However, the 31 has a 13" thigh; will it shrink much? Also, will the waist shrink from 33" down to 32" then stretch back out up to an inch again?

Is the pink inseam very noticeable?

Thanks for the help guys,

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads