1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Momotaro

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Jbreen1, Aug 7, 2009.

1. cb_32

cb_32 Senior member

2nd Update: 1st Wash @7mos [Xposted]

[​IMG]
    on a lark, sea-soaked mine @Santa Monica Beach, CA. then later, their 1st [machine] wash, cold [x2].

worn a few times, after wash [back in NYC]:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

very nice, love it

i want a pair of momos so bad

2. pistolero

pistolero Senior member

Based on my experience the 0201 behaves as 100% raw/unsanforized and should be sized as such IF you ever plan to wash them with agitation. I was factoring in some degree of shrink-resistance because of the "partially sanforized" description, but they shrank like any other raw jeans and are now a little snug in the top block, rise and thighs after a warm wash/hang dry. I will have to get a fit pic up eventually so you guys can critique the results.

Next time I will size up and wash/dry right off the hop, or buy OW. They do not stretch much, in case you haven't heard [​IMG]

How much have you worn them post-wash? Have/will they strech back at all? I ask, because I'm about to wash my Momo x Context 0701's which are "partially sanforized", and I don't really want them to shrink any further than where they were after the first (hot) soak. I was planning on a cold wash instead of warm; hang dry.

3. Jay-D

Jay-D Senior member Affiliate Vendor

New from Momotaro: Our first shipment of the season arrived today with 2 models (0701 raw tight straight, and the 2105SP denim jacket). Our next shipment will be early May with more goodness.

Momotaro "Going to Battle"15.7oz Raw Denim Jacket - Model 2105SP
    - "Going to Battle" stripes are a symbol of Japanese tradition representing honor and strength. The warrior stripes also represent the flag carried by "Momotaro" in the original folklore story.
    - 15.7oz selvedge one wash raw (cold soaked in sea water)
    - Deep blue natural indigo denim using super-dense 6s yarn Zimbabwe cotton
    - Deer skin patch
    - Pink selvedge
    - 100% Zimbabwe cotton
    - Sizes 36, 38, 40, 42, 44
    - Made in Japan
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Link: http://www.blueowl.us/scripts/psp/VB...il&SKU=7996000

Momotaro Vintage Label 15.7oz "Tight Straight" Raw Selvedge Model 0701
    - Momotaro's "tight straight" denim fit is slim in the top block, has a low rise, runs slim in the leg, and tapers slightly torwards the leg opening
    - 15.7oz shrink-to-fit raw selvedge
    - Deep blue natural indigo denim using super-dense 6s yarn Zimbabwe cotton
    - Deer skin patch
    - Pink selvedge, pink interior thread - both representing the peach from the "Momotaro" folklore story.
    - 100% Zimbabwe cotton
    - Sizes 28-34, 36
    - Made in Japan
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Link: http://www.blueowl.us/scripts/psp/VB...il&SKU=7996001

4. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

How much have you worn them post-wash? Have/will they strech back at all? I ask, because I'm about to wash my Momo x Context 0701's which are "partially sanforized", and I don't really want them to shrink any further than where they were after the first (hot) soak. I was planning on a cold wash instead of warm; hang dry.
    dunno if you guys are [specifically] concerned of the "top block" only ... btw, my definition of "top block"= waistband + back yoke.

anyway, when soaking jeans, that i'm anticipating to have a problem @top block, i usually chuck a hanger or stick measuring to about the size i want the waist to stay. ironically, i soak them more frequently than my jeans that fit well @getgo. reason being, the waistband gets tempered/broken by constantly not allowing it to constrict/shrink horizontally when soaking+drying. chucking the waistband til dry, on the 1st couple of washes would be ideal, as well__ yes, on wash cold+hanger+hang dry.

[​IMG]K, this is not at all scientific... just based on observation & personal experiences.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Islander

Islander Senior member

I've worn them for a month post wash and the waist was no problem; it stretched back fairly quickly. The fabric below the waistband, back yoke, front rise and thighs have not stretched back much at all and at this point I don't expect them to.

I got a somewhat useful email from Gordon a while back comparing the shrinkage of Momotaro 0201s to the Samurai S710: "Momotaros will potentially shrink about the same 2" in the waist, 1/2" in rise and leg width, and 2.5" in the length. We have a pair of 0201 washed by a customer who washed and returned them because they become too short with a 36.25" inseam (2.75" shrinkage). The 710's will shrink a significant amount with just hot soaking and shrink a little further with machine washing and drying. They will also stretch with frequent wear, more easily than the Momotaro denim."

All of this is true from my experience, so pistolero I think you will be OK with a cold wash/hang dry but if the Momo x Context 0701's are the same denim as the 0201 you should maybe prepare yourself for the possibility of a small amount of irreversible shrinkage.

6. Mistral

Mistral Senior member

Momotaro 0201 just over six months of regular wear.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Based on my experience the 0201 behaves as 100% raw/unsanforized and should be sized as such IF you ever plan to wash them with agitation. I was factoring in some degree of shrink-resistance because of the "partially sanforized" description, but they shrank like any other raw jeans and are now a little snug in the top block, rise and thighs after a warm wash/hang dry. I will have to get a fit pic up eventually so you guys can critique the results.

Next time I will size up and wash/dry right off the hop, or buy OW. They do not stretch much, in case you haven't heard [​IMG]

FTFY

These don't show a lot of wear... They look good though. Makes me wonder what mine will look like in a month or 2.

7. Islander

Islander Senior member

These don't show a lot of wear...
    Ha ha yeah, they get a lot of wear (4-5 days/week) but lead a very boring life [​IMG] Long term project, these.

8. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

IIIrd Icon -

The battle stripes on my 0705s are a little dim (bought them off B&S) and I'd like to give them a bit of a paint job to brighten them up. What did you use on your blackout pair of 0701s - what kind of paint? It seems to have held up well to wear.

9. tropics

tropics Senior member

anyone know if 0805sp is available in US anywhere?

10. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

IIIrd Icon -

The battle stripes on my 0705s are a little dim (bought them off B&S) and I'd like to give them a bit of a paint job to brighten them up. What did you use on your blackout pair of 0701s - what kind of paint? It seems to have held up well to wear.

black acrylic paint i bought from the art store. i did 2 coats. then, iron pressed [@medium setting] when dry__ cover the newly painted area with a piece of fabric, so paint wont stick to the flat iron.

11. Mistral

Mistral Senior member

Some close-up shots I made today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. El Argentino

black acrylic paint i bought from the art store. i did 2 coats. then, iron pressed [@medium setting] when dry__ cover the newly painted area with a piece of fabric, so paint wont stick to the flat iron.

sweet - thanks

13. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

^but, you know what, IMO the original GTB white stripes would get better evo than the acrylic. they were meant to wear in with the denim itself__ that's the appeal.

acrylic degrades really slow. bright, shiny white [seemingly spankin' new] stripes on faded/worn in denim kinda look odd to me. tho' i <3 the "GTB Stripes" concept, i dint care for the attention, hence, the black "stealth" option.

14. El Argentino

There's not a ton of wear to begin with. No fades at all, just getting soft. Thanks for the info though. I'll debate a bit and put up pics for opinions before doing anything as drastic as taking paint to $300 denim...

15. Islander

Islander Senior member

IIIrd Icon - The battle stripes on my 0705s are a little dim (bought them off B&S) and I'd like to give them a bit of a paint job to brighten them up. What did you use on your blackout pair of 0701s - what kind of paint? It seems to have held up well to wear.
    I don't own any Momos w/ the battle stripes, but I like the pics I've seen with the white paint starting to chip off and fade away. A year from now when they're down to the whites with just a hint of stripe still visible they'll look awesome. Edit: post pics!

16. tropics

tropics Senior member

took a trip in to BIG yesterday [​IMG]

17. alexanduh

alexanduh Senior member

took a trip in to BIG yesterday

[​IMG]

awesome

18. El Argentino

took a trip in to BIG yesterday

[​IMG]

This is a gorgeous sight. Can't wait for my PBJ's to arrive in the mail from them later today.

19. Mistral

Mistral Senior member

Just threw my Momo's in the washing machine. Not expecting anything mayor, but they began to smell. Don't like that.

20. uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx Senior member

how long did it take to start smelling?