Momotaro

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Jbreen1, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Teger

Teger Senior member

wish it was cold enough to start wearing these

2. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

^ Morgan recently pulled off a fine alteration on some Eternals. Check the how do you rock 'em thread, and proceed with caution (or cut your losses and try the 701s?)

My 0201s arrived today, FedEx direct from Nagano. [​IMG]

The denim, stitching and attention to detail are quite amazing. My previous raw denim experience being limited to APC and Dior, there is no comparison (as if that needed saying). I bought TTS and although I have only had time to try them on quickly they seemed a l-i-i-i-i-ttle snugger than I was expecting pre-soak. That might have something to do with the fact that they are stiff and heavily starched though.

Right now they fit they way I am hoping they will eventually fit in the waist, and a little bigger everywhere else. So with post-soak shrinkage, followed by ~1" of stretch in the waist (and with a little luck) they should be good.

201s are close to '55 cut. TTS was a wise decision [if you're about] regular built, imo. i don't know if you're consciously venturing out of your comfort [slim] zone, but you just turned onto the repro[ish] zone. 'serious shiet, these Momotaro__ the denim must've blown you away, man [​IMG]

btw, the waist would be fine. luke-warm soak for an hour, initially. then, do a partial hot soak [below the waist]. just a suggestion, of course[​IMG]

wish it was cold enough to start wearing these
    how about some preview, sir Teger?!

3. sixsails

sixsails Senior member

Anyone else here have the momotaro x context grand indigo? I'm looking to see how much the waist has stretched for others.

4. pistolero

pistolero Senior member

^^ recently kopped, but haven't worn much as of yet. Did one soak and they're off being hemmed right now. I'm definitely hoping for a little bit of stretch; the waist was perfect pre-soak, but is now a little tighter than i'd like. I can still button them up so I think I'll be good eventually.

5. Islander

Islander Senior member

201s are close to '55 cut. TTS was a wise decision [if you're about] regular built, imo. i don't know if you're consciously venturing out of your comfort [slim] zone, but you just turned onto the repro[ish] zone. 'serious shiet, these Momotaro__ the denim must've blown you away, man [​IMG]

btw, the waist would be fine. luke-warm soak for an hour, initially. then, do a partial hot soak [below the waist]. just a suggestion, of course[​IMG]

Thanks IIIrd, of course I welcome your suggestions! I based my sizing on the pictures I've seen here and your previous posts and appreciate the added info. I was looking for a roomier fit with a long inseam, hopefully ~37" post-soak. I'm pretty tall - not quite Doctor tall, but close enough that length is a concern. And yeah, the denim was a revelation. I will follow your prescription and let you know how it goes!

6. slide13

slide13 Senior member

post fit pics of the Momotaro x Context if you get a chance...I love these jeans and keep thinking about getting a pair every time I stop in the store.

7. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

^ Morgan recently pulled off a fine alteration on some Eternals. Check the how do you rock 'em thread, and proceed with caution (or cut your losses and try the 701s?)

My 0201s arrived today, FedEx direct from Nagano. [​IMG]

The denim, stitching and attention to detail are quite amazing. My previous raw denim experience being limited to APC and Dior, there is no comparison (as if that needed saying). I bought TTS and although I have only had time to try them on quickly they seemed a l-i-i-i-i-ttle snugger than I was expecting pre-soak. That might have something to do with the fact that they are stiff and heavily starched though.

Right now they fit they way I am hoping they will eventually fit in the waist, and a little bigger everywhere else. So with post-soak shrinkage, followed by ~1" of stretch in the waist (and with a little luck) they should be good.

Congratulations! Yeah, Momotaros are a big step up in quality compared to APC and Dior. Glad to hear that you are liking them.

8. Islander

Islander Senior member

^ Thanks, looking forward to getting this journey underway!

Also, cross post PSA from the Japanese Denim thread where someone was asking about japan_denim's eBay store. No disrespect to our more established retailers, I encourage everyone to support them, but these guys were very professional and being on the Pacific Rim this option worked well for me.

I recently had a very good experience with japan_denim. I was looking for a pair of Momotaro 0201 but Context is currently out of stock and will not be placing a reorder for a few months. I saw japan_denim mentioned in the Momotaro thread so I decided to be the SF guinea pig and give them a try.* After placing the order and sending PayPal payment I received a message from a friendly guy named K., who confirmed that my jeans were true to the measurements posted in the eBay store and were ready to ship via FedEx. The next day (Sept 10) the package was shipped via FedEx International Economy (customs-cleared, requires signature proof of delivery) and another friendly guy named M. sent me a FedEx tracking number. They were sent from Nagano and arrived in Vancouver on Sept 13. The jeans were brand new with no defects and exceeded my expectations in every way. I highly recommend them.

*I based my decision to buy from japan_denim in part on the fact that 1) I'm tall and don't need to chain stitch the hems, and 2) I live in western Canada, so shipping from Nagano cost less than shipping from N.Y.

9. Bananimus

Bananimus Member

I'm definitely hoping for a little bit of stretch; the waist was perfect pre-soak, but is now a little tighter than i'd like. I can still button them up so I think I'll be good eventually.
    My experience with these jeans was more or less the same. I ordered them true to size (pre-soak) and hoped they would stretch after soaking; they did, although the process was fairly slow. I'll see if I can get a picture at some point.

10. Islander

Islander Senior member

btw, the waist would be fine. luke-warm soak for an hour, initially. then, do a partial hot soak [below the waist]. just a suggestion, of course [​IMG]

So far so good - I did a luke-warm soak of the 201s for an hour or so and lost 1.25" of inseam, 0.75" in the waist and about 0.5" in the rise and leg openings. Less shrinkage in the waist than I was expecting which is good based on how I sized them. The water stayed almost colourless but filled up with starch as the water cooled. A blue ring of indigo formed on the tub above the water almost like vapour condensing on the cold porcelain. It was cool.

Anyways, back on topic: rolled 'em in a towel then hung to air dry overnight. Next morning I got them buttoned up (barely) and wore them for a day. The waist has already stretched a bit, not quite back to original size, and the top block/thighs fit perfectly. Next up is a hot soak below the knees to try and tighten up the lower legs just a bit. Thx IIIrd you nailed it!

11. Omega Man

Omega Man Senior member

While this might be slightly off-topic, how do you get rid of the blue ring on the tub? Detergent/soap and scrub? I have never soaked/washed my jeans in the tub as I don't know if the ring will be permament.

12. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

^beaching agent like Chlorox or tile scum remover. that's why i don't do bath tub soaks. i always soak mine at the [stainless] kitchen sink.

13. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

^beaching agent like Chlorox or tile scum remover. that's why i don't do bath tub soaks. i always soak mine at the [stainless] kitchen sink.

I soak mine in the baby's bathtub. It's white, but it's plastic and doesn't pick up any dye at all.

14. sixsails

sixsails Senior member

thinking about selling my w32 momotaro x context grand indigo so i can size up to a 33. they fit as it is without pain but i think the extra comfort of another inch would be worth the hassle.

15. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

Update: Momo 701s__ after 2wks of continious wear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]