1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Momotaro

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Jbreen1, Aug 7, 2009.

1. bapcha

bapcha Active Member

Not if you soaked it in hot water first (and it still fit OK). I buy my raw denim loose - so I can chuck them in the dryer. PBJ-AI's included

Sincerely,
    BMan

2. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

Of course you can treat a $300+ pair of jeans like Gap, if that's what u want ... boil them or w/e. But, if u have to nuke them to fit, you're missing the whole point of [this] exercise.

Denim-fading is a hobby ... sports to some ;) ... simply put, it's a process of "selective" indigo loss. Random rapid indigo loss on such expensive jeans, even before the start of break in, is literally money down the drain, IMO.

Peeps got their own [esoteric] rituals. It's what makes it actually fun & interesting. What I don't understand is, why buy $300+ jeans, if you're going to treat/regard them as any other "piece of 100% cotton pants" ... I mean, aside from, being able to afford them, what does one come away with?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

I have an answer to this, but it isn't what you're looking for.

I buy $300+ jeans because I can. What I do with them doesn't offset their worth against their utility.

I tell me the same questions who questions why people buy lux items by arguing that they don't need them because something cheaper does the same thing or they are not useful . It doesn't matter, people buy because they can.

4. tropics

tropics Senior member

5. mraza

mraza Well-Known Member

Guys,
    I am considering cooper selvedge in size 36. As per sizing guide it shows that size 36 fits 37.5 waist. If that true and cooper doesn't shrink I wanted to go with 36.
    Can you guys confirm if cooper run 1.5 size up?

Thanks

6. bapcha

bapcha Active Member

Talk to Denimio. They have a fit guarantee too!!! (As long as you do a chat/email consultation)

https://www.denimio.com

Sincerely,
    Bapcha

7. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

With the honest admission that I have no clue what I'm doing, aside from wearing these until they stink and then finding a way to de-stank them, here are some progress pics.

0205SP (Denimio)

1.5 years, countless wear, no appreciable fading to my eye.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My most-worn denim by far for their soft, hairy, comfortable awesomeness.

These were cold soaked at around six months and also frozen twice to see if it had any effect on the funk. It seemed to work a bit. Pics taken after recent machine cold wash with light detergent, no spin, air dry and after one wear. It was their first wash with any sort of cleaning agent since their purchase and it was absolutely necessary.

Despite wearing these more than any other pair of jeans, I cannot see any appreciable fading of the denim. I really like the way they look as-is so I'm happy to see if they develop more character over time.

BOM00X (Blue Owl)

1 year, also countless wear, no real color fading but definitely more creasing as they are tighter than the 0205SPs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These have seen two cold soaks, the first to initially remove some starch since the new fabric felt like cardboard and the second soak due to critical dank mass around six months. Pics taken after recent machine cold wash with light detergent, no spin, air dry and after one wear. I had to wash them - They reeked.

My favorite (and only) pair of black denim, they are best friends with the lint brush and are still surprisingly stiff despite their age. Very tight in the thigh and calf areas due to my runner's legs but hardly uncomfortable, it still feels like these are breaking in even after a year of wear.

So. Not much fading for either pair and I'm fine with it. I like the color of both jeans as-is but I do suspect that some sort of change is bound to occur over the next year(s) of wear.

Either way, huge Momotaro fan here. As my first foray into premium denim, I'm hooked!

8. mraza

mraza Well-Known Member

Beautiful !!

I really liked 0205SP (Denimio)
    I don't want too tight and narrow bottom and this look like in the middle . I will go look for denimio site .
    Since it's pre-shrink , did you go size down or same as our normal size ?
    Last question related to washing , you wrote machine wash cold with detergent and no spin. What do you mean no spin in washing machine ?

Thanks

9. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

https://www.denimio.com/momotaro-je...57oz-slim-fit-straight.html?___store=default#

I went off the thigh measurements to make sure they would fit - The 38 waist 0205SP has a 30.4" thigh, which is just enough to be comfortable for me. The overall fit is pretty perfect - They were a bit long with a 35.4" inseam, but I had them hemmed/cable stitched at Self Edge San Francisco which took them down 1.4" and allowed for the much smaller cuff that I personally prefer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No matter what I have done to them, they do not feel like they have ever shrunk by even a trace amount.

The spin cycle is a part of the final rinse and is exactly as-described - It spins the remaining water out of the clothes but it has a way of compacting denim and leaving hard creases that do not readily come out. At least this is my experience when washing other denim.

I selected no spin cycle, and once the washer had drained I hung them up to dry outside.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  10. mraza

mraza Well-Known Member

Guys,what is the solution to keep "white going to battle stripes" in good condition ? I am sure wash will ruin it over time.
    Why they make white color coded stripes that will mess up over time and leave residue on jeans ?

11. mraza

mraza Well-Known Member

Are you worry about "white stripes " fade and leave residue or fade unevenly and look bad on the jeans?

12. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

Not in the slightest. From what I have seen in pics the white stripes may fade in prominence but do not ever leave any sort of residue as they do so.

My 0205SP stripes have definitely faded a bit and you can see the indigo starting to show through in parts, but there is no transfer of the white color to be seen.

13. mraza

mraza Well-Known Member

Guys,
    I wanted jeans that doesn't fade . I wanted dark indigo color that won't fade to light or mid blue. Does momotaro has anything like it?
    I wanted medium rise straight fit.
    Thank you

14. Rowland

Rowland Well-Known Member

I think the best way is to wash them regularly, but still they will get some fade.

15. Joesan

Joesan New Member

Guys,

I'm looking forward to purchasing a Japanese Selvedge denim and I came across Momotaro. I stand 180cm tall and weigh just 64 kg and I normally wear 31 or 32 waist. I'm looking for some slim fit that is not too slim. I could not make out the model number that might fit from the Momotaro website, so I'm here asking you guys for some suggestions on which model I should look into? Altternatively, I came across another denim brand called Pure Blue Japan and this particular model seems that it might suit me, but I haven't tried it yet!

PURE BLUE JAPAN AL-13-TSM TAPERED SLIM NATURAL INDIGO 13.5OZ

So could you guys please offer me some suggestions on which Momotaro model I should look into?

16. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

This doesn''t make sense. Washing regularly will promote fading, not retard it. It might, however, make the fading more uniform.
    A few brands make models that are specifically designed minimize fading. PBJ might be one, although offhand I''m not sure.

17. Rowland

Rowland Well-Known Member

Yes, that´s what I meant, sorry about my poor explanation. The best way is probably wash them when they are brand new, and wait as much as possible for the next wash

1 person likes this.
  18. Iant56

Iant56 New Member

I can say they are bigger than I expected. I sized up and find them huge. The waist is the smallest part, but likely something that can be stretched out.