1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Momotaro

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Jbreen1, Aug 7, 2009.

1. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

hey everyone, in the market for new some denim. i know this thread seems to be mostly focused on mainline momo, but I'm looking specifically at some JP0701s. Any comments on these?

2. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

I have a pair of Japan Blue in the tapered fit, and I daresay for $200, there isn't better denim out there. Provided the fit is right (given that JPs are massively vanity sized compared to their Momo brethren), they are a fantastic pair, fade and wear well, etc. Would recommend.

3. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

can you elaborate on the "massively vanity sized" point? my best fitting pair of pants measure exactly 29" so I was planning on purchasing a sz28 from rakuten (http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/bears/item/japanblue-jb0701/) which lists the measurement for that size as ~28.5" which doesn't seem terribly vanity sized. how much stretch did you experience?

i'm also debating the eternal 883.

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  4. El Argentino

At least w/ the tapered fit, the waist of a tagged 33 measured about 35.5. Maybe they've tightened up their production measurements to fit more TTS in the last 3 years.

5. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

hmm good to know. i think i'll go by the measurements just to be sure, though. did you experience a lot of stretching/shrinkage? the 28 would be perfect for me going by the raw measurements, but judging by the o/w on rakuten, may be slightly too small?

6. Mistral

Mistral Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. accordion

accordion Senior member

8. Mistral

Mistral Senior member

9. TFWsaewest

TFWsaewest Active Member

Hi,

I am thinking of purchasing a pair of 0701. I am a size 35 waist, would you recommend getting a tagged 34. Blue Owl has the waist measured to 35 but it says they will shrink an inch then stretch back out. Do they really stretch out to the original size and if so will they stretch a little more?

Thanks

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  10. Mistral

Mistral Senior member

The waist will stretch back to or a little beyond raw measurements. Make sure you size the thigh area right.

11. El Argentino

Just to add another wrinkle to this; FWIW, I have the same 35-ish waist. Usually 34 - 34.5. I went w/ the 36 and have loved it.

Mistral is right though; get the thigh measurement right. That's why I sized up and it's worked very well. Thighs will make or break your pair.

12. TFWsaewest

TFWsaewest Active Member

Thanks guys, I spoke with Jay at Blue Owl and I went with the 34. I don't have super big thighs so hopefully these fit. Im really excited to start wearing these.

13. TFWsaewest

TFWsaewest Active Member

Would you recommend a cold or hot soak for the initial soak on the 0701? And for how long?

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  14. sillyboybmxer

sillyboybmxer Senior member

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  15. schmallo15

schmallo15 Senior member

16. sillyboybmxer

sillyboybmxer Senior member

Ahhhh the expensive ones.

17. pasteurisation

pasteurisation Senior member

If they are really natural pure indigo dyed, they sell for around 80000Yen(=$800) at Momotaro store in Japan. I've seen them in person. They are so beautiful.

18. Mistral

Mistral Senior member

No, AI doesn't stand for All Indigo. It is a reference to a period in Japanese history which describes the art of dying textiles with natural indigo, so called Edo Ai.

19. schmallo15

schmallo15 Senior member

Thanks for the correction. I had read that somewhere. I guess you can't trust everything you read on the internet (sarcasm). Another site says that AI is short for Aizome. Do you know how this and Edo Ai reconcile?

http://www.okayamadenim.com/products/ai-001

20. pasteurisation

pasteurisation Senior member

Ai means indigo in Japanese. Aizome is indigo dye. If it is pure natural indigo, it is called Sho-ai or Hon-ai in Japan to distinguish from synthetic indigo. However, many still doesn't know the difference.

Above PBJ jeans are natural indigo dyed. That's why they are relatively pricey, but they are inexpensive compared to other brands natural indigo dyed jeans.

1 person likes this.