• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Momotaro

itbegins

Reaction score

Also the Copper Label G017-MBs look great, but they are washed once and not technically raw correct?

Your conflating "one-wash" with the "wash" that is used in the industry to produce pre-distressed or faded jeans - they are not the same. For all intents and purposes the Copper labels are raw, they've just had a single rinse/wash, which you'd do with the 701s (or similar unsanforized) once you got your hands on them anyway.

Broark

Reaction score
Your conflating "one-wash" with the "wash" that is used in the industry to produce pre-distressed or faded jeans - they are not the same. For all intents and purposes the Copper labels are raw, they've just had a single rinse/wash, which you'd do with the 701s (or similar unsanforized) once you got your hands on them anyway.
Ahh okay, thanks for clearing that up.

Muri

Reaction score
Don't buy your momotaros in Singapore. You can find them here but they're overpriced. Contacting Jay at Blue Owl is definitely your best bet (especially since he has free shipping). I just got the BOM004s from him and they are unbelievably comfortable if you're worried about that kind of thing.

Broark

Reaction score

Don't buy your momotaros in Singapore. You can find them here but they're overpriced. Contacting Jay at Blue Owl is definitely your best bet (especially since he has free shipping). I just got the BOM004s from him and they are unbelievably comfortable if you're worried about that kind of thing.
I figured as much as far as Momotaros in Singapore. I lived there for a few years and mostly everything there is overpriced. That being said I never really was really into menswear when I lived there so I figured I'd give it a shot. I sent Jay a PM this morning but haven't heard back yet, might try emailing tomorrow.

teamnsk123

Reaction score
Looking into my first momos
sly.gif
did not know jay had a skinny cut out for the 701's.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looking into my first momos :sly:  did not know jay had a skinny cut out for the 701's. 

Yeah, BOM002 is your bet if you're looking for the classic denim in a true skinny cut. Best to you and your choice -

Rightyow77

Reaction score
Looking into my first momos
sly.gif
did not know jay had a skinny cut out for the 701's.
It's not the 701, like Argentino said it is the BOM002, skinny straight. Not the Tight straight or modle 701. Uses the same 15.7oz vintage label denim.
So I am most likely getting a pair of the Grand Indigos, handled a pair of the 702s in person too which made the decision that much harder :C

Will most likely get both....eventually, since my JBs have been getting trashed these last 4 months.

Last edited:

Somar

Reaction score
"Intro to Momotaro"
laugh.gif

Most people first experience a 70x (last digit designates denim used and other variables) cut, classified as a "tight straight." It's universally appealing, well proportioned, and fits just about anybody well assuming sizing is correct. It is the most readily available cut in the US. A slightly more "slim straight" cut is the 20x. This will have more room in the thigh.
The 701 or 201 will both get you the same denim in one of these two most popular cuts.
The 90x is more rare in the US. It's one of the fullest cuts available. The 40x is a tapered cut, a bit more generous in the thigh and seat, and then coming way in on the leg opening. In addition, Blue Owl (SF-affiliate & vendor) offers a true "skinny" cut. I'm not sure of the numeric designation on that, but it's the slimmest possible offering by Momotaro. I'm sure others are available of which I'm not currently aware.
For a no-frills start, I would suggest the 701 or 705 (same denim, w/ battle stripes). 705 will be sanforized, so don't have to worry about initial shrinkage. It all depends on what you're looking for.
I would highly suggest contacting user Jay-D (owner/operator of Blue Owl, based near Seattle) and consulting the best fit for you based on your own measurements. His service is second-to-none.
Best of luck, and welcome to the club. You won't be disappointed.
Now THAT was helpfull. Thanks

forsberg

Reaction score
But are the G017-MB lighter in color than 0701?

From blue owl:

Introducing the newest denim release from Momotaro - Copper Label Tight Straight G017-MB. The Copper Label is one of the core series produced by Momotaro which up until now we have not stocked, but we are glad to have in store now. The Copper Label denims feature copper accent hardware and a 14.7oz weight selvedge which is slightly lighter compared to the other Momotaro denim series. What makes this release special is the indigo used. Prior to this release, the Copper Label denims featured more vintage style indigos being much lighter shades of indigo and more true to the originals they are modeled after. The new release is a deep indigo that is the same pure indigo used on the Vintage Label denims like the 0701 and on the Going to Battle denims like the 0705sp.

forsberg

Reaction score
As a first pair of momotaro, what would be better, 0701 or G017-MB?

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

and whats your opinion?

Haha - I meant that that should all be up to you; not a veiled attempt at sarcasm or anything.

If they're the same cut, then it's just about getting your sizing right. Depends on what color you're going for.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads