• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Momotaro

jeangenie

Reaction score
thanks for your reply, after re-reading the description on the Momotaro Going to Battle 0705SP, I find that they are One-Wash jean, will this affect the fading?, if so is there another model that is comparable to this? (as skinny as possible)

Again thanks in advance!

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skolatchi
I saw a pair of Momotaro 0705SP Tight Straight on eBay.
Are these discontinued and comparable to 0701?

Edit: Never mind, I see that these are the GTB variation of the 0701.

Actually, from what I've seen, the 705 is a little bit slimmer than the 701. They are not the same cut.

Originally Posted by jeangenie
thanks for your reply, after re-reading the description on the Momotaro Going to Battle 0705SP, I find that they are One-Wash jean, will this affect the fading?, if so is there another model that is comparable to this? (as skinny as possible)

Again thanks in advance!

The one-wash shouldn't affect the fading noticeably at all. It just takes out the shrinkage. The overall color might be slightly different than from raw, but even if you bought raw, you'd probably soak the jeans before wearing them and do almost the same thing.

Mossy

Reaction score
Hi guys, if I could get some advice on sizing that would be much appreciated.

I just bought the 0201 (slim-straight) in size 32. I am 5'7, 160lbs, slim but muscular. My true waist is around 32-33". The waist fits fine, but they are quite baggy everywhere else. I am a bit worried that they will not shrink enough. I am not going for a really slim fit (my legs/butt are too big to make this look work well for me), but I don't want them to be really baggy post-soak. I have never done the whole shrink-to-fit thing before and am wondering what method I should use to make sure that I get the right amount of shrinkage. I guess I'll start with a hot soak, and then hang dry (or should I machine dry?). If this doesn't shrink them enough, is it possible to soak/dry them again and get more shrinkage?

Thanks in advance for any helps!!

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^dude, wrong cut__ 201 is close to a '55(?) cut. ain't no way you can make them slim. you should've taken a 701 or 705.

this is 701:
momo2.jpg

Mossy

Reaction score
those are really nice IIIrd. I guess I was a bit thrown off by the fact that the 201 is actually called a "slim straight." It's not that I am looking for something that is necessarily slim, I just don't want baggy, and it seems unlikely that these are going to shrink enough to to anything but baggy
frown.gif
damnit.

Doctor

Reaction score
The 0201's are a straight fit and not slim at all, despite the name.

I have had better luck sizing up in a pair of 0701's for a more relaxed fit. I've got bulky thighs, so the larger size accomodates them whilst having a reasonable, slim taper through the leg.

If you hot wash them and tumble dry, the shrinkage will be significant IMO. Just be aware that they really don't stretch much AT ALL.

Mossy

Reaction score
Hmm interesting. Can anyone comment on whether or not I got the sizing right? My upper thighs are like 22", lower = 19", and as I said the waist fits me pretty good as is (true waist measures 34"). It doesn't seem like many people on here (or any of the denim message boards for that matter) have experience with the 201 cut.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mossy
Hmm interesting. Can anyone comment on whether or not I got the sizing right? My upper thighs are like 22", lower = 19", and as I said the waist fits me pretty good as is (true waist measures 34"). It doesn't seem like many people on here (or any of the denim message boards for that matter) have experience with the 201 cut.
You got the sizing right. I've owned the 201 before, and I recall the legs being fairly roomy in that cut. It is not a slim fitting jean at all. If you want a Momotaro that is slimmer in the leg, I would recommend that you get the 701 instead. 705 will probably be too slim for your taste.

Doctor

Reaction score
As above. I have a pair of 0201's and they are a loose cut through the legs.

If you want the legs to taper a bit for a cleaner cut, then get 0701s in a larger size.

iwhelan

Reaction score
I have a pair of 0201s and they are maybe not super slim, but they are also not anything like a true loose fit. They're a straight fit, pure and simple. They are maybe slim relative to other vintage inspired straight cuts though.

I don't know what sizes you guys have in the 0201, but mine are 31s, and they're reasonably slim, but just don't have a significant taper. They're roomier than a New Standard though. I just dont think of them as loose, just straight and not super slim.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iwhelan
I have a pair of 0201s and they are maybe not super slim, but they are also not anything like a true loose fit. They're a straight fit, pure and simple. They are maybe slim relative to other vintage inspired straight cuts though. I don't know what sizes you guys have in the 0201, but mine are 31s, and they're reasonably slim, but just don't have a significant taper. They're roomier than a New Standard though. I just dont think of them as loose, just straight and not super slim.
I wouldn't call them loose either, and their leg is definitely slimmer than, say, a Samurai 510 or an SDA SD-101, but I certainly wouldn't call them slim either.

Mossy

Reaction score
Thanks for the help so far guys. I am posting a few pre-soak fit pics. Does this look about right? I am considering drying them in the drying machine to make sure that they shrink as much as I need them too.

click pics for full size.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mossy
Thanks for the help so far guys. I am posting a few pre-soak fit pics. Does this look about right? I am considering drying them in the drying machine to make sure that they shrink as much as I need them too.

click pics for full size.

The fit looks right for that cut. You'll get maximum shrinkage in the dryer, just make sure the waist isn't too snug right now before you do the dryer, or else you won't have fun trying to get them buttoned back up. And Momotaros are not known for stretching much at all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads