1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Momotaro

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Jbreen1, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Spencer

Spencer Senior member

True. Lower the rise, lower they sit on your hips/waist so your measurement will be smaller.

2. Mistral

Mistral Senior member

Low rise jeans often have a vanity sized waist. This is because of the hip area being fuller than the waist, if you're anatomically correct, that is.

3. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

Fawk all you plebs talking about sizing.

If they don't fit just buy another pair that does and donate the pair that doesn't.

1 person likes this.
  4. rexet

rexet Senior member

On my way to the cobbler I found a little shop in Paris that had 3 models of Japan Blue.
    They only had tag size 31 and 33.

I tried the JB0102:
    - tag 31 was really to tight, I was not able to button up
    - tag 33 was too loose with too much room in the waist

I assume I'm a tag 32 in this brand so I think I will order the same size for my Momotaro product line.

5. Rightyow77

Rightyow77 Senior member

I am just going to assume everyone that has asked a sizing question does not own a tape measurer, or a piece of string.
    Like WTF guys, you have really awesome dudes like El and Cal that keep helping you out, you have the BOW measurements, Jay thats on here quite a bit and you have the interwebs. Come one just Stahp

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
    3 people like this.
  6. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

I told him to measure his thighs before buying anything. Thanks for giving me credit.

7. mysterymeatpete

mysterymeatpete Well-Known Member

You realize the 1xx is a totally different cut from the 7xx, right? If you can't button up, it could be that the thighs/knees/calves are too tight causing the jeans to sit a little lower so that you'd need a larger waist measurement

Sizing jeans isn't a guessing game or a "trying on jeans" art form. It's 99% numbers and it's not that hard to get right

8. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

He also fails to realize that the JB-line is dramatically vanity sized compared to the true Momotaro line because while similarly rooted THEY'RE NOT THE SAME BRAND.

Ex. even in the pertinent 70- cut, a tagged 32 is 32" in Momotaro. It's around to 34" in JB.

:facepalm:

As a caveat, if he had any contact w/ Jay, I'm sure the order was well consulted, regardless of the final outcome.

9. rexet

rexet Senior member

I spent one week reading all the Momotaro topics on MyNudie, SF, SUFU, etc.
    I spent 1h to measure all my pants.
    I exchange few mails with Momotaro.
    I contacted Jay, Tate+Yoko, etc.

So YES I may had done the wrong choices but I think it is now time to give a try :) !

Regarding the cut I know they are not the same.

The fact is that you have you opinion and I also read the contrary on some other thread.
    I took all advices into account, it is just that at the end I have to try on my own and build my own experience of Momo sizing. :)

10. El Argentino

Momotaro 701 (unsanforized - meaning that waist will shrink up to 2 inches) - * Size 32 (33" waist, 10.5" rise, 11.75" thigh, 9" knee, 39" inseam, 8.25" leg opening)

Momotaro 705 (aka - safe approximation of what your 701 could end up as after shrinkage, if not smaller) - * Size 32 (32" waist, 10.25" rise, 11.25" thigh, 8.7" knee, 35.5" inseam, 7.8" leg opening)

Japan Blue 700 (same cut, but produced by a different brand) - * Size 32 (34" waist, 10.5" rise, 11.25" thigh, 8.75" knee, 38.5" inseam, 8" leg opening)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

As clearly seen here - the measurements of a Japan Blue version of the same cut LET ALONE A DIFFERENT CUT are nothing upon which to base your purchase of Momotaros, despite any similarities in the cut. The same tagged size results in a (slightly) higher rise and (much) bigger waist.

I hope your purchase works out for you - I really do.

This is not even considering a thigh-measurement argument that CalTex did address previously. (Credit)

11. rexet

rexet Senior member

Just remember that I ordered a 702 (not a 701) which is sanforized. Regarding this it is supposed to shrink only by 0.5 inch.
    Momotaro on FB told be that the 702 is able to stretch out to 0.75 inch.
    Regarding that the tag32 which is measured as a W33 will evolve between W32.5 and W33.75. Since I am a 33 I just thought it would be ok.

Now concerning the JB0101 it is supposed to have the same cut as the JB0102 that I tried today in tag31 and tag33. The tag31 was way to small and the 33 way to loose. I just assumed the tag32 would be perfect.

To my eyes it makes sense but of course I could be completely wrong and I won't be ashamed to admit it here when I will receive them :) !

Regarding the tight measurement, this is not really an issue for me since I really have thin thight. The worst thing that could happen is that it would be a bit too loose around them. My main pb in jeans sizing has always been the waist.

Anyway, I would really highlight the fact that I really appreciate your help and advices and I really take them into account among all the information I gathered on the web :nodding:

12. dazzaaaaa

dazzaaaaa Member

Got a new pair of 0705sp in 28 for sale, 250 shipped, check my thead thanks

13. Mistral

Mistral Senior member

While Jay's (BlueOwl) sizing is spot on, I found that the 0702 runs a tad smaller than the raw 0701's, I can fit a pair of 28's of them, though I couldn't even line up the button fly in the same size 0702's. Be warned, Momotaro's are a bitch to stretch. I advise to go TTS in the Tight Straight models.

14. rexet

rexet Senior member

Thank you Mistral for your advice. It is really hard to decide.
    Just to be sure I understand well, when you say "going TTS", does it mean:
    - the tag should match my waist or
    - the measured waist related to the tag should match my waist

According to Jay, the tag32 should be fine with me but of course I know it is just a guess.

15. rkingucla

rkingucla Well-Known Member

16. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

Should rename the thread to, "Argentino needs to prove himself to feel like a man thread"

Come at me brah

17. El Argentino

Touché, amigo :)

18. Mistral

Mistral Senior member

TTS means that you take your own waist size as tagged. So if your waist measures 32", you take a tag 32. This often is done when measurements of a certain pair of jeans are close to what the tagsize implies, e.g. not vanity sized.

19. rexet

rexet Senior member

Ok I understand well :) !
    I'm gonna share your recommandation with Jay to see what he thinks about it.
    Thank you again for you help Mistral !

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  20. dusttruffle

dusttruffle Senior member