• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Momotaro stretch/shrinkage sizing?

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got a pair of Momotaro 0701 raw 15.7oz jeans. Unfortunately, due to nobody's fault, the 30 waist jeans are actually exactly true to size, rather than the measured +1" '31' size noted on the size chart. I'm hoping for an exchange. BiG has been amazing with me so far.

These jeans are 'partially sanforized' which is new to me (I understand what to expect with shrinkage and stretch and how to size with both full sanforized and stf denim, mostly...)

So, here's the question:

I'm a true 32. Should I get a true, measured 31 expecting at least 1" stretch with these, go true to size, or size up one expecting the 1" shrinkage called out on BiG's website.

Also, once shrunk, should I expect the jeans to return to the stretched out waist size, or just return to the original, unsoaked measured waist size?

Note - I plan to wear 6+ months before soak, and will only cold-soak/hang dry for the forseeable future.

Any experience or suggestions appreciated.

Doctor

Reaction score
That's pretty keen of you not to soak these for 6 months. I'd suggest you do - no indigo is lost at all in a cold soak, but a lot of the starch will come out and they'll actually be wearable (they're crazy stiff to start with).

All I can really say is that Momotaro's (I have the 0701's) don't stretch much. If you're not soaking, they won't stretch out more than about 1" in the waist at most. If you do soak, they'll barely stretch beyond pre-soak size.

If they're tight to begin with, they will stretch a little bit, but the fit will always be snug.

There is actually a Momotaro thread recently created with some of this info in it.

iwhelan

Reaction score
I have a pair of 31 waist 0201s. They have been soaked twice. The second soak was hot even (no indigo loss btw). The waist shrinks but it has since stretched back to where they were when I bought them new.

If you are unsure and you're actually buying from BiG, why not just call them? I went into the store and the people there were extremely helpful. I didn't have to figure anything out. They just made sure I had the proper size jeans, and they were right... even down to estimating how much length would shrink later and hemming at the proper length so they are now perfect after shrinkage.

-Ian

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You shouldn't have started a new thread. But they are going to shrink about an inch max and they aren't going to stretch much because they are tight weave.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks all around. That's what I was afraid of. The 30s will need to go back. Damn. doc, I'll check out the thread you referenced, but you did help me with the sizing/stretch thing a week or two ago. Thanks again.

PS - (newbie here...) should this have been posted in one of the 'general question' catagories?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance but could this not have been posted in the momotaro thread?

Doctor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlyngard
PS - (newbie here...) should this have been posted in one of the 'general question' catagories?

Nah - we're just referring to the Momotaro thread - http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...light=momotaro - you found it anyway.

Usually there's a thread for each denim brand and all discussion goes in there. I can understand it's confusing as on some forums, posting your own questions in someone else's thread is regarded as hijacking - not so on SF.

All the best - love my Momotaro's
smile.gif

e1 selvedge

Reaction score
Hi guys I need help I got a momotaro g004 mb one wash in the size 30 which is a little difficult to do the top button, how much stretch might I get in the waist the rest of the denim is perfect I got it hemmed. My usual size is 31 which always fit very comfortable and sometimes wear 32 with a belt. I have added a few pounds lately so I know my weight will def go down a few pounds for sure in the gut when I get back to training.they only had 30 and 32 so I decided to go one size down from my perfect size to get a better fit. Any info will be appreciated

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads