1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Momotaro 702 Contest

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by CalTex, Nov 6, 2012.

1. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

This illustrates a denim theory I have expressed to a few people on the board but never publicly revealed.

Tight fit is NOT the key to great fades. Instead, you actually want the denim to have a bit of slack all over your body so that it has more room to rub against itself and pick up wear. I've seen this more and more, and can no longer understand those guys in the N&F forum trying to size down 3, or the constant APC stuff about trusting in almighty "stretch" to achieve great fit. Assuming they're sanforized, get them to "fit" right off the bat.

Denim will stretch, maybe bag a bit here and there. Then you wash it. It's not some psycho concept slowly stripping indigo away. As it dries, you'll get the form back.

2. willrh1

willrh1 Senior member

This is most prevalent in the fades of honeycombs. Fits with a bit of room in the leg get much better honeycomb fades than tighter/more tapered fits.

United vs Bayern in the final, repeat of 99. Hernandez with an injury time winner.

3. TooAwesome

TooAwesome Senior member

im pretty sure the thing is........the majority of the people are either super skinny sticks that need it that tight, or theyre clunky/like the 'straight' (IH/vintage) fit

also on the comb fades, i prefer big/distinctive combs over tight horizontal (girly tight) combs too

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  4. MDSsmith

MDSsmith Member

I'm not so sure of that. These are the loosest jeans I own and also the ones with the most progress, but I also have a lot of skinny fitting jeans. My skinny guy naked and famous and my sized down skin-tight unbrandeds also show all the same sort of creases though: spread out combs (non-parallel), the whiskers running down from the entire seam, etc.

Aside from a few basic ground rules I really don't think you can say pinpoint a specific fit or way of wearing that can guarantee good fading.

5. Jay-D

Jay-D Senior member Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG] Tight fit is not the key to great fades, but they turn out quite well in my opinion! BOM003 at 6 months, no washes.

6. dusttruffle

dusttruffle Senior member

Argentino, at the risk of opening up another tangent ITT. Are any of your Alden's in the Barrie Last? I assume your Indy's are TruBalance.

Just wondered what size you were and if you had either Nike Free Run 3s or Wolverine 1k? and how did you size in them.

It gets particularly complicated (when dealing with UK sizes) in that some manufacturers (LLBean / Quoddy and others) state UK size as US size - half size
    whereas others like Wolverine or Nike take UK size as a whole size less than the US size. This is compounded by the fact that the one time I have tried on
    TruBalance, it was unclear if the box was marked as a UK size or a US size. [​IMG]
    The box said 8 and i assumed it was the UK size, but it wasnt clear and the SA was trying to say it was the US size, buti doubt it as 8 is the same UK size as the 1ks
    the SA was also selling me on them (405s) as "horsehide" [​IMG]

to add another layer of puzzle here are some (i assume TruBalance) in an E width
    http://shop.tres-bien.com/brand/alden/indy-boot-cordovan-burgundy

where it states UK = US

perhaps useful it also says UK 8 & US 8 = 28cm
    --- of course i dont know if this is an insole or outsole measurement [​IMG]

This will all probably be solved by a trip to the states (not just for the Alden, ....but [​IMG]

however the reason i ask is that if stock and coupon codes combine i would probably take the risk on the JCrew Barrie D width captoes in #8 or maybe a second from show mart in #8 indy TruBalance

tl;dr halp ?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  7. El Argentino

Oh, Jay - I don't want to ever argue with you. :) And my argument is that tight fit =/= key ingredient to "epik fadezz" - not that it can't still occur.
    You bet, man. FWIW. I wear a US 12 in FR3s (but feel I could use the extra toe-room of a 12.5 sometimes), a US 11.5 B/D in my Indy (and feel I could go down another size in length), and US 11.5 B/D in Barrie-lasted Cigar LWBs. In general, I refer to myself as a US 12. Between my Indy's and Barrie-shoes, I went with the same size (11.5) but definitely feel more roomy in the Tru-Balance last. I've traditionally heard that w/ FR3s, you go +.5 (I went TTS, kinda tight) Tru-Balance, you go -.5 (I did so, kinda loose) Barrie, you go -.5 (I did so, just right) Take that for what it's worth - hope it helps a bit.

1 person likes this.
  8. dusttruffle

thx Argentino

-----

it will be interesting to see if there is consistently different fading behaviour between the fit patterns of the BOM003 and the 702.

Personally i find them a pain to photograph. Certainly at the early stage. Doesnt seem to matter so much for the West Coast US posters, all that UV!

9. El Argentino

:slayer::slayer::slayer:

White balance all the way

10. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Senior member

Jay...let's see some pics of the combs!

11. mysterymeatpete

mysterymeatpete Well-Known Member

~2 months of wear

[​IMG]

And you can add me to the destroyed crotch inseam thread club :( Crotch has taken a lot of wear it seems...some areas look like they'll bust sooner or later. Think I should take any preemptive measures??
    [​IMG]

12. dusttruffle

dont know if you should take any preemptive measures, probably not yet. as someone else
    has said the seams seem double stitched. the pink thread is not the only stitch. there is blue thread as well AFAIK.
    so no panic necessary i believe

I know what I'll do if i need to reinforce the crotch though. but it's super secret ...

....well in the spirit of sharing, here is what i am gonna do at some point if it is needed.
    I could claim this as my own idea, but it isnt really.

Someone in the SuFu heavyweight contest reinforced the crotch using a cross stitch,
    like the moc toe stitching on these .....

[​IMG] ..... quoddy maliseet oxfords

now imagine this, but using a peach / pink momotaro inseam thread.... ????

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  13. El Argentino

14. Muri

Muri Well-Known Member

i'm not even in this contest because i don't get to wear my 702s too often but my crotch inseam is falling apart as well.

15. MDSsmith

MDSsmith Member

I used a cross stitch with black thread because I couldn't find a peach to match. I'm not sure if it prevented anything but it made me feel safer I guess.

16. TooAwesome

TooAwesome Senior member

how thick are the regular threads? and how thin would they have to be for repairs to look seamless? obviously using an indigo thread would help but is there a strong yet thin thread?

17. Rightyow77

Rightyow77 Senior member

Polycore thread will always fair better than anything 100% cotton. Usually can get them in the same gauge too. Not sure about momo pink though

18. willrh1

willrh1 Senior member

[​IMG].[​IMG]

Bout 3 months or so of wear now

1 person likes this.
  19. El Argentino

Looking really good, man.

20. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Solid dedication in this thread! I like it