1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Moleskin trouser question

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ambulance Chaser, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Distinguished Member

A little while back, I bought a pair of unfinished cotton moleskin trousers.  Should I wash and tumble dry the trousers once (or more than once) before bringing them to my tailor for hemming?  I'm sure the answer to this question is obvious, but I wanted to be certain.

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Yes. At least, I would, and do.

3. thc

thc Senior Member

Oh, I never knew you were supposed to do this with moleskin trousers. What does this do?

4. Nick M

Nick M Distinguished Member

Everything made from cotton is going to shrink in the first few washes - maybe a little, maybe a lot. Better to shrink them to their 'real' size before you have them hemmed, than cut off the ends, and have them later shrink into 'high-water' trousers... Um, unless the other gentlemen are referring to some other property of moleskin, which has completely eluded me. In that case, ignore everything I've just said... [​IMG] Nick.