• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

moleskin cotton blazer vs velvet blazer

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
I tried searching to no avail. What is the difference between molehair or mole cotton and velvet cotton? They both seem same to me other than molehair usually comes in earthy tones and in casual coats while velvet comes in richer and party colors in more dressy blazers.
Any insight i thank you.

I would say velvet is finer and with a longer pile.

Sebastian

Reaction score
And they are made in an entirely different manner.

The result is, that moleskin is a rough material for the country, while velvet is more for ballrooms...
teacha.gif

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sebastian

The result is, that moleskin is a rough material for the country, while velvet is more for ballrooms...
teacha.gif

Correct - moleskin is woven then sheared whilst velvet is essentialy woven fabric cut in half to form two pieces of fabric

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sebastian

teacha.gif

Fot what occasions would one wear a velvet blazer?

Sebastian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim

I would wear a velvet smoking jacket for semiformal events, like dinners or rather informal balls.

Mad_Hatter

Reaction score
I can't really comment on the technical details of the differences but I do have a 3/4 moleskin overcoat which I love. The feel of the material is great and it has a wonderful texture and personally I think that moleskin is more versatile than is velvet. I think it can be used more easily for both casual and 'dressed up' looks. Whereas velvet doesn't work quite as well as an everyday material.

HHD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
I can't really comment on the technical details of the differences but I do have a 3/4 moleskin overcoat which I love. The feel of the material is great and it has a wonderful texture and personally I think that moleskin is more versatile than is velvet. I think it can be used more easily for both casual and 'dressed up' looks. Whereas velvet doesn't work quite as well as an everyday material.

+1

Really like moleskin, particularly when it has been washed a few times.

Velvet is great too, but it's really better suited for evening... I liked the dandyish velvet jacket trend of a couple of years ago, when it seemed everyone was wearing them with jeans day and night, but that look has gone off the boil somewhat and velvet looks out of place outside a nightclub. However I did see velvet jackets in pumpkin orange and apple green in Etro this autumn and I thought they looked incredible. Good luck to whoever can wear them!

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim

I choose to wear velvet in many different ways. I might wear a velvet jacket with jeans, I might wear a velvet tux (jacket only)

amdovers

Reaction score
What style literature say about the right use of moleskin and velvet.
In what kind of situations it´s ok to wear velvet?

amdovers

Reaction score
you mean is for Pimps?
I thought it was for a chic look

amdovers

Reaction score
you mean it is for Pimps?
I thought it was for a chic look

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have an ID for this blazer, or know where to get one like it?

11710gertgreen2686web1.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads