• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ModernTailor.com is dead, what other good low-price online tailors are recommended?

Troll2

Reaction score
Modern Tailor's service has gotten so atrocious that I need to find a replacement. My last order just sat there (after they collected my payment of course) for over a month, with no indication it was being tailored or that it was shipped. I reached out, they decided to reply and say "oh thanks, yeah we will send it" basically. So I got it a few weeks later. Nearly 2 months from order to receipt.

I ordered again last month. It has been 25 days and no response, nothing, but of course they collected payment. I sent emails to support twice in the last week, with no reply, whereas previously they had been pretty good about honoring their 24-hour reply rule. At this point they've just lost my trust completely, and even if I get these shirts, I can't imagine going through this painstaking process every time I want a new shirt. It's like pulling teeth. Maybe they have cut staff or are under new management, but whatever the cause, it's unacceptable.

Are there good alternatives in 2018? Looking for similar price point ($60-$80 a shirt) and ideally a company that can copy shirts exactly if I send a sample, like Modern Tailor did. Thanks!!

unsuitable

Reaction score
I am in the same boat today. On my last order (4 shirts) I chose "express shipping". This cost me $72 USD and the shipping took over 10 days. I did not ever get a tracking update - the tracking number simply stated "in transit" with no location and no dates, times at all.

I have been happy with the shirting, the price points and the build times, but for over $70 for shipping I expect to know where my package is - is this too much of a first world problem to be relatable? I could have gotten another shirt for that $70 and gone with "it will get there someday" shipping.

I like Luxire but the prices and lead time are both highly variable. But I do like the fast shipping.

I will look at @spiermackay as well.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a second I thought you meant they are out of business.

unsuitable

Reaction score
I did a double take as well. I think they are dead to him, maybe.

I am less final but I'm not helping the MT customer service to improve by lowering my standards.

I received an order last week so they are not out of business.

Moose22

Reaction score
They're dead to me, too.

I tried them with some others before I settled on Hemrajani (MyTailor) -- slightly more expensive be damned well worth it for how much better they are.

First, I'm weird shaped. I'm not skinny, but mostly I have very broad shoulders and a fat neck. I wear a 19 or 19.25" collar. I entered all my body sizes and Modern Tailor rejected them. I confirmed them and they rejected them. I measured a shirt that fit and they accepted it, I paid, and they rejected the measurements as their tailor said they couldn't possibly be correct. I told them to refund my money. Seriously guys, I'm stout but I don't wash myself with a rag on a stick.

They never refunded, though I didn't realize it. 6 months later I decided to try some of these custom order places again and couldn't get the fit shirt price, contacted them, and the still had my rejected order on file so I sent new measurements -- that had been taken by a tailor -- and, you guessed it, rejected. So I sent pictures of me with the tape measure, to prove that I have no ass and a giant neck.

The shirt they sent was comically shaped. They took in the area around the hips and ballooned out the middle. Literally the opposite of everything I would want in a custom made shirt. Made me look like blueberry on a toothpick, or a ******** in a pencil skirt. I gave up, donated it to the DAV and found a better shirtmaker.

Seriously, I'm sending body measurements, the tailor's job is to create the most attractive garment that fits those measurements. Smooth out the curves, if you will. A good shirt on me comes in on the back a little tapers down from my shoulders, and just sort of dangles around my pockets without too much taper. These idiots just took my measurements and added an inch to each one and sewed whatever scraps they had laying around together. The shirt was genuinely bad, and the effort to get something so bad was ridiculous.

For cheap shirts, I did OK with Natty Shirts. They tried really hard to make something that fit me and their sales are $29 for some OK fabrics. You aren't getting Thomas Mason or anything, but it fits and is nicer than anything comparably priced on Amazon. I mostly do MyTailor.com now, as they are excellent. Shirts are $90-200+ depending on what you get, but decent quality dress shirts are regularly under $120 and extremely well made. I now have 5 of their dress shirts and three casual shirts in linen and the next two I have planned will be from them as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads