Modernist Cuisine; the $625 cookbook.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by mm84321, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

So, apparently I was right. A steak cooked in a pan gains approximate 10c/18f while resting. [​IMG]

I have never understood nailing this down to an exact number.

I understand a steak's center heats up as the heat within the steak itself (hotter at the outside where it has been in contact with the pan, cooler on the inside) normalizes and becomes more uniform (entropy!) but how much the center heats up is dependent on the size of the steak.

What does your fancy book have to say about it?

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I have never understood nailing this down to an exact number.

I understand a steak's center heats up as the heat within the steak itself (hotter at the outside where it has been in contact with the pan, cooler on the inside) normalizes and becomes more uniform (entropy!) but how much the center heats up is dependent on the size of the steak.

What does your fancy book have to say about it?

Of course it is size dependent, but most times you assume a standard inch steak. The section on meat cooking is too long to summarize, and so far resting rises are only treated briefly.

3. Douglas

thanks. i can see the number being a lot higher for a pan-cooked inch-thick steak than for, say, an oven-cooked rib roast.

Still, it seems silly to get too precise with this sort of thing as there are just too many variables. Significant digits and whatnot.

4. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

thanks. i can see the number being a lot higher for a pan-cooked inch-thick steak than for, say, an oven-cooked rib roast.

Still, it seems silly to get too precise with this sort of thing as there are just too many variables. Significant digits and whatnot.

I would imagine the resting temperature to raise a lot more for an oven-cooked rib roast, actually. The surface area of the roast means that it can hold a lot more heat to continue cooking after you pull it out. Whereas the steak would cool off much more quickly, even though it was cooked at a higher temperature.

Anyway, looks like the Modernist Cuisine guy has the same magic resting kitchen that Matt does.

5. Douglas

i'm not sure there's any point in getting into a big debate about it, but the ratio of volume to surface area in a relatively thin steak is a lot higher than in a roast, and the surface temp of the meat is likely lower in the oven than in a pan to boot.

6. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

I have a probe thermometer and a ribeye steak that I am going to cook tonight to test this out. If an 18° rise is true, than I will pull the steak off the heat once it reaches an internal temp of 112° for medium rare. Once off, should I cover with foil, or just leave it be?

Will report back.

7. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

I have a probe thermometer and a ribeye steak that I am going to cook tonight to test this out. If an 18° rise is true, than I will pull the steak off the heat once it reaches an internal temp of 112° for medium rare. Once off, should I cover with foil, or just leave it be? Will report back.
    That sounds a little low to me for medium rare?

8. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

130, 135 is about medium rare

i would also imagine mass of the steak influences how much the core temperature rises

damn. i really want this book

9. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Pull it out at 118-120, mm.

10. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

I will weigh the steak, take it's measurements, and pull at 112° to determine if this 18° business is true. The thermostat will be set at 68° F and all windows will be sealed tight.
    That sounds a little low to me for medium rare?
    130° F is perfect for me.

11. itsstillmatt

Pull it out at 118-120, mm.
    Kyle, why do you hate science?

12. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Kyle, why do you hate science?
    I love science.

13. itsstillmatt

thanks. i can see the number being a lot higher for a pan-cooked inch-thick steak than for, say, an oven-cooked rib roast. Still, it seems silly to get too precise with this sort of thing as there are just too many variables. Significant digits and whatnot.
    I agree with this. I don't ever use a thermometer for just that reason, though I have, of course, checked from time to time in my magic kitchen.

14. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

Matt was right. Pulled the steak out at 114°, let it rest for 12 minutes under foil, and the internal temperature rose to 131° F, for a total carry over of 17°. It was roughly an inch thick before being cooked, seared both sides in a cast iron skillet, then finished it in a 400° oven.

15. itsstillmatt

Matt was right. Pulled the steak out at 114°, let it rest for 12 minutes under foil, and the internal temperature rose to 131° F, for a total carry over of 17°. It was roughly an inch thick before being cooked, seared both sides in a cast iron skillet, then finished it in a 400° oven.
    Was it better than when you would take it out later? I find that more resting time is always better.