• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Tailor vs. My Tailor - Poll

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide between the MT's for a shirt I am going to order. My question is do I get the modern tailor shirt that is half the price of the my tailor shirt. (exec. collection) So we are comparing a $50 shirt to a $100 shirt.

I know that seems unfair, but keep in mind that I am on a budget.

I ordered the $20 blue shirt from modern tailor, and while very happy with the fit, the cloth is not the best. Am I an idiot for expecting different from a different fabric? (both are 80 thread count)

If the exec. collection shirt will have better fabric than I will get it, but if its similar why waste the money?

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mytailor is one step down from (machine stitched) bespoke. Exec fabric will be better than 80 count.

Where's the poll?

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
Mytailor is one step down from (machine stitched) bespoke.

Where's the poll?

Is it up now? I can see it.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know modern tailor but everything I've read suggests mytailor is on another level. They will measure you in person, give the option to buy name-brand fabrics, use better trimmings, handle special requests well, etc. They also claim to do more than just "measurements" in drafting their patterns--MTM adjustments for posture and the like.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ataturk
I don't know modern tailor but everything I've read suggests mytailor is on another level. They will measure you in person, give the option to buy name-brand fabrics, use better trimmings, handle special requests well, etc. They also claim to do more than just "measurements" in drafting their patterns--MTM adjustments for posture and the like.

I should add that this would be online. I don't think they come to my area
frown.gif

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Exactly. Joe takes a photo of you so he can have your posture on file. I would save up and pay for better fabrics, Thomas Mason 100/2, 120/2 most bang for the buck. Executive Collection is nice enough, but can be hit or miss.

nohio

Reaction score
Having used both, I would definitely recommend MyTailor. The reliability and quality of the construction is miles ahead of Modern Tailor, regardless of the fabric.

david123

Reaction score
I have been using ModernTailor for about a year and just had a meeting with MyTailor and placed an order for my first shirt, one in a fabric I couldn't get from ModernTailor. My view is that ModernTailor, especially if you buy the two-ply fabrics when they are on sale, is an incredible value and the quality of the product is quite high. I personally got carried away with the slim-fit fad and made a bunch of shirts too small for my body, but even on those, I'm genuinely impressed by the quality. They also deliver in half the time.

After the MyTailor meeting, I'm a tad skeptical of the value of their in-person measurements. The tailor's view was basically that the ModernTailor shirt I was wearing was essentially perfect in fit. He took some measurements, but frankly I'm more comfortable using the ones I had than the few he took, which sounded off to me.

I would suggest trying two-ply sale ModernTailor fabrics for now. See how happy you are with them and get your measurements absolutely perfect. MyTailor has a much larger selection of fabrics and many higher-end fabrics, so if you see something they have that ModernTailor doesn't, give them a try eventually. I'll comment more on MyTailor when I get my first shirt. I've heard they have nice buttons, and to me at this point the biggest drawback of ModernTailor is that the buttons remain pretty lousy.

david123

Reaction score

Forgive my ignorance, but what are trimmings?

tooley

Reaction score
The buttons, construction, and most especially collar of my mytailor shirt is definitely a step up from any of my modern tailor shirts, at double the price. Fabric feels slightly better too. Now, I was fit in person by Joe and told him I was looking for a slim fit and it is fairly baggy with huge sleeves and gigantic cuffs, and the sleeves are a bit short too. Collar and buttons are the best I have, construction is on par with several others like cottonwork and proper cloth.

sellahi22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
Mytailor is one step down from (machine stitched) bespoke. Exec fabric will be better than 80 count.

Where's the poll?

Mytailor is fully bespoke if you are measured in person by Joe (as opposed to filling out measurements online or meeting anyone other than Joe). That is, they create a pattern from scratch. For stuff like collar and cuff shape, you can sit with Joe as he draws it out using his CAD software, provided that there aren't other customers waiting. Posture, shoulder drop, other asymmetries, etc. can all be accounted for.

Also they will do handstitching on the shoulders (and some other places which I now forget) for $35/shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics