• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Tailor - My Experience (Disaster!)

PAESQ

Reaction score
I been lurking for a while, but decided it was time for me to jump in the discussion.

I decided to place an order with Modern Tailor after reading reviews on the board and my inability to find reasonably priced shirts that fit me. All I can say is that modern tailor has been the most miserable clothes shopping experience in my life.

Week 1

Ordering: The online ordering was a breeze. In lieu of emailing my measurements, I sent my best fitting dress shirt so they could use the measurements and a note telling them to decrease the bicep measurement by about 1/2".

Week 2

The sample shirt arrived at MT and James immediately contacted me to clarify my note. So far, so good. James confirmed the note and said he would send the order to process.

Week 3

Nothing

Week 4

Nothing

Week 5

I contacted MT because I thought the process was taking a long time since I read a lot of people had turn arounds of 2 weeks. My first email via MT's website was never acknowledged. I sent another email to customer service and was told that my order had a production hold on it for some unknown reason. MT followed up and told me that they solved the problem (with no explanation) and that they would ship the shirts in a few days. I was aggravated at this point since the shirts should have shipped the week before (which they acknowledged). I asked multiple times why I wasn't contacted the previous weeks and no one could give me an answer.

Week 7

My order arrives with "my" sample shirt. I open the package and the shirts looked great in the package. Then I looked at the sample shirt. It was NOT my shirt. I felt sick because I sent them my best shirt. I hoped that they only mailed the wrong shirt back to me. Nope!!!! They used someone else's sample shirt to make my shirts and they are no where near accurate.

I contacted MT regarding this issue, but have received no response. I do not think China celebrates Thanksgiving, but who knows.

Sooooo, here I am almost two months from placing an order and I am out $110 and my best fitting shirt.

Thank you Modern Tailor for the worse clothing experience of my life.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You did not need to post a new thread about this. Modern Tailor has on official thread with a representative that reads the thread and takes care of problems. You should post this there.

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
Damn, that's rough. I don't usually advocate outing people, but it appears you've tried to resolve the issue with them first and you haven't received a response. How many times / when did you contact them about the issue?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure they will be able to help you. It may take some time, though. In my experience, their customer service is not bad at all.

flipster

Reaction score
Hoping the best for you. Just sent out my favourite pair of trousers to them.. lets see if they come back.

PAESQ

Reaction score
I reposted in the MT thread. I know that a lot of people like them so I am trying to keep a level head about it. No matter how my situation is resolved, I will not order from them again.

PAESQ

Reaction score
MT refunded my money for the order. I doubt I will see my shirt again. Can anyone recommend a different online tailor for shirts?

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have had a good experience with mytailor.com. However, I used their traveling tailor (M Kenny specifically) to measure me. I did a fit confirmation on one shirt before finalizing my first order. It took about 4 weeks. Then I waited another 3 weeks and several washings before M Kenny returned to town. He modified the fit in a couple places (wrist and biceps were taken in a bit, chest was let out 0.5"). Otherwise it was nearly pefect for a first cut. My next three shirts were perfect and a few months later I went back for more. He took a look at a 5 month worn and washed shirt from the second batch and said it needed no improvement from his perspective. Another order is pending.

Mytailor travels to a lot of cities. I don't know where you are located, but check their site for dates of travel. I would never just use my own measurements or that of a shirt. You need to know the fabric and how much it will shrink as well as the manufacturing process to get the fit right after multiple washings. To do that you need a tailor familiar with the process to measure you in person. That means either local or traveling tailor. I'm sure others have had success other ways, but I'm not into trial and error. I'm into getting it right or close to right the first time.

bigj93702

Reaction score
Wow that is rough. Makes you wonder if someone else has your best shirt and your custom order.

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scurvyfreedman
I have had a good experience with mytailor.com.

Mytailor travels to a lot of cities. I don't know where you are located, but check their site for dates of travel. I would never just use my own measurements or that of a shirt.

+1. I also use MyTailor time to time. Joe is pretty damned good and extremely patient. Just tell him what type of fabric you're looking for and he will show you tons of choices. Joe really loves what he does.

glimmerskin

Reaction score
That is what you get for trying to save a little money with bullshit overseas tailors.

and online too. tsk tsk tsk

I'm honestly not trying to troll here. Please people have some consideration for your wardrobe.

Before you do something you regret just have some of your off the rack shirts altered. If they fit well in the shoulders and the collar, with just a little extra in the sleeve a skilled alterationist can make them look very nice.

That or go bespoke with a REAL. LIVE. PERSON. WITH PINS. AND A BRAIN.

dirtyturk

Reaction score
do you have 15.5" collar? i might have your shirt.

no, just kidding but i would highly recommend cottonwork.

take your (2nd) best fitting shirt, measure it yourself, order the cheapest fabric type, measure the new shirt when you get it, wash it, see how it fits and then tweak the measurements (an inch less waist or whatever) and your second shirt should be near perfect.

I have been dealing with them for about 6months and my second shirt was lost in the mail - they gave me full store credit and all emails have been replied to in less than 24hrs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads